Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 12:16am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

training right before a match/tourney?

just curious, and yes, i shall ask my instructor, but just thought of starting a thread here first. point me in the right direction if there has been a previous thread, couldn't find one.

what should one's training regiment resemble like... THE WEEK right before a match/tournament?

my gym is having an internal no-gi BJJ tournament this saturday, morning team vs. night team, as a warmup for a tournament we're entering next month. we're all taught by the same instructor, so he has a lot of fun riling up both sides and telling us how the other team is going to kick our asses.

anyways, what would a proper schedule look like? i don't think 5 days worth of work can affect conditioning or cardio that much (or can it? i'm talking out my ass here), so should we all be focusing more on technique than anything else the days right before a match? should PT be brought down, in order to prevent fatigue on the day of the match? i trained pretty hard every weekday last week, and i generally train at least 3-4 days a week at varying levels of intensity.

what about diet? i'm always steadily near my weight (always slightly under or just above 185lbs), so is there any type of food i should focus on getting in me, or just eat well rounded meals every day? in this case, we won't be weighed, as it's an internal tourney, our instructor will set up the divisions himself based on skill/size, but still curious.

should i take the day before off? 2 days before? i'm taking thursday off from training, going to see my girlfriend at this art expo thing she's doing, haven't seen her in 3 weeks, so yes. girls still > BJJ, but do fighters take a rest day before matches?

i await your enlightment, oh wise bullies.

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 12:18am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always take 4 days lightly, but not off. Just some light cardio and bag work, maybe a touch of sparring and rolling.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (1) Make weight (but hydrate all possible)

(2) Work out, but do not risk injury

(3) Remember - healing takes place after a hard workout. Hence, do not work out above your normal exteme.

(4) Rest all possible the night before and eat a GOOD meal (not too heavy on the protein and loaded with carbohydrates). Take a good crap in the morning.

(5) Again - do nothing training wise beyond your norm.

Stay calm and have fun.

Good luck,

Joe

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 12:28am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Joe.

BUTAKKEEEEEEE!!!!!:XXspermy:

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    just curious, and yes, i shall ask my instructor, but just thought of starting a thread here first. point me in the right direction if there has been a previous thread, couldn't find one.

what should one's training regiment resemble like... THE WEEK right before a match/tournament?

my gym is having an internal no-gi BJJ tournament this saturday, morning team vs. night team, as a warmup for a tournament we're entering next month. we're all taught by the same instructor, so he has a lot of fun riling up both sides and telling us how the other team is going to kick our asses.
    Cool Idea. For me, I like to use the week prior as a sort of restoration period. Chances are I've been pushing myself hard and need to cut back to get my body back into a healthy state.

Flexibility, cardio, and skills should be at the focal point but remember that your only trying to maintain whatever you've developed up to this point, not to improve on anything except maybe your skill set.

For example you could do a light cardio routine every morning followed by a longer then normal session of stretching or yoga. For your classes you'll want to constantly drill your "go to" moves as well check for any holes in your game that can be exploited. You should free grapple, but make sure not to injure yourself or push yourself too far.

i don't think 5 days worth of work can affect conditioning or cardio that much (or can it? i'm talking out my ass here),
    you could do a decent job increasing your cardio (especially if you don't usually focus on it) in 5 days, but you may also injure yourself and tax your body. I say include some cardio but keep it light (think a 30 min walk/jog in the morning)

so should we all be focusing more on technique than anything else the days right before a match? should PT be brought down, in order to prevent fatigue on the day of the match? i trained pretty hard every weekday last week, and i generally train at least 3-4 days a week at varying levels of intensity.
    Yes, focus on your skills the day prior and not do anything that will tax your body 24 - 48 hours before the tournament.

what about diet? i'm always steadily near my weight (always slightly under or just above 185lbs), so is there any type of food i should focus on getting in me, or just eat well rounded meals every day? in this case, we won't be weighed, as it's an internal tourney, our instructor will set up the divisions himself based on skill/size, but still curious.
    If you don't have to make weight then just focus on having good eating habits. Whats your diet looking like right now? Make sure you are getting plenty of water!

should i take the day before off? 2 days before? i'm taking thursday off from training, going to see my girlfriend at this art expo thing she's doing, haven't seen her in 3 weeks, so yes. girls still > BJJ, but do fighters take a rest day before matches?
    Like I said earlier, take the day before off 2 days if you feel you need it. Chances are one day of training isn't going to revolutionize your game, if you catch my drift

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 12:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, one thing I learned from experience is not to try to experiment with supplement DAY OF the tournament.

Tried a crazy energy drink (Which I tend to avoid) after a team mate recommended it and it messed with my body bad!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 8:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my go-to moves lately have been triangles and kimuras from the guard. my game had this exponential improvement a couple of weeks back when i rolled with some n00bier guys than me. after landing subs left and right, and going back to rolling with guys that pretzelize me quite easily, i actually started to land a sub or two on them as well. newfound confidence perhaps?

i'm also working on this thing. perhaps you guys can help. i shoot for a triangle, **** it up, my guard gets passed. i generally hang on to the arm that was to stay inside. my guard is still technically passed, but his arm is still clutched by my hand, in between my legs. i use this to stall for a bit, shrimp out to prevent side-control, etc, but could i effectively roll this position into an omoplata? sounds improbable to me, but just thought i'd ask.

so, nothing physically taxing right before the tourney? haven't seen my gf for 3 weeks and get to see her 2 days before... GREAT. "no babe... you have to wait until after the strong sweaty men roll on the ground with me"

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 9:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, have fun with your girl. you should still be good

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :love10:

what about sugar, night before/day of match? sugar binge a bad idea?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    i'm also working on this thing. perhaps you guys can help. i shoot for a triangle, **** it up, my guard gets passed. i generally hang on to the arm that was to stay inside. my guard is still technically passed, but his arm is still clutched by my hand, in between my legs. i use this to stall for a bit, shrimp out to prevent side-control, etc, but could i effectively roll this position into an omoplata? sounds improbable to me, but just thought i'd ask.
    You want to google Pe De Pano and the 'cross guard'. This might help getting you started:
    http://www.aesopian.com/40/cross-guard-an-introduction/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast