Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [You can read the entire article by going to the front page/news section, so please do.]

Questions (only very short answers needed):

1)Does your "Martial Arts" "school" require you to sign a contract of payment (if so then for how long)?
    2)Do you consistently find your classes enjoyable? Why do you like them?
    3)Are you improving in your opinion, or in others, if so why do you think you're improving?
    4)What have you learned/done to better your skills?
    5)Have you successfully (hurting the other person) used the skills before, whether it be in a street situation, competition or at least in class? Say how and why briefly.
    6) Do you generally think your art is more effective and practical than (a majority of) others, or at least as practical? If so then why?
    7)What do you train in?
    8)Give a site with information about the style/that type of style via a direct link.
    9)What does your art claim to be, claim to achieve?
    10)Name one or several of the things your art/system has achieved, possibly against others arts though not necessarily.

Edited by - Blade Windu on October 23 2002 15:45:12

Edited by - Blade Windu on October 23 2002 17:45:08
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) No contract at all.
    2) Not really. There are a lot of people who aren't naturally as gifted as I am so the challenge isn't always there.
    3) Somewhat. I find myself fighting down to other peoples level hoping that eventually they will get better. I don't believe that you can only improve yourself by overwhelming someone. You have to provide them a challenge and as they improve slowly increase the intensity. Luckily by teaching I come to understand things more completly than most.
    4) Weightlift, practice outside of class, promote a small version of fight club to challenge myself against other styles, yoga.
    5) I've used joint locks and throws from Hapkido to defuse potential violent situations. Basically take the guy to the ground and hold him there until security can throw him out.
    6) Against the common person it is an effective form of self defense. There are other styles that are more practical but for $20 a month you can't beat it. Besides I've boxed for 3 years and was looking to get into an art that used kicks to round myself out a little.
    7) TKD and Hapkido
    8-9-10) can all be found here. http://eric.willeke.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 1:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1)yes, i signed one for eight months.
    2)yes and no, i like the sparring but every class is the same.
    3)a little bit.
    4)weitlifting, flexibility training.
    5)no
    6)no, i think it is the fighter and how the art 7)is applied.
    7)tkd (not wtf bullshit, it's old school stuff)
    8)www.telusplanet.net/public/jjleetkd
    9)it claims to be tkd, it claims that i will be able to defend myself and be in better shape.
    10) master lee has one many international tournaments back in the day.

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 2:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent thanks for your replys, both interesting.

Hapkido's locks have had a few good things said about them.

thanks for sites as well.

Anymore replys pls?

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.
  5. Michael

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 2:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Questions (only very short answers needed):

1)Does your "Martial Arts" "school" require you to sign a contract of payment (if so then for how long)? No, if you don't want to be here don't
    2)Do you consistently find your classes enjoyable? Why do you like them?Yes, we like to torture students.
    3)Are you improving in your opinion, or in others, if so why do you think you're improving? Learn something every day.
    4)What have you learnt/done to better your skills? <Learnt>I refuse to answer this question for improper grammar.
    5)Have you successfully (hurting the other person) used the skills before, whether it be in a street situation, competition or at least in class? Say how and why briefly. There is no brief about this answer so I'll pass.
    6) Do you generally think your art is more effective and practical than (a majority of) others, or at least as practical? If so then why? Yes more practical and effective because I don't let our arts sit on their laurels.
    7)What do you train in? Kung-fu
    8)Give a site with information about the style/that type of style via a direct link. Can't site down....will be up in two months.
    9)What does your art claim to be, claim to achieve? Our arts claim to everything and nothing. (no joke)
    10)Name one or several of the things your art/system has achieved, possibly against others arts though not necessarily....(I'm sitting here with a stupid look on my face) I have no idea how to answer this question.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sucka,

I really dig that sponsor a child program that your school runs. I think that would be a great idea. I hope you don't mind but I would like to suggest such a program to our school.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1)My instructor does an agreement. This entails that you agree to practice for a certain amount of time, depending on which program. You shake his hand he trusts that you will live up to your end of the agreement. If not, then it was nice having you at the school.

2)Yes. We have a pretty nice "family" atmosphere. GM Park teaches a good range of techniques as well as cover a lot of different aspects of the art.

3)Yes. The main reason is the fact that we drill on basics so much. I am not as flexible as an 18 year old, but I feel my techniques have more focus than in the past.

4)I have trained in other arts as well as taken up nautilus training and more cardio training.

5)I have used it in all three areas. While in Korea I had an incident that I had to use my kicks and trappings. In competition, I did knock a guy out using my spinning back kick. In the class I elbowed a guy in the leg when his kick was coming in. :)

6) This is a tough question due to the fact that I train in TKD, HKD and Kumdo. Generally, the modern TKD schools (that teach 90% WTF sparring) are not that effective. My school, though they teach that, does not emphasize it as much. We emphasize a lot on the basics and train with more practical application. The HKD we train in is effective because we base it on few techniques that are easily adaptable to different situations as opposed to several hundred that HKD offers. My kumdo is practical if you need to use a long range weapon. The focus of one strike techniques that we use is also helpful.

7)My main art is Kumdo, TKD and HKD. I also train with other people from other systems and have trained in other styles in the past.

8)You can check out the email link at the bottom of this page for history on my arts or you check my school's web page which give basic information. http://www.worldmartialarts.biz

9)Our claims to be a Korean art. It helps relieve stress build confidence, teach you self defense. We don't claim any mystical powers. We are pretty basic.

10)I am not sure how to answer this one.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 3:30pm

Style: Dynamic Combat,TaeKwondo,Judo,Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. No contracts

2. Yes I find them very enjoyable. It's finally something realistic to learn unlike most martial arts. The atmosphere is very relaxed; there's no uniforms and the classes are vey small. Usually it's one instructor with no more than three students so you get a lot of individual attention which really helps.

3.I'm improved with my overall skills I think. I feel like I'm beginning to hit a plataeu in my skills, however. I've reached a high degree of skill; developed a lot of speed and power, my techniques are flawless, and I do great against almost everyone in sparing, yet I'm not improving much anymore.

4. For sure I've learned how to punch with more power and speed; my defensive skills are great. My over all fighting skill has improved a lot.

5. One time were were doing live defensive drills where one student hits the other while they defend using whatever method they want, or the instructor just has us use shielding or parries. Anyway, I put a little too much power in my hook and I caught the other student's side of his eye and fractured his orbital bone with 12 ounce gloves on. Last week in class I thought I hurt my sparing partner with a cross. He turned away and ran a little in ring to get distance. I was worried but we had headgear and gloves so he turned out to be ok. Just jarred him I guess.

6.Yes, because we do a lot of reactive drills that hone our defensive/offensive abilities and they're done to the point where it becomes automatic and we no longer have to think about what to do. All our drills are unchoriograhphed so we really develop the ability to defend an attack that we have no clue where it's coming from. We train everything: weapons, all ranges of fighting, legal/moral issues of the use of force. I feel it's the one of most complete system in the world.

7. Dynamic Combat

8. www.dynamiccombat.com

9. Just that we're some of the best in the self protection field and that DCM is very quick and easy to learn. That in DCM we train to deal with and survive nearly any combative situation in which you might find youself: one attacker, or many that don't, or do have weapons, etc.

10. I'm not sure what arts specificially... I know Richard fought against a lot of different styles while testing out his tactics/ techniques he was developing, including wrestling, kickingboxing, and just plain brawlers, that I know of for sure. One of my instructors recently won the Toughman contest that was here at Rawhide a few months ago and there was one or two boxers, and a lot of really tough guys who were a bit bigger then him and he beat them all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, but all of your schools look like mcdojo's to me.

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 3:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    opps sorry Michael: I meant "learned" - thanks for recognizing it and telling me.

Again, all the schools sound good, all interesting. Seen the Kumdo site already -looks a little like Kendo.

DCM sounds like the most impressive imho.

Edited by - Blade Windu on October 23 2002 15:54:46

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast