233143 Bullies, 3603 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC Gyms Coming to a Location Near You!

I found this on the web today. I'm not calling bullshido on it as they are not claiming to train fighters but it looks like MMAercise has finally arrived.

:sad5:

From USATODAY

UFC to open line of gyms for regular folks
    Posted 13h 26m ago | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this
    By Oskar Garcia, Associated Press Writer
    LAS VEGAS The Ultimate Fighting Championship is planning to go toe-to-toe with the country's biggest fitness club chains, and the founder of 24 Hour Fitness is in its corner.

UFC Gym officials said they are close to breaking ground on the first of five health clubs planned in California, and plan to build more such gyms across the country and in Canada.

"We're going to force all these other gyms to take it up to another level," UFC President Dana White told The Associated Press on Monday. "Just like we have in the fight business, and everyone's trying to compete with us now, same thing's going to happen in the fitness industry."

White said most gyms and health clubs haven't changed in years, giving the mixed martial arts league an opportunity to attract new fitness customers or others wanting to get different kinds of workouts under the same roof. The gyms aren't intended for professional or amateur fighters.

White said each gym would offer classes in several different disciplines of martial arts, as well as unconventional workouts for people looking to change their routines. Each will contain an octagon, the eight-sided caged ring used in UFC fights.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta said the gyms would resemble the scenes at UFC fights, with energetic participants, music blasting, and large plasma televisions.

"We didn't want to just build one gym somewhere," Fertitta said. "This is going to become its own separate, profitable business and company on the side, and we're talking about rolling out hundreds of gyms all over the place."

According to numbers released Monday by the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association, a trade association for the fitness industry, a survey of 17 leading health club companies showed that sales increased an average of 1 percent year over year for the third quarter of 2008, mostly because of a 3.8 percent increase in membership dues. Revenues from other sources were nearly the same, the trade group said.

The index represented 200 individual clubs, the trade group said.

Fertitta and White said the Las Vegas-based UFC has partnered with former executives at 24 Hour Fitness, including Mark Mastrov, the founder of the company that today has more than 400 clubs in 16 states, 24 gyms in Asia and more than 3 million members.

Jim Rowley, chief executive of UFC Gym, told the AP that the five test gyms in northern and southern California would likely be open by early next year. He would not specify the cities where the gyms would be located, and said the company has not acquired land in other locations yet.

Mastrov resigned from 24 Hour Fitness in January 2008 to pursue other interests, according to the company. Rowley, a former co-president for 24 Hour Fitness in the United States, said he also left 24 Hour Fitness in 2008 but said his move was unrelated to Mastrov's.

Rowley said UFC Gym rates would be competitive with other chain fitness clubs and offer memberships and classes for men, women and children.

"Getting on a StairMaster, and then getting on a fixed-weight selectorized machine pushing weight -- it's over," Rowley said.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/2...29618706_x.htm
    and
    http://www.ufcgyms.com/
    Attached Images  

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 1:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd, judo, muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta said the gyms would resemble the scenes at UFC fights, with energetic participants, music blasting, and large plasma televisions
    This sounds like LARPing to me...

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 2:37pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by justheretolearn
    This sounds like LARPing to me...
    They are going to have an octagon but no fighter training. The larp train left the station awhile back.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 2:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana likes to give **** to the Affliction guys for being t-shirt makers getting into the fight business now he's a promoter trying to get into the Gym business

Kiss your money goodbye Dana

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 2:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "White said each gym would offer classes in several different disciplines of martial arts"

Not fighter training, but not LARPing if that's true. Just a fertile breeding ground for the worst in martial arts--ninjers and tip-tap sparring and TUF wannabes infesting the place and claiming credibility from "dat UFC place."

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 2:48pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Dana likes to give **** to the Affliction guys for being t-shirt makers getting into the fight business now he's a promoter trying to get into the Gym business

Kiss your money goodbye Dana
    If dana is smart, he's just going to be selling licenses and merchandise etc.

Otherwise, he is gonna get raepded.

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 2:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder how extreme couture Gyms are doing?

From my understanding not so well

The only way the UFC makes any money on this is by licensing their brand to an existing gym owner company like Premier fitness

It will make some $$ for a couple years and then fade away

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 2:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    If dana is smart, he's just going to be selling licenses and merchandise etc.

Otherwise, he is gonna get raepded.

You type 5 minutes quicker thanme

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 3:36pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at Finish Line the other day and noticed UFC-branded shirts that looked suspiciously like Affliction ones.

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 3:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    I was at Finish Line the other day and noticed UFC-branded shirts that looked suspiciously like Affliction ones.
    You mean ugly over priced poser wear?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast