Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 8:41pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WMA grappling

Of the rennaisance manuals, which ones contain the largest grappling sections(or most essential). I''ll be following up on the ARMA forums too, but I'd like the advice of those of you with a crosstraining background.

My ARMA group wants to cover some ringen, and i'm trying to figure out what the best starting point would be.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of the German sources I'd suggest von Danzig, all of Talhoffer's editions (for the pictures; he doesn't offer a whole lot of written instruction,) Paulus Kal, Nicholaes Petter if you want to extend to the late 1600s ... it would almost be easier to list the treatises that don't include extensive instructions on unarmed combat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:27am

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big fan of the codex, but I found that (in order to train the plays effectively) I first had to spend quite a bit of time drilling basic clinch work with my group (as I'm the only one with a grappling background). If your group has experienced grapplers then just train the plays from the books but if you have people with no grappling experience then you probably want to cover breakfalls, Shoot & Sprawl, pummelling & clinch surfing to start with. After all, the manuals were written for an audience who had been wrestling since childhood. A basic understanding of general principles is assumed by the authors.

EDIT: Western Martial Arts Forum please.
    Last edited by SBG-ape; 11/03/2008 11:38am at .

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all 5 of us?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape

Yeah, I keep trying ...

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape

Found it.

http://www.thearma.org/forum/index.php

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:49am

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all 5 of us?
    YES. I think more WMA people would post here, more non-WMA people would become aware of WMA & begin asking questions & the WMA people here would start to post more. Also, it would make me feel special, warm & fuzzy inside. I'm pretty sure that's the point of all martial arts study; isn't it?

Anyway: there's a reason you posted here as well as the ARMA forum. You get a different perspective when you compare your art across styles. I'm always interested to look at ARMA curriculum compared to MMA training & see what each side thinks of the other.
    Last edited by SBG-ape; 11/03/2008 11:52am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last push for a WMA-based BSD forum was a couple of months ago, when the proposal was to have a combined Western and Russian styles forum. There was actually pretty strong support for the idea at the time.

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a more informative post- I have maybe white-belt level sub skills from the bottom, and some decent knowledge of clinchwork from the filipino grappling i've done, and i am, as far as I can tell, far and away the best grappler in the group. I'm hoping to recruit a few wrestlers/bjj guys to help retard-proof our efforts at exploration by supervising us while we do a ringen session.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along those lines, I've been surprised by how little kampfringen (especially the basics of breakfalling, standing grappling etc.) is emphasized by many HEMA groups in the US. When you consider that it was obviously a huge aspect of historical dagger and longsword combat as well as strictly unarmed, you'd think that it would get more attention even from "weapon-centric" groups, including more integration into sparring (within the boundaries of reasonable safety).

There have been some clinics in the basics of grappling at HEMA/WMA conferences over the past few years; more of the same is required.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast