Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    BJJ, Judo & Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My conversion story, + question about shin-kicks

This ridiculously long post has been shortened to:

I did Wing Chun, was converted to MMA, kicking the heavy bag made my shins hurt, will they stop hurting after a while? kthxbai
    Last edited by Rask; 1/13/2009 5:39am at .

Style
    Kendo, Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, you can rag on the Chun as much as you like, but don't be dissin' uniforms; the uniform neither adds to nor subtracts from the McDojo Experience, unless it costs ninety dollars, can only be bought from the school, and is essential to developing proper chi focus in order to cast the fung shui hadouken. Plus, the kung fu uniform is possibly the sexiest MA uniform EVAR. At least in my opinion.

Yes,your shins hurting is normal, and yes, it will go away, probably in a month or two. There are things you can do to make them hurt a hell of a lot more now, but I don't really think there is a way to speed up the process, so just keep on kicking the **** out of that bag.

Though, if you think kicking the bag hurts, wait until you end up kicking some fucker in the shin, with your shin, without padding; that **** -hurts-.

Also, drink lots of milk and possibly take calcium supplements; Tougher bones will result in less broken and otherwise damaged ones, like this nasty chip off my shin I'm suffering now.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there has been loads of discussion on shin conditioning in the past, if you have a look around you'll find plenty of info.

i admire you for being able to change your entire view of fighting. it's really not easy to do something like that after having invested so much of yourself in the bullshit. it can happen to anyone. well done.
    Last edited by danno; 11/03/2008 11:47pm at .

Style
    BJJ, Judo & Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironcastknight
    Hey, you can rag on the Chun as much as you like, but don't be dissin' uniforms; the uniform neither adds to nor subtracts from the McDojo Experience, unless it costs ninety dollars, can only be bought from the school, and is essential to developing proper chi focus in order to cast the fung shui hadouken. Plus, the kung fu uniform is possibly the sexiest MA uniform EVAR. At least in my opinion.

Yes,your shins hurting is normal, and yes, it will go away, probably in a month or two. There are things you can do to make them hurt a hell of a lot more now, but I don't really think there is a way to speed up the process, so just keep on kicking the **** out of that bag.

Though, if you think kicking the bag hurts, wait until you end up kicking some fucker in the shin, with your shin, without padding; that **** -hurts-.

Also, drink lots of milk and possibly take calcium supplements; Tougher bones will result in less broken and otherwise damaged ones, like this nasty chip off my shin I'm suffering now.
    Thanks for the info. :) And yeah, my school's stance on uniforms was pretty much that. Shirt was $35, pants $50, shoes up to $100 (but the shoes didn't have to be bought from the club)... ugh. Glad that I can just train in shorts and a regular T-shirt now, hehe.

Thanks Danno. I guess I need to apologise to some members of the board for the way I acted when I was told and shown that WC is ****. I was basically a stubborn asshole at first.

Style
    wing chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, post the lineage over here:
    To the Chun- and Ex-Chunners out There - No BS Martial Arts

I am looking foreward to going to my next (first) throwdown and seeing if I will be the next in line to tear down the demagogue that is wing chun.
    Bullshido has forced me to come to terms with some unsettling truths as well. Anyway, good job facing it.

Style
    Sticks & Jits & Fritz
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember to look at the Chun on a case by case basis.

Adelaide has a lot of WC that teaches Thai-boxing as well.

We've now got a blossoming San-Shou and San-Shou plus knees tournament which I'm looking forward too going to next time it gets organized again.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    G'Day Tim,

Congratulations in the change of perpective (it was hard for me too) and kudos for being big enough to apologise for when you feel you were out of line. Hopefully people here will be able to give you some quality advice with whatever questions you may have.

Best of luck with it all.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be worried about condition.It will come by itself.Do you spar with shinpads?

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You joined in September and you've already managed to ask some very difficult questions and come to some uncomfortable conclusions about your style? That's pretty impressive, it took me years to drop my Kung Fu movie thinking.

Congratulations, and good luck with your new training.

Quote Originally Posted by wikidbounce
    Remember to look at the Chun on a case by case basis.

Adelaide has a lot of WC that teaches Thai-boxing as well.

We've now got a blossoming San-Shou and San-Shou plus knees tournament which I'm looking forward too going to next time it gets organized again.
    I find this very hard to believe.

No, not the Chunners cross training in Muay Thai and entering into San Shou tournaments thing, what I find hard to believe is that there is anything in Adelaide other than churches and serial killers. :help:

Style
    BJJ, Judo & Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys. :)

I feel though that soon I'll come to miss the uniforms and belts and the fact that I was -good- at it. The hardest part about switching styles is going from being one of the senior members of the club, a position which I earned over four years of effort and dedication, to being an absolute beginner who has to re-earn the respect of a martial arts club.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last