222372 Bullies, 4174 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    flaxseed oil does everything fish oil does, but without the smell.

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get acupuncture.

yeah, you heard me.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 4:25pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check this **** out, boyo:

Met-rx Joint Guard:

Chondroiton, Glucosamine, Fatty acids (fish oil). Best damn thing I've ever heard of for soothing the joints of a hardworking ju jitsu enthusiast.

As with glucosamine and chondroiton supplement, make sure you take them EVERY DAY as directed and in about 4 weeks your entire joint structure will change and will feel much more healthy. You might still stub your toe or get your arm yanked, and it'll still hurt, but you won't have any repeating pain like waking up in the middle of the night as you mentioned. Your joints will heal fast as hell.

Buy it, love it.

http://www.cybersportsnutrition.com/...GET%201%20FREE)
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet, I give that a try. thanks for the link

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:34pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't even watch the guys on TUF do the ice bath thing after a workout, but wouldn't 3 minutes in the tank likely do the trick for the OP?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 10:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    flaxseed oil does everything fish oil does, but without the smell.
    Not according to this guy

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/01/2008 12:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take glucosamine + chondroitin + MSM. I don't think there's any actual science to support the MSM part, but I used to be taking them separately, and when I ran out of MSM, my knees started clicking again. Ancedotal n=1 evidence for the win?

As far as I know, contrast baths are good for muscular recovery. I don't think they'd do much for joint issues (usually related to cartilage/ligaments/tendons).
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/01/2008 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of times it's not even that a sub that gets cranked, but simply working with a joint flexed at a given range over and over and over. If a person pushes or pulls with the elbow, say, constantly flexed at a 45 degree angle, it will be the same, over time, as doing bicep curls or tricep extensions: inflammation where the triceps/biceps meet the elbow.

If you keep your knees constantly flexed at an angle under pressure: knee pain. Constant gripping: carpal tunnel. Keep falling over and over on the same side: neck and shoulder pain.

Usually there is a pre-existing condition, an old injury or imbalance, and the training only brings it to the surface. Tapping fast won't really help is this is already affecting you.

So you gotta be pre-emptive. Something feels funny? Ice the **** out of it and take your ibuprofen. Hell, even if you don't feel anything, ice (or at least use icy hot on) your shoulders, neck, elbows and knees. Inflamation can develop before you actually notice it, so you want to be on top of it at all times.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2008 11:25am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've gotten plenty of good advice.

Only thing I'll add is, if its an imbalance then get it corrected. Some muscle/tendon/ligament is taking over the work of another muscle/tendon/ligament and this MAY over time cause other problems.

I've got 2 examples - my brother (marathon runner) had an imbalance where the muscles on the outside of his leg were stronger than the ones on the inside. Pulled his kneecap out of place just enough to grind away the cartilage in his knees.

I'm the other example. Tore the muscles in my lower back doing judo about 18 years ago. Didn't strengthen the right parts of the core. The healthy muscles compensated for the weak ones and, they started yanking vertebra out of alignment. Revamped my core strengthening program and the problem was solved.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2008 11:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Teh El Macho got it right, because I didnt get subed thur night, but was fighting arm bars with my arm bent at 45 degrees while I was stacking. The elbow feels fine after class and during no discomfort at all. It just swells up abit hours later while I am sleeping I guess. I think I will just start going to the gym more often to build up my strength. I have to admit I have let my strength training slack this year.

Thanks again for all the advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast