Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 142021222324 2526272834 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 4:40am

Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Apparently, lifting weights actually burns more calories than CV in the long run because of the effect it has on your Metabolism I.E. speeding it up.

Can anyone confirm this or is it bollocks?
    Weight lifting burns calories, yes, but mostly glycogene (sp?) which is converted to lactic acid in an anaerobic process.

To burn calories in the form of fat, you need aerobic exercise. If you're untrained, you will burn mostly glycogene. When the glycogene in the muscles is depleted, or almost depleted, the body switches to burning fat. Keep going long enough (=hours and hours) and the body will start to break down protein aka muscle mass.

The more you train aerobically, the smoother and more gradual is the switch to burning energy from fat.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 10:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigSwede
    glycogene (sp?) which is converted to lactic acid in an anaerobic process.
    Not necessarily.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid_fermentation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

To burn calories in the form of fat, you need aerobic exercise.
    Not necessarily.

Getting in shape, and I've got some questions - Page 3 - No BS Martial Arts
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8897392

If you're untrained, you will burn mostly glycogene. When the glycogene in the muscles is depleted, or almost depleted, the body switches to burning fat.
    Not fat. Liver glycogen.

Keep going long enough (=hours and hours) and the body will start to break down protein aka muscle mass.
    Not "hours and hours". Most sources I've seen that give a number put cortisol spikes at about an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 6:24pm

Style: Kyokushin, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightin Penguin
    But the questions are..........How much do you grunt, and how loud? THAT is the difference maker if you are just grunting because it is the natural thing to do when lifting anything heavy and in repetition. Or if you are a musclehead luggage-carrier.
    I was just thinking about that since some of the people said they do it here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    My style field may say "Karate", but I don't any crap about kiais adding anything to fighting ability either, so let's not waste time going there, thnx.
    Another Karate practitioner who doesn't believe in kiais besides me!? Awesome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZMaxX
    Another Karate practitioner who doesn't believe in kiais besides me!? Awesome.
    i am not one to kia either ,in our dojo there are a couple of ppl who feel the need to rattle the walls and give out heart attacks, i kia during tests because they make me but that's it.
    But since we are on the subject of ppl who suck how about the guy who always wants to show his instructor something he learned at his old school i.e "this is how we threw front balls kicks at my old dojo" if that's the case go back geesh no one cares

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kempo/jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only do Gym people suck, but those Fck’n slackers that work at the Gym are just as bad if not worse. We all have seen the guy or girl that has no life outside of the gym and somehow gets a job as a “TRAINER”. You know those $7.50 an hour fckr’s who stand around the gym with the official trainer shirt holding up the walls with their back starring at everyone with their opinionating glare and bull shitting with the regular gym people. You ask them some question like how you could you get a tight ass sphincter just like his and the pompous prick expunges about some special bunghole routine he learned at the community college by some other jerk-off just like him. These guys always have the sleeves of their shirts rolled up to show off their biceps or in their off time wear the muscle T’s that barely cover their bitch tits. Nine times out of ten he’s the pill guy or the powder guy, the roid guy or even worse the AMWAY A-hole. Over hear any conversation and it is almost always referenced with topics full of high school nostalgia or this year’s Arnold Classic. The only regular Gym people impressed by the Gym “TRAINERS” are the Mary’s who patrol the free weights and shower stalls. Most of the congestion in the Gym is due to the Gym “TRAINERS”talking to the regular Gym people. These conversations can last up to 30 minutes and every damn time it when a regular Gym Dork has plopped his ass on the machine I want to use. Maybe the Gym “TRAINER” should be out on the floor encouraging the fatties to keep going another few seconds on the tread mill. There is nothing worse than to see the New Year’s resolution fatties wondering the gym trying to figure out what the hell to do all the while the Gym “TRAINER” is hitting on the Gym Skank. Gym Skank, Ya know the 30 something chick with the hot body, but a butter face who’s banged or tried to bang all the regular gym guys or gals. Maybe the “Trainer” should spot some people in the free weight room or maybe pick up and rack my weight when I’m done since they don’t do anything, but are most likely the cause of my ever increasing monthly dues.
    Gym “TRAINERS” and Gym People SUCK!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 6:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy
    i am not one to kia either ,in our dojo there are a couple of ppl who feel the need to rattle the walls and give out heart attacks, i kia during tests because they make me but that's it.
    But since we are on the subject of ppl who suck how about the guy who always wants to show his instructor something he learned at his old school i.e "this is how we threw front balls kicks at my old dojo" if that's the case go back geesh no one cares
    Same here. I only do it because they make me. If I want more power, I'm going to A) Do more exercises and/or B) practice my punching more.

At my school, the only time I did something close to that was when I had a new student inside crescent over my hand since he was new and that was the kick we were doing at the time. I remembered at my old school that was how we learned it and it actually worked for him.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZMaxX
    Same here. I only do it because they make me. If I want more power, I'm going to A) Do more exercises and/or B) practice my punching more.

At my school, the only time I did something close to that was when I had a new student inside crescent over my hand since he was new and that was the kick we were doing at the time. I remembered at my old school that was how we learned it and it actually worked for him.
    Kias are done quite extensively in my dojang. I do them, can't say they do anything to benefit me or anybody else, but when in rome.....

But, I can't stand being in the gym and hearing it. Typically it's coming from the guys suffering from imaginary lat syndrome.

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmachine
    Not only do Gym people suck, but those Fck’n slackers that work at the Gym are just as bad if not worse. We all have seen the guy or girl that has no life outside of the gym and somehow gets a job as a “TRAINER”. You know those $7.50 an hour fckr’s who stand around the gym with the official trainer shirt holding up the walls with their back starring at everyone with their opinionating glare and bull shitting with the regular gym people. You ask them some question like how you could you get a tight ass sphincter just like his and the pompous prick expunges about some special bunghole routine he learned at the community college by some other jerk-off just like him. These guys always have the sleeves of their shirts rolled up to show off their biceps or in their off time wear the muscle T’s that barely cover their bitch tits. Nine times out of ten he’s the pill guy or the powder guy, the roid guy or even worse the AMWAY A-hole. Over hear any conversation and it is almost always referenced with topics full of high school nostalgia or this year’s Arnold Classic. The only regular Gym people impressed by the Gym “TRAINERS” are the Mary’s who patrol the free weights and shower stalls. Most of the congestion in the Gym is due to the Gym “TRAINERS”talking to the regular Gym people. These conversations can last up to 30 minutes and every damn time it when a regular Gym Dork has plopped his ass on the machine I want to use. Maybe the Gym “TRAINER” should be out on the floor encouraging the fatties to keep going another few seconds on the tread mill. There is nothing worse than to see the New Year’s resolution fatties wondering the gym trying to figure out what the hell to do all the while the Gym “TRAINER” is hitting on the Gym Skank. Gym Skank, Ya know the 30 something chick with the hot body, but a butter face who’s banged or tried to bang all the regular gym guys or gals. Maybe the “Trainer” should spot some people in the free weight room or maybe pick up and rack my weight when I’m done since they don’t do anything, but are most likely the cause of my ever increasing monthly dues.
    Gym “TRAINERS” and Gym People SUCK!!!!
    Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!
    *rubs your belly*

The last 5 pages of this thread are hilarious. Also makes me terrified of ever going to a gym...><

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work out at a large commercial gym in Columbus, OH. Yeah, it's commercial, but the rates are cheap, it's in a good neighborhood, and it's a really nice gym. Mostly.

However, we have two guys who come in regularly, and who may be the most annoying duo I have ever experienced. They use a not terribly substantial amount of weight, and they don't grunt when they lift; they practically SCREAM. I move more weight than they do, without a spotter, and make NO noise whatsoever. They should just come in wearing neon clothing and carrying signs that say, "Look at me. Please love me. I'm a douchebag, but douchebags need love, too." I sat and laughed at them one day with another guy. The two were on the bench press, and sounded more like they were humping than lifting anything (except each others' nuts).

Seriously, all I want to do is work out. Why am I surrounded by assholes?