Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Portillo
    The El Macho, im curious to know how long do your bodybuilding/gym sessions go for. Why? Because i want to be like you.
    1. Uhm, I'm not a bodybuilder. Right now I am at 173-175lbs (when I started relying more on squats and deadlifts), the heaviest I've ever been... some of it is fat for sure... and poop. Up and until a little less than 2 years ago I was 145-150lbs (but I've been lifting as a hobby since 1992.) The heaviest I've been while being somewhat lean was 165lbs back in March.

2. I'm currently not training... at all. Back and neck problems put me on the bench back in March, then new job and baby-on-the-way. I'm currently spending a lot of time (20 minutes a day minimum) on stretching the hips/lower back, shoulders, thoracic spine plus 10 minutes of either dumbbell swings and push-throughs or "mechanical" drop sets for upper body (borrowing heavily from Chris Thibadeau's work from t-nation).

3. When I trained (several months ago) it was a bastardized, making-it-as-I-went program mixing some Westside Barbell, some crossfit, some stuff from Ross Enamait, some from 5x5 (see program the 5x5 link on my signature) 3-4 sessions a week, 60 to 90 minutes each, heavily based on power cleans and deadlifts (deadlifts were done too frequently now that I look back.) On top of that, BJJ every once in a while, but not consistently enough to be even a badly mediocre grappler. My main concentration right now is not to get too fat and improve upon my hip, thoracic and shoulder mobility.

You can see the details of my past training in my log here at bullshido (along with the warnings of my fellow posters that I was overtraining... and they were right.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/04/2008 10:53pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 12:32am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ Ok thanks. Do you do MMA aswell?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 12:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we have a few Captains of Crush aficionados here, has anyone here made a serious attempt at closing the #3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 7:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Portillo
    ^ Ok thanks. Do you do MMA aswell?
    See items #2 and #3 in my previous post .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 7:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Since we have a few Captains of Crush aficionados here, has anyone here made a serious attempt at closing the #3?
    I think Emevas has.... I think.

I wonder if it is within my capacity (given my size) to come close to that, to the #3. The best I've done is to do a couple of full reps with the #2 (I have girly hands with very thin fingers... ugh.) I got to start working on that again since now my grip has deteriorated: right now, I can only close the #2 two thirds of the way with the right hand and only half way with my left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 12:16pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought I would take this opportunity to recommend an excellent wrist stabilization tool that can be used in conjunction with a wrist roller, and some grip and pinch work (and probably the rubber band style exercise TEM recommended.

The yo-yo from Ironmind:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1369

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 2:27pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Possibly for the first time ever I'm going to disagree with Russ. I'm not a massive fan of wrist curls at all, folks tell me CoC are great for grip, I've never tried them so I can't verify.

I started training grip seriously a little over a month ago when my (inverted grip) gave out on my 5th rep of deads at 140kg (no chalk). I was dissapointed becuase I knew my back etc still had **** loads to give and my grip was a limiting factor.

I've since tried tennis ball/towel pull ups, plate pinching and heavy farmers walks/holds. But the best for my grip/forearm size has been levering. I started off light and am now levering a 12kg sledge for reps. I hope to work my way up to bending.

Imo wrist curls do jack ****/Levering is the dogs bollocks.

I pulled 160kg for 5 reps today DOH. (plus chalk).

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 3:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Possibly for the first time ever I'm going to disagree with Russ. I'm not a massive fan of wrist curls at all
    The problem that I have with this isn't that levering isn't neat - it is.
    The problem here also isn't that wrist curls are great - they're not.
    -Forward wrist curls are passable (although the ROM is unpleasantly short).
    -Reverse wrist curls, as I'd previously noted, are very difficult to make work (the grip muscles are pulling your hand one way, the reverse curl muscles the other).

The problem is that levering works a different plane of motion ("ulnar deviation"?) than wrist curls do (wrist flexion/extension), so they're not replacements for each other.

For alternatives to (reverse) wrist curls, I'd already mentioned the wrist roller in my first reply.
    There are also plate curls, but I haven't tried them in any serious capacity yet, so I can't recommend or recommend against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 4:16pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Possibly for the first time ever I'm going to disagree with Russ. I'm not a massive fan of wrist curls at all, folks tell me CoC are great for grip, I've never tried them so I can't verify.

I started training grip seriously a little over a month ago when my (inverted grip) gave out on my 5th rep of deads at 140kg (no chalk). I was dissapointed becuase I knew my back etc still had **** loads to give and my grip was a limiting factor.

I've since tried tennis ball/towel pull ups, plate pinching and heavy farmers walks/holds. But the best for my grip/forearm size has been levering. I started off light and am now levering a 12kg sledge for reps. I hope to work my way up to bending.

I pulled 160kg for 5 reps today DOH. (plus chalk).
    Wrist curls aren't for grip strength. They are for wrist stabilization. I think that wrist rollers perform the same function and do it better, but that's my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do wrist curls make your forearm muscles bigger?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast