Posted On:
    10/26/2008 9:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee Brace Recommendation? BJJ/Wrestling

Hello,

I've had ACL surgery and I am hoping to return to both wrestling and BJJ. I want to purchase a knee brace to protect my knee in training. I have no intention to compete, but I need to make sure that it is something that won't injury my training partners but provide me with enough support (mental comfort) to protect the repaired ACL. I've been checking out the braces at Donjoy (http://www.donjoy.com) but I have no idea which one to invest in. Has anyone purchased a good knee brace to protect the ACL? If so, your recommendation would be appreciated.
    Thanks

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 9:09am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't suppose you've asked your doctor if he has a recommendation.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The search function (I highly recommend it) turns up a few recommendations for kinesiotape rather than a hard brace.

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 3:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i don't suppose you've asked your doctor if he has a recommendation.
    I havent. i can call him. Not sure how in tune with wrestling/bjj and knee braces he is, but worth a shot. i wanted to see if there was some real world usage out there. thanks

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 3:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    The search function (I highly recommend it) turns up a few recommendations for kinesiotape rather than a hard brace.
    ya. searched on it and read the post on kinesiotape. i was looking more for a brace to support the acl. i've seen a number of division 1 wrestling matches with wrestlers wearing braces, just not sure which ones.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 7:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Im looking for the same brace

I'VE FOUND THAT YOU MUST HAVE A HINGED BRACE TO SUPPORT KNEE INSTABILITY. IF YOUR NEW ACL IS COMPLETELY HEALED IT IS TECHNICALLY "AS STRONG AS NEW", TECHNICALLY. YOU WILL STILL WANT MAJOR SUPPORT FOR THE MENTAL CONFIDENCE PART IF NOTHING ELSE.
    IF YOU HAVE ANY INSTABILITY ( I HAVE A STRETCHED MCL-THEY WILL NOT DO SURGURY ON) THEN A HINGED BRACE IS THE ONLY THING TO PROTECT YOUR KNEE.
    SO WE NEED HINGED BRACES THAT ARE MAT AND PRACTICE FRIENDLY.
    MY BEST RESEARCH SHOWS:
    http://www.ossur.com/?pageid=2978 IS A CLOSE AS IT GETS
    http://www.breg.com/knee-bracing/sof...nged-knee.html ANOTHER GOOD ATTEMPT
    http://www.bluechipwrestling.com/Cli...epad-P216.aspx MAY BE USED AS APAD OVER A HINGED BRACE

GOOD LUCK

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 6:53pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had ACL and meniscus work done on my right knee, and MCL + meniscus surgery on the left. I've had zero issues using thinly padded knee sleeves and have never felt a need for anything more.

Purely anecdotal, but the thing that's helped most in terms of comfort and mobility in my opinion is massive daily intake of fish oil and glucosamine. Very noticeable difference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 7:20pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in judo, there's a rule, no hard objects. I don't know if this is the same for wrestling or bjj, but I do know that at least in bjj, you're doing some submissions with your legs. If you use a hinged brace, you have to be extra careful when doing these subs because you won't have a feel for the pressure you're exerting on your partner. I worked once with a guy wearing a hinged elbow brace and that was enough; I'll never work with somebody wearing such a thing again. My elbow is still not the same.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 9:15pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MCL, kneecap slippage is my problem. And a little meniscus surgery. I go with this Bike model for lateral stability. It's a hinged brace with padding over the metal bits. It's quite nice.

Amazon.com: Bike Extreme Support All-Sport Hinged Knee Brace with Aeroskin: Sports & Outdoors

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 2:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have also had my ACL repaired and in my person experience i still use a neoprene brace that was given to me by a doctor. but, it is really just a mental thing, the only way to really protect that knee is to build it back up. you have to build up the muscles and do a lot of stretching... I am still new to MA but i have already noticed that because my knee is so flexible now, it really doesn't hinder my performance at all. so long story short it needs to have a hinge in it or it won't support your knee the ways it needs to. But, don't rely on it. do lots of stretches and build up the muscle or you will never get anywhere with it