Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/22/2003 4:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Disaster Master
    I started this thread with the intention of discussing kicking techniques and strategies for people who arenít/canít be good kickers.

Instead Iíve read opinions on how to be a good kicker which havenít gone beyond the advice of practicing more. How disappointing.
    What did you expect?
    Good coaching/training and practice are all you need.
    Oh and some hard work, dedication and patience.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2003 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who is a good kicker and a shitty grappler, my advice is:

learn grappling
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    12/22/2003 6:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the best advice for kicking is to get better field position. special teams can be the deciding factor in a close game.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/22/2003 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to disagree with Jenfucius on this one. I personally feel that the onus of responsibility in most games should not be on the kicker. If the game is decided solely on the basis of 3 points there was likely a failing somewhere else in the game.

This can be argued against based on the parity that has, to a degree, come over the league.

game dog

Posted On:
    12/22/2003 6:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > How do you compensate for your inferior kicking?
    It's been said before, and I would second it: learn how to grapple.

Or, more generally, focus on getting into and staying in a range where kicks are irrelevant. Whether that is takedown + groundfighting or clinch + knee or clinch + dirty boxing is up to you and the rule set (if any) you fight under.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    12/22/2003 9:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dochter
    I tend to disagree with Jenfucius on this one. I personally feel that the onus of responsibility in most games should not be on the kicker. If the game is decided solely on the basis of 3 points there was likely a failing somewhere else in the game.

This can be argued against based on the parity that has, to a degree, come over the league.
    i went with the assumption that calling out the special teams was already a given. certainly you're in a much better position if you can keep the drive going and don't need to call out the kicker in the first place. no one is arguing with you there.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 10:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Rise from the grave!"

Disaster Master, did you ever try any of this advice? What worked for you? What didn't?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/15/2004 11:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Jenfucius
    i went with the assumption that calling out the special teams was already a given. certainly you're in a much better position if you can keep the drive going and don't need to call out the kicker in the first place. no one is arguing with you there.
    This reduces my argument to a simplistic argument along the lines of "if they get the third down conversion they don't need to kick". This is obviously a moronic thing to say and completely misses the point of what I was saying to Kuroyamian levels.

My point was that having the game be decided based on the kicking ability of a 150# guy who isn't allowed to be hit by any other player means that somewhere else scoring opprortunities were missed. This may have occured through lack of excecution of plays, dropped passes or simple bad luck (or if lucky enough to see an actual good game, because the teams are equally matched, that is pretty rare in the regular season). I personally feel that games should not end 6-3 with fans and teammates bemoaning the missed 48 yard field goal attempt that would have tied the game.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456