Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 2:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai/ bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stretching the Truth

Yesterday I had my fourth BJJ class, during which I strained my groin. I'm a stretching Nazi, so it was a little pissed when it happened, it also sucks that I may have to miss my Muay Thai class Friday.

Anyway, I happened upon this NYtimes article and it discussed some interesting discoveries about the typical stretches we do or see others implementing.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...al&oref=slogin

To paraphrase: A study shows static stretching may weaken or harm muscles if ones body temperature is not raised before training.

"There is a neuromuscular inhibitory response to static stretching, says Malachy McHugh, the director of research at the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. The straining muscle becomes less responsive and stays weakened for up to 30 minutes after stretching, which is not how an athlete wants to begin a workout.
    It goes on to say that dynamic stretching is better suited for our pre-training needs and that static stretching is fine post training when our body temperature is raised.

I'm gonna get back to icing my groin now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 3:16am

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To corroborate, at a parkour class I attended, the teacher told us not to do static stretching before training because it makes the muscles weaker.

On a random tangent, I have inadvertently fooled myself into doing more strength training that way. After stretching, my legs felt weak, so I would instinctively do more exercises to strengthen them.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is how I like people to make posts. Put a link and add a commentary with/about it.

Thanks!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 7:13am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I can only agree seeing as a recently pulled my hamstring stretching.

Even when I'm just doing a weights session i generally do 10 minutes or so on the treadmill BEFORE stretching.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 8:30am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed do not just jump on the mat and stretch. Inside the article was a link to another article with a good program. http://www.aclprevent.com/pepprogram.htm

I am a very firm believer in good stretching that not only increases range of motion but develops strength in the muscle areas. Here is the LSU warm up program also very very good and highly researched. http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/A..._Football.aspx
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 12:34pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is actually (very) old news, but nobody seems to care. I know guys who have seen the studies and still stretch the way they always have. Hell, I see personal trainers having clients doing static stretches before lifting...but maybe that's a bad example since 99% of all personal trainers are morons.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 5:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Panda
    ... 99% of all personal trainers are morons.
    Agreed! Every time I go to the gym i see some personal trainer having there client do something wrong. Like teaching them how to using a Urg incorrectly.

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 5:38pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first few classes at the gym I was stretching like a mad man before every class and my instructor actualy yelled at me. We do a HARD warm up and then we stretch in honest. You can feel the difference after a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 5:55pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you think of Scott Sonnon's stuff? He does Prasara Yoga and this Intuflow thing that is like ROM rehab that looks pretty cool to me. Pretty impressive.

YouTube - Scott Sonnon @ Aussie Fitness Expo 08
    If you skip to 4:36 there is an impressive demo.