Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for a school - Manhattan

Anyone know good BJJ or kickboxing schools in Midtown or the Financial District? Basically anywhere in the southern half of Manhattan.

AikidoBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Chodax, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ... Join us... or die
    Style
    KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chodax
    Anyone know good BJJ or kickboxing schools in Midtown or the Financial District? Basically anywhere in the southern half of Manhattan.
    Well there are more than enought, either you take Renzo Gracie JJ at 30th or you go NYBJJ at 36th or you take fight house (I think at 27th), NY combat Sambo is also a good school they are around 39th or any other school you can come up with 1 min of google foo.

Welcome to BS and please don't ask questions again that you can google or figher out yourself by using the BS-Search function....
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Style
    BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.roninathletics.com

37th and 8th. i've been there for two years and have loved every minute.

Style
    Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google doesn't get him the opinons of a board full of combat-sports enthusiats. "Where find school" is a legit function of the newb boards.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ... Join us... or die
    Style
    KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay here my input, I only have been at two places, Renzo and NY combat Sambo.

Renzo is top notch in BJJ gi and no gi. You have a lot of classes to go to (morning, lunch, "night") a great facility, nice training Partners, top level Instructors.
    For the MMA, there is a good pool of fighters at the school and top players coming by on an almost weekly basis.
    The MT program is separated in beginner and advanced, where the beginner class is very focused on cardio/conditioning and the "basics" while the advanced and sparring sessions are more focused on actual fighting.

For the review of NYCS check out the school review forum, I did a little write up there.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Style
    punching bag / crew jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    www.roninathletics.com

37th and 8th. i've been there for two years and have loved every minute.
    Doesn't the owner of that school post here?

Style
    San Shou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    William chen tai chi has a solid San shou program, thats where I train. (28th and 8th.)

The best striking gym is the Wat, but it has a very corporate feel. They make you do extra pushups if you aren't wearing their overpriced ****, which was a deal breaker for me. (somewhere on canal st.)

All three of the other gyms mentioned in this thread are also top notch.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry guys, I did look through the dojo reviews but most of those were in California. There were only a few NYC places profiled. I did a google search as well but tons of BJJ and kickboxing places came up, and I don't have nearly enough experience to tell if a place is legit or bullshido.

Thanks for the other responses, I will check out the 2-3 places around 30th street.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i second ronin athletics, if you want both BJJ and kickboxing. i'll probably be back training there soon.

if you want to try sanda (chinese kickboxing with throws/takedowns but no ground work) you should check out william cc chen tai chi, my school (ny hung ga), or ny sanda.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj