Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Ronda vs ADCC

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ronda vs ADCC

I was minding my own business, as you do, when this little curio dropped into my YouTubes:

My initial reaction to this question is "no, she could not", and honestly the question seems symptomatic of the absurd hype train Rousey is riding at the moment. Even the interviewees seemed to be dancing around the issue and offering vague replies in the style of "yeah, she could probably do good, but, well, you know... but Judo is cool... Takedowns and stuff..."

Obviously, Rousey's good at tossing people on their heads and twisting their arms, but I'm not sure how much exposure she's had to the more esoteric guard-play of pure sport jits. Also, while WMMA generally doesn't have a very high skill level, contributing to Rousey's dominance in the sport, I'm not sure what the situation is in women's BJJ.

TL;DR: People theorize about how a big fish in a small pond would perform in a different, probably slightly bigger pond. Shenanigans ensue.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Rousey showed up to compete, all the butt dragging at the event could cause an earthquake.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think anyone is even close to her at 135. Honda by Armbar.
    It's not hype. It's science. Strength, judo,heart and skill are hard to **** with.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I don't think anyone is even close to her at 135. Honda by Armbar.
    It's not hype. It's science. Strength, judo,heart and skill are hard to **** with.
    Are you familiar with ADCC? It's a very different type of competition than what Ronda is used to.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think she could do well if she trained for the ruleset. She was an Olympic Level Judo-ka. But ADCC No-Gi submission grappler isn't her forte and she would be going against other top level female grappler more accomplished in No-Gi submission wrestling.

For example, there is no way to know how well she would handle Jiu Jitsu sport orientated guards like X, DLR or 50/50. As they aren't found in Olympic Judo nor MMA.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very familiar. I've watched every match that's piqued my interest from every tournament they've ever had. I believe wholeheartedly she would medal her first time out.
    The only competitor I see giving her real trouble would be Mackenzie Dern. However I believe Ronda is to athletic for Mackenzie. Her athleticism mixed with her technique and timing is just far beyond anything else I've seen from women grappling. I wouldn't be surprised if Gaby muscled her in the absolute but that's about it

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is ADCC pure subs or is it a point-based system? I recall reading on judoinfo a while back about a top-tier judo guy who entered one of the points-based tournaments. He said he did OK but he lost a lot of points even though he had trained some under the ruleset, basically because under pressure he reverted to his judo training. Stuff that's inconsequential in judo loses you points in BJJ.

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Is ADCC pure subs or is it a point-based system? I recall reading on judoinfo a while back about a top-tier judo guy who entered one of the points-based tournaments. He said he did OK but he lost a lot of points even though he had trained some under the ruleset, basically because under pressure he reverted to his judo training. Stuff that's inconsequential in judo loses you points in BJJ.
    They have a point system, looking something like this:
    "
    -Each position must be established for 3 seconds or more being out of any danger of submission in order for points to be awarded.

• Passing the guard = 3 points
    • Knee on stomach = 2 points
    • Mount position = 2 points
    • Back mount with hooks = 3 points
    • Takedown (ends Guard or Half Guard) = 2 points
    • Clean Takedown (ends passed the guard) = 4 points
    • Sweeps (ends Guard or Half Guard) = 2 points
    • Clean Sweep (ends passed the guard) = 4 points
    "
    Plus some potential point reductions for rule infractions and the other usual guff.

To clarify my own position, Rousey is obviously a talented athlete with no small degree of skill. I have no doubt that if she were to completely drop out of MMA and spend a few years training exclusively BJJ, she would most likely come to compete at a very high level in that sport. I am not convinced that she could throw on a rashguard tomorrow, head down to the ADCC world championships and murder everyone put in front of her. I doubt she'd even have a very good showing, simply due to unfamiliarity with the ruleset (and its resulting strategies) and the majority of her grappling experience being in the gi.
    Last edited by Hadzu; 8/28/2015 4:08pm at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    http://www.adcombat.com/adcc-rules-and-regulations

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She probably wouldn't be a champion boxer either, if she just walked in off the street. If she trained for it, I think she would do very well. Not all Judoka have bad ground game. Her mother wrote a book on Judo ground game and has always been a newaza player. So, I doubt that she grew up only learning how to throw.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last