Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 9:55am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Real shaolin in NYC?

Hi GUIZ!

They sent a program on the tely yesterday. It was about this 34.th generation warrior monk that defected from china in 1992 which is now teaching shaolin kung fu in new york city. His name is shi yan ming.. alot of celebreties trains with him.. I guess he is legit since they made a show about him on the discovery. He had some intresting philosopy if you are into that. Here is a clip:
    YouTube - Sifu Ming - Art of War

so what am I trying to say whit this thread...Oh yes... There is a shaolin munk in new york city which teaches shaoling kung fu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:09am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, a shaolin monk who taught members of the Wutang Clan.

Now, I'll let someone else address the history and all that stuff. Oh yes, this video is very old.

Also:

Shifu Shi Yan Ming (Yan Min Chen) went to the Shaolin temple when he was 13 years old.
    Now, find out his age, find out when he defected, and find out when the Shaolin temple was rebuilt.

Then tell me how authentic he is?

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigander
    I guess he is legit since they made a show about him on the discovery. .
    Care to change your guess?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:28am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm .. they said that he defected from china in 1992.. so that's 16 years ago... He don't look like he is older than 30... but I could be wrong. so if he is 30 and he defected in 1992 that is 30-16=14 and if he started when he was 13 then .. 1 year in the temple? I guess shaolin life was to hard for him if that's the case:D

Why do they make a show about him on the discovery if this is the case? I trusted discovery to give me unbiased story's.. Or is the producer .. not so clever?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:46am

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, my research fu is pretty bad. According to my googling, this guys claims are quite unlikely to be true. Any one have better luck at verifying his info?

Born in the 1960's

http://www.martialedge.net/articles/...-shi-yan-ming/

entered the temple when he was five (or 13, depending on which article he is interviewing for)
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=264

Defected: 1992 (see first link)

Temples not rebuilt until the 1980's
    http://www.sacred-destinations.com/china/shaolin.htm

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a review on his book, taken from Barnes & Noble:

November 13, 2006: I studied Shaolin martial arts with Shifu Shi Yan Ming in the early nineties in New York City. He taught me Shaolin and I taught him English as his first English language teacher. Shifu was a good friend and excellent martial artist. I wrote the first feature full cover story about him in Wushu Kung Fu magazine, and other articles on other New York City Shaolin monks (e.g. Shi Guo Lin, Shi Hengxin, etc.).

Though I am also the author of a highly controversial 1998 cover story article in Inside Kung Fu wherein the legitimacy of the modern Shaolin Temple and monks is questioned in general terms(as it was a Wall Street Journal cover story years earlier by a different author), Shifu Shi Yan Ming's Shaolin martial arts abilities have always been admirable. In his prime, Shifu was a phenomenal martial artist. And though New York's and Hollywood's lifestyles (plus an added decade and I imagine hundreds of gallons of 'special water') must naturally take a toll on most martial artist's prowess, the photos in Shifu Shi Yan Ming's book point to a still impressive proficiency in Shaolin martial arts.

Let me add that my controversial article in Inside Kung Fu was written many years ago, and what I perceived at the time was good faith. In hindsight, and with added years of maturity, I confess I wish I had not written it, despite my continued reservations regarding the authenticity of today's Shaolin Temple (i.e. its putative modern history, etc.). Shifu Shi Yan Ming and I were good friends, and though we may have possessed divergent personal views and behind-the-scenes information regarding the genuineness of the new Shaolin Temple, I can only say that I have very happy memories of the couple of years when I was his student and at a happy goodbye when I parted New York City for graduate school.

We shared many happy times together, and that includes memories of the most rigorous kung fu workouts and instruction. Shifu Shi Yan Ming's genuine high-caliber exercises are easy to begin, difficult to master, but well worth the exploratory effort. The exercise sections are well worth the price of the book and more. I thank Shifu for many happy memories. In hindsight, I remember only the good times, including the wonderful workouts.

Shifu, I am happy to see you've achieved your dreams in life. I hope the material success you've achived has been worth the sacrifices you made in China and the U.S., and that your students in America and family in China have all benefitted from your chosen path in life. May your life be filled with genuine compassion, kindness, and contributions to the betterment of peoples' lives.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks RT:

despite my continued reservations regarding the authenticity of today's Shaolin Temple (i.e. its putative modern history, etc.). Shifu Shi Yan Ming and I were good friends, and though [B]we may have possessed divergent personal views and behind-the-scenes information regarding the genuineness of the new Shaolin Temple
    Those two sentences sums it up for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:41am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Discovery Channel has gone to **** over the years, with the History Channel and National Geographic Channel following closely behind. Either way, I've seen a good number of the martial arts related documentaries they've produced and they usually fail in the historical accuracy department.

Of course, that's not necessarily their fault considering martial arts history isn't exactly a serious academic pursuit.

And from what I can find, Shi Yan Ming didn't defect from the Shaolin Temple. He just snuck away from the Shaolin performance troupe he was a part of while they were touring the United States.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:44am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaFighta
    And from what I can find, Shi Yan Ming didn't defect from the Shaolin Temple. He just snuck away from the Shaolin performance troupe he was a part of while they were touring the United States.
    It is semantics. He defected from China when he left the troupe. So, people tend to say he defected from Shaolin Temple.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast