Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/17/2003 10:27pm

Style: MIXED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Poor Kickers

A question for people who arenít good at kicking and probably will never be (like me).

How do you compensate for your inferior kicking?

First I only train one kick (cut kick). My reasoning is that itís better to be good at only one kick than to be poor at a lot of kicks. Second I work my kicks into combos so I never lead with a kick.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 9:37am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhh why do you think you will never be good at kicking? and do you mean kicking high or kicking at all?

You should tell your coach your concerns and ask for help specifically with technique. Also if you have a good cut kick that's 4 kicks if you learn the targets. Inside and outside on both legs. Each one of those kicks opens up you opponent differently. I tend to find that Developing kicking power is easier than developing punching power, so I wouldn't write it off yet.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 9:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or try to focus on low kicking.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't kick anymore.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 10:03am

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey people,

I dont know, kicking is dam important i find. I do Ninjutsu, but nevertheless, a good mate of mine is a dam good Muay Thai fighter, and he has taught me that low kicks espically are very imiportant and effective. He says its not hard to learn, but hard to perfect. :) He is a wise man.

The way i see it , a body is like a building. No fuckinig use blowing the top half off if its still standing, if you just take the bottom out it will fall, i find that works on people as well :)
    HAHAHAH.

Take it easy

TRAIN HARD!!! :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 12:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Black_Rose

The way i see it , a body is like a building. No fuckinig use blowing the top half off if its still standing, if you just take the bottom out it will fall, i find that works on people as well :)
    However the terrorist went at the top and wrecked on of the biggest buildings in the world ;)

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 12:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kicking is a learned skill, the more you do the better.
    High kicking is NOT the important, some my argue NOT important at all.
    To negelct kicking is to negelect a tool, a weapon.
    But to spend massive amounts of time working of kicks that you will NEVER use/need, is not a good idea.

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 1:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but they look cool so shut up!!!!

:D
    j/k

"A question for people who arenít good at kicking and probably will never be (like me).

How do you compensate for your inferior kicking?"
    Practice more....
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 1:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're a grappler maybe neglecting kicks is okay. I know an amateur fighter who can't really kick, but can box well and has good BJJ skills. He was able to submit an opponent in 36 seconds (MMA rules). So for combat sports at least I don't think the kick is essential. You can't master everything, you just have to not focus on the stuff you don't like / aren't good at.
    For example, I don't like throws much (I still work on them though), so I put the brunt of my effort into groundwork and striking. And I practice the stuff I like and am comfortable with during randori/sparring. This is what works for me at least..

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    12/18/2003 1:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you know boxing and grappling you can drop the kicking from your arsenal.

Kicking is great exercise though and it does look cool...
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast