Sponsored Links Spacer Image

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 9:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do Tummy Rot?

A journalist once remarked that children were like open sewers. This weekend I found out the hard way. While visiting my nephew, he gave me a simply foul stomach bug that's had me punishing the porcelain with some vigour. Projectile vomiting is the least of my woes, and I've been off solids as a result. It also hurts like a bastard and I feel like I've been chain-whipped by Big Geordie The Pig Fucker (a noted biker) as a result. I've also lost 4lbs in the last 12 hours, which is alarming.

So my strategy is to just doss around, drink fluids and try to get Vitamin C, and not eat for a while, but I'd like to know if there are any hints and tips you lot might have. It's not too severe (but by Christ it feels like it), or at least not severe enough to bother my GP about, so I'm able to function. But is there anything else I should be doing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 10:00am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend eating white rice and applesauce (and nothing else).

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the club brother. Kids give you some nasty **** sometimes, specially stomach flu viruses and crap.

- Drink lots of gatorade, or better yet, make a 2/3 mix of water and orange juice, with a half a teaspoon of salt per half-gallon. Then drink it all day.

- Avoid anything overly acid or alkaline (like strong coffee, lemonades or spicy food).

- Try eating small amounts of cooked oatmeal (make sure it's not too dry), mixed with lots of non-sugar-added yogurt (you need to replenish your gut bacteria.)

- Avoid excessively starchy or sugary food. You don't want Lt. Uhura telling Kirk that their systems have identified you as a "dangerous gaseous anomaly".

- Try eating bananas (good for pooping) and papaya (for digestion) - avoid pineapple (too much sugar, too acid)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan
    I recommend eating white rice and applesauce (and nothing else).
    I'd avoid the white rice (doesn't work for me), but the applesauce is a good suggestion.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 10:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BRAT diet, as is recommended for the children:

banana
    rice
    applesauce
    toast.

I would avoid the OJ and/or gatorade and stick with just room-temp H2O in small sips until you can hold that down. But that is just my personal sensativity moreso then anything.

If you can hold it down, all the better for you.

The basic concepts is like TEM suggested to put solid binding foods in there, but not everything works for everyone. I can't eat the bananas and the applesauce is too acidic for me when sick so I stick with the rice and dried toast.

When I am able to hold a little more down, I move to unsalted cracker and slightly chilled 7-Up that is stirred to conteract the carbonation.

Other people I know do the same with straight Coke....again stirred to offset carbonation.

One thing to keep an eye on:

excessive fluid loss that can lead to vascular collapse. If you have this MORE then 2 or 3 days, go to a doctor.

Even though they probably can't give you anything, they can make sure it isn't the Rotavirus, as my nephew was within hours of serious injury from lack of proper hydration.

And carry handgel and take something like Emergen-C when being around the filthy little buggers.

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    When I am able to hold a little more down, I move to unsalted cracker and slightly chilled 7-Up that is stirred to conteract the carbonation.
    have you tried ginger ale instead of 7-up? ginger is good.
    :new_all_c

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 11:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to fluids, easily digestible foods and emergen-C, I take acidophilous and bifidus supplements when I have alimentary problems.

What say you smart men of Bullshido? Good idea or bad?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 11:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    In addition to fluids, easily digestible foods and emergen-C, I take acidophilous and bifidus supplements when I have alimentary problems.

What say you smart men of Bullshido? Good idea or bad?
    I have always heard that acidophilus was a good idea and have actually heard yogurt to be a good idea, but the one time I tried it, the dairy in the yogurt just made me more sick.

I tried acidophilus tablets daily, but don't do well with pills, which is why I take things like the Emergen-C, as I can just drink the damn stuff.....so I eat 2 or 3 "probiotic" yogurts a day to try and get the same benefit.

But if you can handles it, then hell yeah, I wish I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    have you tried ginger ale instead of 7-up? ginger is good.
    being of a delicate constitution, sometimes the ginger has more 'bite' to it then I can handle.......I am a weak softie.

I got an upset stomach when my wife was pregnant and she was chewing whole ginger root to offset the nausia.

that just about killed me.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 5:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A quick update - I've taken El Macho's advice. Yogurt 'n porridge have helped a great deal as have the banana and orange juice/water/salt combo. I've also dug up an old cure for cholera-induced dehydration in Nepal: drink a pint of water with a teaspoon of salt and sugar. It works wonders. Still feel like cack, mind you, but am feeling much better than before. Entrails aren't churning it out at both ends anymore either, but it looks like I'm going to be restricting what I eat until at least Thursday.

However, the raging shits have now swept through my house, so the other hints and tips (like BRAT) will be duly spread to the other victims. My girlfriend is at death's door, so she definitely needs some applesauce...
    Last edited by Truculent Sheep; 10/20/2008 5:50pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 2:14pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you supposed to take in a friendly bacteria? Like antibiatics?
    I mean does having stomach bug upsets your good bacteria balance?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast