Style
    Mixed kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WHY IS THAT TEXT AT THE TOP SO BIG (new member)

Hello! I am a new member on the forums. After reading several of the articles on the main site, I decided to join the forums. Hurr.

My own martial arts experience is simultaneously limited and humble, having dropped out of a karate class when I was five years old because I didn't like doing push-ups. I was a little wuss. I trained in mixed kickboxing for three years at a small school in Elliot Lake, Ontario. Sadly, the place had to close for two reasons: the head instructor's health problems, and lack of funding. I also trained in Tae Kwon Do for two months back in 2006 and was left underwhelmed. Whether it was the fault of the style or the instructor, it's difficult to say.

I'm looking forward to being a member of these forums.

oops, I forgot to tell a joke!

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Bowmore... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    Hammer Fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bowmore, TKD is good if you can find a proper instructor. Unfortunately those are few and far between. Good luck on your journey.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowmore
    I was a little wuss. I trained in mixed kickboxing for three years at a small school in Elliot Lake, Ontario.
    Hey Bowmore, welcome to Bullshido. May i ask what Mixed Kickboxing refers to?

Also, the big text will come back if you dont post for a week or so. Just to let you know.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Style
    Mixed kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    Hey Bowmore, welcome to Bullshido. May i ask what Mixed Kickboxing refers to?
    Thanks! And according to Craig Holmes, the instructor at the place I learned, he taught a mix of Muay Thai, Filipino, and North American kickboxing, as well as boxing techniques. It's in my review, which I linked in my profile, 'cause that's what the forums told me to do.

Also, the big text will come back if you dont post for a week or so. Just to let you know.
    Good to know!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowmore
    Thanks! And according to Craig Holmes, the instructor at the place I learned, he taught a mix of Muay Thai, Filipino, and North American kickboxing, as well as boxing techniques. It's in my review, which I linked in my profile, 'cause that's what the forums told me to do.
    Good, doing what you're told. I like you. Now, go buy me some cake, Jim Beam and shoes. ;)

Good mix there, did you get good at kicking things? What was it like learning there as opposed to Karate and TKD? Apart from not liking pushups, you pansy.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you haven't trained in 2 years?

Style
    Mixed kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good, doing what you're told. I like you. Now, go buy me some cake, Jim Beam and shoes. ;)
    no u :(

Good mix there, did you get good at kicking things? What was it like learning there as opposed to Karate and TKD?
    On the subject of kicking, it's my favourite kind of strike, and I like to think I got pretty good at it. We learned a wide variety of kicks -- some practical, some not so much. My best kick is the side-kick, and there was a point where the instructor said I had the hardest kick in the class. Let's see if I can list some of the kicks. Names may vary between styles and individuals, and this is in no way a complete list.

- Front kick (the kind you use to bust down a door, striking with the heel)
    - Side kick (again, striking with the heel)
    - Snap kick (striking with the top of the foot)
    - Round kick (striking with the shin)
    - Turning back kick (heel, again)
    - Hook kick (guess what? heel)
    - Crescent kick (both inner and outer)
    - Front knee
    - Side knee
    - Others I can't recall at the moment because I'm out of practice and it's been a while

We also learned to perform consecutive kicks, like multiple snap kicks without dropping your foot to the floor.

As for karate, I was five years old and I dropped out after like a week of it, so I don't remember much. TKD was very kick-centric, but it was disorienting to me because the majority of my kicks in TKD were thrown at the air or as part of forms -- rather than at a focus pad, air shield, standing bag, or dummy, like in kickboxing. I did learn a few other types of kicks, but left before I could get any good at them. Details of the kickboxing place can be found in my review, and I'd just be repeating stuff that's there.

Apart from not liking pushups, you pansy.
    I was five years old! Gimme a break! :tongue5: These days, I recognize that pushups are an integral part of working out, and that they have many benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    So you haven't trained in 2 years?
    Correct. I'm in my final year of the Journalism - Print & Broadcast program at Canadore College, so come summer 2009, I'll be looking for work and would like to get back into training. However, I have no idea where I'll be when that time comes.
    Last edited by Bowmore; 11/02/2008 6:44pm at . Reason: I type slow and someone replied