Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 12:02pm

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions on Glutamine

I've been taking Glutamine lately, great stuff. I usually take it Post-workout. But lately I've been hearing that I should be taking it before i sleep as well if i want to boost recovery/slow catabolism even more.
    Another thing i heard is that i should place each serving under my tounge rather than mix it in with my protien shake.

Anyone care to comment on the best method of delivery and whens the best time to consume glutamine?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who told you this stuff?

Generally the recommendation is to take it after a workout to replace the glutamine used by the body. I imagine you could also take a dose before bed to further assist in the recovery process, but I wouldn't stop taking it post workout.

As far as under the tongue, that just seems silly. Mix it in with your protein shake,

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 12:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard under the tongue as well, but I believe its just anecdotal nonsense. It tastes better in a drink.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i mix it in water and drink it just after workout and before i take protein.

i eagerly await el macho who will dispense the r34l knowledge.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 12:42pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard both after workout and before bed. Both make sense to me. You body undergos the most recovery immediately after a trauma (working out heavily) and during sleep.

My attitude is, its so cheap relatively, why not take it both if there is a debate?

I don't take it now, but I do when I'm lifting both after working out and before bed.

I have a HUGE issue controlling calorie intact when I squat and deadlift, so I'm doing BJJ, body weight, Kettlebell and sprints until I get my Body Fat down where I want. If I'm not doing squat and deadlifts, the glutamine doesn't really help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 7:51pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been taking glutamine for a few months now, after workout and before bed, if i dont take it before bed i generally wake up a bit sorer in the morning, so I would imagine it does quite a bit while you are sleeping.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 12:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, mma, muay thai, csw

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys are generally right on the mark...taking at least 3g post workout and before bed will aid in recovery, reduce muscle soreness/fatigue and provide anti-catabolic support. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid found in muscle tissue, as we age or if we traumatize our bodies we become less efficient at extracting it from protein sources so supplementation is helpful.

Glutamine has been shown to do the things listed above and also raise gh levels which deals with cellular reproduction/growth which is why muscles recover faster on glutamine and it also scrubs the small intenstinal walls where most of your food is digested and where most of your immune system derives from so its good for alot of stuff.

OK...nutrition geekazoid will stop now...