Posted On:
    10/31/2008 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Got My Blue after 6+ years

Well after 6 years I finally got my Blue Belt. Here are some thoughts:

A blue belt does mean something if your school values both its students and its reputation. When I went out to Cali, people couldn't believe I was a white belt. Some thought I might be close to purple because of my guard (my top game stinks and i have no aggression). I also don't comete, so holding back my promotion isn't a way for my coach to sandbag at tournies.

I have been training on and off for about 6 years at varying quality of schools. For about a year I trained at Tim Burrill's school in Rhode Island which was an amazing school. Top Notch. I had to move around for a bit and went to some more sub wrestling schools where technique was like a clean air filter in your car. It is not a necessity but after a while, without changing it, things start not to run so well. I have been at my school about a year and a half and I knew there were things I needed to work on before my coach would promote me.

1: Aggression - I just lack it. I sometimes forget it is a sport and treat it more like a just a game. This leads to point #2

2: My top game is crap. I am lower level blue at best. I just don't like crushing people and prefer to work from guard, and since my guard was so good I just relied on that like one who might rely on leg locks since they can't pass the guard. My coach wanted me to focus alot on my guard passing and getting to top instead of baiting my opponent into making a mistake and trying to find an opening. Some people can take abuse while trying to pass the guard, but I am seeing more and more that is probably not the best way to go.

So before I tell you about the class last night let me list my excuses for poor performance first.

Last weekend was the SBGi fall camp. I went to regular class on thrusday, rolled for 2.5 hrs friday night. Really rolled, not just hung out. Trained from 10-5 sat and sun (with an hour lunch) and then went to class on monday night. Sunday night i had the fire department at my house at midnight to respond to a carbon monoxide alarm that went off, so I didn't get to sleep till after 1, monday night I had to finish up some work for Goju-Joe and didn't get to sleep until 1 again. Wednesday night my mother had to go to the hospital so I had to go to her house and take case of her new puppy till about midnight. In addition there are a few people here at work with the flu or TB or something....

...So thursday night i wasn't exactly on top of my game. In addition I have been having problems with my shoulders. One clicks and i have no power in them right now...

So after class I get called up to go against our best blue belt. He is #12 ranked in Naga for his weight class. We slap hands and he pulls guard into a fall arm bar, I scramble but can't get loose. At this point, I am tired and very disappointed. My coach as us go again and he goes for the same thing. I knew he could beat anything I might normally throw at him so I fight to pull him into my guard and get him into mission control. I hear the class cheer at this noble attempt. I work all the way to carni and as I am trying to realize how far I have gotten, he rolls out, get me in an omo, I roll and get caught in a triangle in the transition. Even though I lost the match, the fact that I was able to get the rubber guard as far as i did is quite an achievement. This guy is no slouch.

By this time I can already feel the burn in my shoulders.

My second opponent is one of our newer blue belts who has a totally smashing game. He is brutally strong and isn't afraid to drive his head into your face and stick his fist in your neck. We went at it for a while with my huffing and puffing and unable to get out from bottom. i got to guard and almost finished with a triangle, almost a darce....I just could get the strength in my arms to push them out or even pull them in. He finally got me with a gi choke.

Then my coach just crushed me for laughs and gave me my belt. Even though I got the belt, my performance that night sucked. I had some good moves and some good movement, but the week had already caught up with me. The second guy who beat me I usually beat every single time we roll, just couldn't do it last night.

Yeah...so, a blut belt does mean something.

p.s. forgot to add that when i first woke up this morning, I couldn't lift my arms. And i put this in YMAS so i don't get chided.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    congrats

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done mate, I'm really pleased for you!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:22am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gitmo would have been honored to host your thread, sir.

Congratulations.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Olay! Congratulations man. I really do INSIST you come back down to Timmy's so we can roll sometime. Also, I am planning to make a trip up to USMMA to do some stand up, so if you every go there, we should try and murder each other for fun.

Martial Arts are aw3x0m3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gabetuno,
    I might starting going to Terrinhas a couple of nights a week. I have to talk to the school owner and see about the $$$. Does Tim have an open mat on Sundays? Maybe I should come down.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm usually there every Sunday morning, from 8-8:30am to 10-10:30am. There are typically anywhere from 6-12 of us who show up and roll both gi and no-gi.

This Sunday, however, I'll be there from 12-3pm because Abmar Barbosa is putting on a clinic. This guy is seriously badass, he won the Brazilian Nationals Absolute like 5 years in a row as a 160lbs Brown Belt, and Tim is having him put on a seminar. If you want to come it's 55 at the door, and the guy has some crazy guard transitions that are really innovative I guess. It's not so much the moves he uses, but how he puts them together. Anyway, pretty excited about it.

C. Machado is also coming there Saturday the 15th for a gi workshop, and I think he'll be at Santos' the following day for a no-gi one. I'm gonna go to the gi.

Either way, any Sunday morning you wanna make it down, just head in. Should be good to have you back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 11:06am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations

Blue Belts represent, son.

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 11:08am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rock on. Congrats.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast