Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Balloonknot,

I understand your feelings about people going to torunaments. It is a sad fact that many schools just train for the next tournament. However, I would have to disagree that everyone that participates in tournaments are "pansy-asses playing fagtag". There are people, like myself who go just to have fun. They emabrace all parts of the martial arts.

I guess my pet peeve are the schools that train for nothing but tournament then say they teach valuable street self defense. At least, what I am seeing now, is that schools are starting to differentiate themselves by saying they teach sport karate or sport TKD. At least you will know what you are getting into at that point.

Last night, I was sitting with my GM as he was watching a tape on sparring drills for tournament. He was saying how these are great drills to practice, but they are for tournament only. He said he would never do that in the street. However, he thinks they would be very useful for us to practice for the upcoming tournament. I just beamed thinking, cool, he isn't a sell out to the tournament way. :)

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 10:10am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go to tourneys for fun - than hey, that's COOL! as far as the brazilians go... **** THEM. I'm so tired of their money grubbing I'm better than you ****. I think I'll start a new thread on the subject.

god only exists within me.

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 12:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks oce, bncwd and darl=kface for information.

Would say darkfaces is the most impressive now imho. :) Though I guess that's with bias...
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well everyone is a little biased.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 1:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1)The school offers 3,6,9, and 12 month contracts. The longer the contract the lower the monthly payment. Contracts are not actually required; however, the discounts for signing a contract are significant.

I haven't actually paid for a lesson in about 5 years. I work with different schools and "pay" in trade by doing weapons instruction or CQB instruction, and I'll occasionally run a first aid class. I am more of an informal employee than a student.

It may seem a little strange but its been a while since I've worked with someone who knew more than I do; however, I am planning on studying with an excellent Kali instructor who is light years ahead of me.

2)I wouldn't go if I didn't enjoy them.

Honestly, I need the workout and while I hit the gym everyday (either running/aerobics or lifting weights) I enjoy the physicality that Muay Thai and BJJ brings to my exercise routine.

I practice Kali because I have never (19 years now, in different systems) studied a more effective martial art that can be practiced for an entire lifetime and retain the majority of its effectiveness and other (health/fitness) related attributes even as the practicioners physical capabilities deteriorate with age. And besides that its really fun to swing sticks at people.

3)Are you improving in your opinion, or in others, if so why do you think you're improving?

Some days I feel like my progress has been incredible, other days I feel like I have back slid a little; however, I always learn something.

I improve because I enjoy what I do and I am intellectually curious about what I do. I don't take anyone's word, or explanation concerning the effectiveness of a style. I could care less about who they claim they have trained. If I can't break it down and apply it then its ****, and I move on.

4)Sparring whether semi-cooperative or not sharpens everything. And I stopped doing Kata. I'm not saying Kata is bad, but I do believe there are more productive things that you could do.

5)
    Competition:
    My first BJJ tournament, I was studying American Kenpo at the time, I used four different throws from a Judo seminar I attended (4 hours) to take down my opponents, and then I used arm bars (variations of the Kimura) or chokes that I learned in a traditional Jiu-Jitsu style that I had studied to submit my opponent's.

For my 5th match the instructor/organizer allowed a "late" student to jump in against me. I had fought four matches, submitting all of my opponent's (the instructor's students) and he allowed a fresh opponent (his first match of the day) in against me in the semi-finals . . . I lost.

Street: I had a guy jump on me, attempting to get a head lock, from behind. I grabbed his hand while stepping behind him as he descended and popped a sweet wristlock/armbar combination lock on him. As he spun around in front of me I dropped an axe kick across his shoulder/neck (all traditional Jiu-Jitsu).

6) Yes, because of the way we train. I won't say better than "ALL" others, but a majority . . . definitely.

7)Typically just shorts and a t-shirt; however, I do use my gi on occasion.

8) Minus the "Phase" classes, the Inosanto website gives a great description of the styles that I study:
    http://www.inosanto.com/acadinfo/curriculum/index.htm

9)Check out the above link.

10)Since we're talking multiple arts that is difficult to do.

Muay Thai is the greatest Kickboxng style I have ever seen.

Kali does more realistic work with weapons than any other art I have ever seen.

BJJ works the ground like nobody else, Shooto has almost everything BJJ has plus it teaches you how to work against different types of fighter (techniques directly focused against fighters who like to work in a "specific" range).

And JKD ties everything together providing a framework that allows other systems to be studied, their benefitial elements adopted, and the rest eliminated.

However, I have to point out that JKD requires an open mind since you may find out (through your research) that your favorite technique/tactic is shite and needs to be discarded. No "pride", No "look at my pretty kicks". Its research, adaption, evolution.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 2:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) No contract, only regular donation of vodka and female homosapiens for my Masters to mate with.

2.) I find my sessions enjoyable because I get whip the **** out of pansy pussies traditional & mixed martial artists for no particular reason other than that I can.

3.) I have reached my plateau of God-like sized manhood with physical fitness and body metabolism to screw 5 shemale yetis at once without braking a sweat and still have enough energy to decimate a whole village to grab some vodkas for an after-workout drink. So no I can't possibly improve since I am already a god-like immortal machine of destruction.

4.) Once in a while, I go out in the civillized world and constantly practice and apply my martial skills on all who come across in my sight, be it men, women, children, romos, taxi driver, cops, priests or drag queen, 24/7 for our philosophy teaches that everyone is potential enemy and if by beating the snot out of them will get me: money, vodka, *****, self-satisfaction knowing that I am a walking machine of terror, then I should do so.

5.) My user profile speaks for myself. Click on it and look up the list of my victims and be terrified. Mwahahahahaha!!

6.) My system is supreme and second to none; is street and battlefield effective as proven in history. No other MAs or combat systems in the world can possibly rival mine.

7.) BoiShaya Borba

8.)home:
    http://www.royalcanadianmountedspetsnaz.com/MartialArt/index.html

history of Boishaya Borba:
    http://www.royalcanadianmountedspetsnaz.com/History/index.html

philosophy:
    http://www.royalcanadianmountedspetsnaz.com/Philosophy/index.html

9.) The most effective and deadly combat system in the entire planet that will turn you into a god-like walking machine of destruction.

10.) Again, check at BoiShaya Borba's history:

http://www.royalcanadianmountedspetsnaz.com/History/index.html

It would be foolish to assume that after what we achieved on the battlefield that there is still any martial art on this planet that can possibly stand up to us.

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 3:34pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh brother!

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 5:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nice cold fusion - anymore kung fu?

agree with u on muay thai and the bjj/shooto (not meaning shootfighting? Because that usually has MT as well...though some classes don't to focus on grappling...)
    still don't think much of JJJ tbh, be good that u could use it - and beating the bjj guys with those minimal skills? you must've been much stronger or they must have been white belts.. or somthing ..

just checked - shooto=shootwrestling, should've know - nice site.

Edited by - Blade Windu on October 24 2002 17:26:48
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 8:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JJJ?

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/25/2002 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japanese Ju-Jitsu

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234