Page 6 of 10 First ... 2345678910 Last
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    190
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^

    Espada y Daga?

    Dude, that's a spanish term.

    Well, if you're going for the tagalog translation...

    Espada means sword, Daga means rat or mouse in tagalog.

    But if you go into the deeper meaning of Daga, it means to stab, wound or maim.

    The spanish meaning of Espada y Daga is "Sword and Dagger."

    It's a spanish term.

    The tagalog term would be, "Espada at Kutsilyo"

    Tagalog BTW is the national term for the Filipino Language.

  2. #52
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^duh...

  3. #53
    Meex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    2,998
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kali is the Filipino ancestral term for the group of arts
    developed there. Arnis and Eskrima are both Spanish
    influenced terms. As with all the tribal dialects, there
    are variations on the details in the different arts.

    My guro told me there should be millions of variations,
    as each eskrimador should have his own 'expresszion
    of the training' to show for the effort put into him and
    to honor his guro.


    Ah, found it (Lapu-Lapu poster):






    `~/



    .

  4. #54
    Meex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    2,998
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubemode12
    ^
    Tagalog BTW is the national term for the Filipino Language.
    Except, mostly they speak "Taglish" don't they?

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubemode12
    ^

    Espada y Daga?

    Dude, that's a spanish term.

    Well, if you're going for the tagalog translation...

    Espada means sword, Daga means rat or mouse in tagalog.

    But if you go into the deeper meaning of Daga, it means to stab, wound or maim.

    The spanish meaning of Espada y Daga is "Sword and Dagger."

    It's a spanish term.

    The tagalog term would be, "Espada at Kutsilyo"

    Tagalog BTW is the national term for the Filipino Language.
    It's one of many languages. Illongo would translate differently as well, as would any of a dozen island dialects.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    190
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's one of many languages. Illongo would translate differently as well, as would any of a dozen island dialects.
    Yes, it's true.

    But basically, tagalog is the national language of the Philippines, everyone here speaks the language.

    I have Illongo blood in my veins, and yes, tagalog and illongo are very different.

    For example:

    I will hit you now - English

    Tatamaan Kita ngayon - Tagalog

    Patyon taka karon - Bisaya/Illongo


    @Meex

    You seem to know a lot about Philippine History and Culture.

    Is your Guro (Teacher in Tagalog) a Filipino? If he is, you're lucky as ****.

    I've yet to meet a single arnisador here in Davao, and this is where Kali was born.

    My God, if I had the opportunity...

    Sambo

    BJJ

    Kyokushin

    Muay Thai

    I'd learn all 4 of those arts... Sucky part though, TKD and Aikido are all we have. :(

  7. #57
    Meex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    2,998
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubemode12
    Is your Guro (Teacher in Tagalog) a Filipino?
    Yes.
    This may interest you. . .
    He related to me that as a young man he returned to the PI
    intending to study Kali/Escrima with a master. He and a friend
    searched all over the PI, but were told that most of the kali
    masters had fled to California in the US.

    So, he went to Cali and found what he was looking for. . .

    `~/


    .
    Last edited by Meex; 11/03/2008 4:49am at .

  8. #58
    Just waiting for the paperboy. supporting member
    Lebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lolland
    Posts
    12,492
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mahal na mahal kita putangina.
    tsup.

    xx

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    190
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Meex

    Wow, that's interesting, thank you very much for the info.

    Thanks for sharing that, if you don't mind, you think you could ask him why the Guros suddenly started fleeing for Cali? It would make my day to know.

    Good to know, we've got a house in Cali, maybe one day I'll try it out.

    We Filipinos prefer California, a lot of minorities there, culture ain't so distorted, and it isn't so high-class like New York.

    Just depresses me though, it's like the Philippines has been drained of it's heritage. :(

    @Lebell

    Mahal rin kita tol, putang ina rin.

    Dude, I just came from the red-light district a few hours earlier, this fat ass mother fucker was loading womenz into his van.

    There were like 3 other guys with him, Lord knows which hotel he was going to bring them to.

    If you have the chance, come visit my town.

    Don't get the distorted provincial view of a city though, we've got dozens of clubs and bars here, 7 malls, all that sh1t.

    Heck, we've got a GMC too, ain't too bad, all we need is a starbucks.

  10. #60
    Just waiting for the paperboy. supporting member
    Lebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lolland
    Posts
    12,492
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubemode12

    @Lebell

    Mahal rin kita tol, putang ina rin.

    Dude, I just came from the red-light district a few hours earlier, this fat ass mother fucker was loading womenz into his van.

    There were like 3 other guys with him, Lord knows which hotel he was going to bring them to.

    If you have the chance, come visit my town.

    Don't get the distorted provincial view of a city though, we've got dozens of clubs and bars here, 7 malls, all that sh1t.

    Heck, we've got a GMC too, ain't too bad, all we need is a starbucks.
    Whereabouts you at?
    my ex got a house in mindanao and also one in Bisaja.
    Im not terribly interested to visit the phil.
    no offence.
    im not into the stickfighting stuff.

Page 6 of 10 First ... 2345678910 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO