is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 2:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo
    Except, while you are doing deadlifts and pull-ups (which develops forearms more than chinups), you are working dozens of other muscles, making your workout more efficient.
    And because you're recruiting other muscles, the "weakest link" in the chain will limit the loading and volume of all the other muscles. Which is great - if that weakest link is the one you're trying to target.

Re-read the original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 2:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No Mas

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    And because you're recruiting other muscles, the "weakest link" in the chain will limit the loading and volume of all the other muscles. Which is great - if that weakest link is the one you're trying to target.
    Again, muscles dont act in isolation, so it doesn't matter. The goal shouldn't be to target specific muscles but to increase strength or endurance for a certain activity or movement. I cant think of a single situation where i would need to perform the movement involved in a wrist curl.

Re-read the original post.
    I did... and it sounds like he might be overtraining. I didn't read anything that suggested he needs specific forearm training other than the recommendaton of his rock-climbing friend.

Obviously we have two different outlooks on lifting. There is a big division in the weight training world right now; one crowd avoids isolation lifts and the other crowd doesn't.
    Last edited by golgo; 11/02/2008 3:08pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, muscles dont act in isolation, so it doesn't matter.
    I'm going to lose my mind here. You should head back to Newbietown for a while.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to lose my mind here. You should head back to Newbietown for a while.
    Being a noob in this forum has nothing to do with my weight training background. You can go back to your gym and do 100 sets of wrist curls, listen to Jay-Z and then finish up by doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a noob in this forum has nothing to do with my weight training background. You can go back to your gym and do 100 sets of wrist curls, listen to Jay-Z and then finish up by doing bicep curls in the squat rack.
    Get back to Newbietown, and take your strawman with you. Final warning.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get back to Newbietown, and take your strawman with you. Final warning.
    Sorry, not really sure what you are saying here. Are you threatening me over an internet message board? Sounds like you have anger management issues.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isolation exercises are a waste of time, unless your goal is body building. Muscles dont act in isolation. If you are lifting for performance, train the way your body works - multiple muscle groups working in conjunction to perform a task. Compound lifts like deadlifts (as are all olympic lifts), pull-ups, etc are great.
    Uh, tell that to the Westside Barbell guys. They do a shitload of isolation exercises specifically for wrist/forearm strength, rehab and repetition effort.

If all you do are isolation exercises, then yeah, you'd have a point. Actually, I cannot think of a single successful bodybuilder that has gotten what he has by just doing isolation exercises.

Also, I cannot think of a successful strongman/powerlifter who has gotten to where he is just by doing compound exercises.

This is the same retarded logic by which people praise or hate bodyweight exercises, kettlebels, or whatever make PE partisan nuts tick and click.

Isolation exercises are just a tool for a specific function, for a specific time, place, goal and population. And just like any tool, there is a right way and a wrong way to use them. For example:

That vice is an awesome tool for holding things fast, it is terrible for sexual gratification.

Same with whatever execise you consider a "waste of time".
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho

That vice is an awesome tool for holding things fast, it is terrible for sexual gratification.
    Maybe in your screwed up reality .

That thing is sexy hot .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Same with whatever execise you consider a "waste of time".
    You make some good points, although I would argue that the OP's original logic on needing forearm exercises was flawed - He has pain from martial arts/fighting and weightlifting, so he is following the advice of a rock climber friend (and not a PT or doctor)?

Like I said in a previous post, the weight lifting world is split right now (isolation vs. compound). I can respect the differences of opinion; others may not.

I am not a PT, but pain in the hands and wrists = needs more forearm isolation exercises doesn't quite right to me.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast