Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 2:07pm

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubemode12
    Dan Inosanto... My Fellow Filipino...

Honestly, these guys piss me off, we barely have enough Eskrima instructors here in the Philippines, and he decides to ditch the country.

This is why I went for JUDO and BJJ. I felt so betrayed.

Pity Please.

10k Pushups... Now...
    There is still excellent FMA in the Philippines. It's just not all over the place like TKD. If you take the effort to look for it, it's all there. Try FMA Forums. I think there's enough world class FMA here in the Philippines, but I would love to see an Inosanto seminar here. I think he does owe it to the country and culture to bring some of what he knows back here. As for the topic of this thread, it's simply good manners and showing respect. Any student who still has good relations with his teacher will always humble himself and say that his teacher is better than him. That's the way it is over here anyway..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 3:00pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper
    I think he does owe it to the country and culture to bring some of what he knows back here.
    Why does he "owe it to the country"? As it's been pointed out, he was born and raised in California. I'm not being sarcastic or trying to start a fight. I would just like to know why you think he has an obligation to the Philippines?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 7:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, I know he's born and raised in the US. But he's of Filipino descent and is one of the best teachers and practitioners of FMA. I think that's good enough reason for wishing he'd come over and share what he learned from his teachers while growing up in the US.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 10:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wishing he'd come home & saying he owes you is different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 3:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok maybe "owing us" is too strong a word, but my sentiment is that it would a major step for FMA if someone of his caliber would visit the homeland and share his knowledge. Which makes me wonder why he hasn't done so all these years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 5:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why does he "owe it to the country"? As it's been pointed out, he was born and raised in California. I'm not being sarcastic or trying to start a fight. I would just like to know why you think he has an obligation to the Philippines?
    He's a Filipino, he learned a Filipino art and has received the support of all his fellow Filipinos worldwide, he's where he is now because of us.

It's like taking someone else's hardwork and not thanking that person for their effort.

But you're right, it's his life, we have no right to tell him to do as we wish.

What I'm somewhat angry about is his role in attracting high-quality Eskrima instructors to California.

Three Eskrima instructors here in my town left because they wanted to head to greener pastures, after hearing about his sucess.

I don't blame him for that, it's not his fault.

It just pisses me off sometimes, the best Eskrima instructors that used to be here have all left the Philippines, which is extremely ironic.

Remy Presas, Grand Master and Uber Arnisador was probably the only guy who ever kept most Filipinos respect.

I was one of those people...

... Till I just found out that he spent most of his time in the U.S and died in Canada.

@Topic

This is strange, very strange, you'd expect people learning their country's arts to remain Nationalistic, but the irony here is, almost all Eskrima instructors have moved to the states.

Please don't tell me it's like this in Brazil, God... how much I wanna learn authentic BJJ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 5:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubemode12
    This is strange, very strange, you'd expect people learning their country's arts to remain Nationalistic, but the irony here is, almost all Eskrima instructors have moved to the states.

Please don't tell me it's like this in Brazil, God... how much I wanna learn authentic BJJ...
    Like I said before, there is still a lot of good FMA in the country. I did another MA before I found a FMA system I liked and studied it. If you really want to contribute to keeping FMA alive in the Philippines, do the same: Find a system and studying it. Bitching about Dan Inosanto like he "betrayed" the country and saying you do Judo and BJJ doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd love to attend an Inosanto seminar here, but I do think FMA in the homeland won't die if he doesn't show up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 5:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^

I'm not saying he betrayed the country.

AND THAT'S EXACTLY THE POINT, THERE'S NO ESKRIMA AROUND SO I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO GO FOR JUDO AND BJJ.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 8:14am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it's just the city you're in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^

Good Point.

But Eskrima started here, how could there not be Eskrima...?

Anyways, I vote in favor of abandoning the debate, I vote to replace it with talks about teh Filipino Womenz.

Who is in favor?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast