232390 Bullies, 4056 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 191 to 200 of 343
Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 2122232430 ... LastLast
  1. Kentucky Fried Chokin is offline
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar

    Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450

    Posted On:
    11/13/2008 10:47pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123
    Although I must admit to being a grunter
    That mean you're doing it right.
  2. fightin Penguin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Scranton, Pa
    Posts
    500

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:47am


     Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123

    Although I must admit to being a grunter
    But the questions are..........How much do you grunt, and how loud? THAT is the difference maker if you are just grunting because it is the natural thing to do when lifting anything heavy and in repetition. Or if you are a musclehead luggage-carrier.
  3. leec123 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lincolnshire, england
    Posts
    693

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:46am


     Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightin Penguin
    But the questions are..........How much do you grunt, and how loud? THAT is the difference maker if you are just grunting because it is the natural thing to do when lifting anything heavy and in repetition. Or if you are a musclehead luggage-carrier.
    low key grunt, more like a quiet tazmanian devil when i go heavy (i weigh about 165 and last time i trained legs managed 450lb for 6 reps knees to chest)

    I like to keep my workouts focussed. I can be in and out in just over an hour-(20 mins cardio then destroy one bodypart. Dont care if its right, its just how I like to train)
  4. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 9:23am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123
    last time i trained legs managed 450lb for 6 reps knees to chest
    sounds like you're guilty of doing leg press
    that's how you failed the "that guy" test
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  5. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 9:54am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightin Penguin
    But the questions are..........How much do you grunt, and how loud? THAT is the difference maker if you are just grunting because it is the natural thing to do when lifting anything heavy and in repetition. Or if you are a musclehead luggage-carrier.
    Another question:

    Will some intrepid soul explain, to this poor benighted kinesiology grad, how exactly it is that engaging the vocal cords (or even engaging in loud glottal-stops) helps to optimize muscular contraction in weight-bearing exercise? What is the precise biomechanical correlation?

    EDIT: My style field may say "Karate", but I don't buy any crap about kiais adding anything to fighting ability either, so let's not waste time going there, thnx.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 11/18/2008 10:54pm at .
  6. PointyShinyBurn is offline
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,221

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 9:57am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    Will some intrepid soul explain, to this poor benighted kinesiology grad, how exactly it is that engaging the vocal cords (or even engaging in loud glottal-stops) helps to optimize muscular contraction in weight-bearing exercise? What is the precise biomechanical correlation?
    Something to do with tightening the abdomen muscles when you expel air? Tennis players do it as well and my definitely-non-kiaing MT instructor has me breathe out when I strike...
  7. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:08am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Something to do with tightening the abdomen muscles when you expel air? Tennis players do it as well and my definitely-non-kiaing MT instructor has me breathe out when I strike...
    Breathing out at the right time, I understand. It was the vocal-cord or glottal-stop bit I was asking about. I was also asking because there are a number of people, from tennis players to boxers (and lifters), who seem to be content with a well-placed--but grunt-free--exhalation. So why the noise?
  8. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:34am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    Will some intrepid soul explain, to this poor benighted kinesiology grad, how exactly it is that engaging the vocal cords (or even engaging in loud glottal-stops) helps to optimize muscular contraction in weight-bearing exercise? What is the precise biomechanical correlation?
    i'd say that 'arousal' is what it falls under
    for the power of lightning, you make your own thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  9. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:41am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    i'd say that 'arousal' is what it falls under
    for the power of lightning, you make your own thunder
    What your couplet really means
    is we lift better when full of beans.
  10. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:46am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    What your couplet really means
    is we lift better when full of beans.
    i spent ten minutes straight trying to rhyme Bompa
    and now fart jokes? dude, i should stomp ya
    Last edited by TheRuss; 11/14/2008 11:00am at . Reason: sometimes the rhymes don't come on time
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.