Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 9:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dallas Legend: Dr. Ted

I'm starting a thread on a Legend I met, named Dr. Ted. He is the founder of the BlackBelt in a Box system.

http://www.blackbeltinabox.com/
    www.wwwin.com

One day at SMU, me and me best mate were going to our Saturday club meeting, there was a Judo tournament coming up so we were training a lot. Saturday is kind of a sacred day, not because it's the sabbath, but because it's the day we get to spend 4-5 hours with Piotr Chelstowski (former Olympic Judo coach) working 1 on 1.

We get to class kinda early/late, as in: we were late but we beat everyone else anyways, (Sensei called us to tell us he was running late. - This leads to another story I'll need to tell someday involving the mats at one of the other clubs we call "Concussion City") and as we were walking in, the Aiki Ju-Jitsu club was leaving for their usual after practice Belgian booze session (trust me, the judo club used to drink them under the table on a regular basis, but those guys go out for drinks after EVERY class, and we are competitors damnit! Oh and there's no randori, so I'm pretty sure they come out positive on the calorie-expenditure-o-meter.) One of the guys who trains BJJ and sometimes rolls with us (he's a black belt in the Aiki JJ and a blue in BJJ) says "Have fun with your new student." My stomach kind of dropped. I didn't know if Rhadi Ferguson was going to be in there lookin to bring the pain or if Stinky McSweats-A-Lot showed up in his bathrobe and wanted to get busy, but I knew something epic was about to happen.

So just about this time one of our new white belts shows up and joins the pack headed to the mat room. (He's got a Muay Thai background, so we're teaching him grappling and throwing from the clinch (he already has a good clinch from MT so it works well.) He's only been coming a few weeks, but like most MMA fans, he's a very fast learner. Oh yeah, he was also borrowing one of my gis at the time since he didn't have one yet (another funny story I could go into but, when he finally showed up in his own gi gi and it was so colorfull we nicknamed him "Nascar." He bought a 50$ BJJ one and it had the most absurd patches ever. To add to that we had a guest who was visiting and had found us on these forums.)

We go into the dojo and we see the Majestic Dr. Ted. Complete with leather gi pants, no shirt, and a size 10, gold embroidered, black belt with 9 stripes. His chest was glistening with sweat as he paced around. He looked to be thinking "Sigh, I'm a slave to my greatnesss. More peasants to teach, I waste my time! Mere mortals can not understand the great Dr. Ted way, Ted-do."

I say "Howdy" he looks down at me, even tho I'm 6'3''~. He must have been at least 12 ft tall (See: Bill Brasky.)

I started getting dressed and our white belt goes over to make friends with the new guy.

I'll have to finish later. It's Shark Week.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This should probably go in YMAS.

Unless this is somehow going to lead to a proper MABS Investigation (which I doubt).

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats. This is easily the worst thread I've seen in a while. Pointless, meandering and in the wrong forum.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 10:41am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't Shark Week a couple months ago?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's always shark week. Or was that the joke?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 10:45am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, this is not MABSworthy at all. I don't care if there is some completely Bullshit teacher called Dr. Ted.

Present your information professionally, with evidence.

MABS is not the place for essentially ego-driven narritives fishing for t3h lulz...

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 10:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just lost 2 minutes of my life reading that pointless drivel..I want them back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 10:54pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd really like to hear the story, if there actually is one. I got my undergraduate degrees at SMU, and later taught the General Chemistry lab there. The aforementioned Piotr Chelstowski is my judo coach, he teaches at Guy Mezgers gym. (I cant speak highly enough about Piotr, by the way, he's great to work with). I've never met this Dr. Ted, though. If there is a real story, let's hear it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darph has been training BJJ non-stop at the new Noguera gym in Dallas since it opened. He's VERY tired. I work out the Judo club at SMU, but I missed that class with the Dr. Ted appearance. I've seen Dr. Ted's website. Typical home-study "jujitsu" type course. Lots of books and tapes for sale. Don't know if he actually has a dojo in Dallas. That would be worth investigating. I'll check around.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast