Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Weak

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It didn't look like anyone was trolling on that thread, it just looks as if f4n4l wasn't smart enough to not post after Tom's warning.
    Which, in this case, he deserves the ban.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He got banned when several of us trolled noobtown, and when Tom asked for volenteers to be banned he made another post. Dumbass.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Which, in this case, he deserves the ban.
    *cough* RAT! *cough*

fight the power!
    free all politically banned!
    posters against moderator brutality!!!

Weak

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I support Tom's decision to ban f4n4l.

(polishes apple for Tom)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by markcos262
    Danno did you choke until submission or until unconcious?
    until unconscious.

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:41pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    Can you gay-marriage him?

LOL NO U CANT!
    Touche'

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:20pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    !Lederhosen! you moron. And I rather be sentenced to death than wear that ****.
    Well, the reason for that might not be me but ... you know(well you don't know I guess, otherwise I wouldn't have to put it to you this obvious) ... you. But if it helps, I can rewrite the post in very simple sentences and easy words, maybe draw a few pictures or use finger puppets to reenact certain parts of the party.

I settle for paragraphs and punctuation.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ADM
    Hang on, chokes classify as lethal force in Adelaide? Remind me to never go to SA where there are idiotic laws such as this.

Probably Australia wide at a guess. I don't think it's so much an idiotic law as a law against idiocy, when writting the law there was probably some consideration put into the possibility of accidental death.
    I'm not saying of course that any body who has been competently trained how to RNC is an idiot but the laws, generally speaking are written to reflect the community standard and the use of "reasonable" force.
    In other words it would be seen as extreme to use possible lethal force against someone for spilling your beer.
    Yeah, I believe the laws are made for people who aren't trained who use a choke (knowingly or unknowingly) and leave it on too long. Even clean blood chokes can result in brain damage if left on for too long.

But in any case, the original story just reminded me of something that happened to me this year, a similarly akward self-defence / use of force situation;

I went to this massive adelaide festival opening (the Fringe opening party, for any SA folk on here) with a female friend of mine and a couple male friends. At about midnight most of the guys we were hanging out with bailed, leaving this female friend and I to roam around enjoying the bands and such.

A four-lane road had been blocked off, and was filled with people overflowing from the concerts in the eastern parklands, and the Garden on the other side, and we ended up sitting on the traffic island in the middle of the road. Eventually an extremely suspicious individual (huge grey hoody, lazy eye, shaved head....alarm bells went off immediately :P) came up and sat with us and, attempting to block me from the conversation, started talking with my female friend. At some point he asked her if I was her boyfriend, to which she answered no.

In my opinion, this was what caused the situation to occur the way it did; had she said yes, I reckon he would've a) started the fight sooner if not instantly or b) not start a fight at all. In any case, after several failed attempts to get her away from him, and a successful blocking of his attempt to lure her to his car, this chap decided to come up to me and tell me to "**** off or he'd whack me one." At this point, I probably should've knocked him out, but being a naive optimistic bloke, I didn't. Eventually we got into the situation where he was standing next to my female friend, and I was facing them both (not wanting to be too far away in case he tried to harm her) and as I finally decided to recruit some help and turned towards the crowd, he hit me with what I assumed was a right straight just above the eye.

It rocked me to my knees, but I'd been rocked before, so seeing he wasn't advancing and i had space I straightaway came to my feet. He removed his hood and pointed to his shaved head, yelling something like "YOU DON'T MESS WITH THIS!" by which I can only assume that he was of the opinion that bald people are clearly far more dangerous than those with hair.

At that point I was a bit reluctant to engage, mainly because of my much smaller stature and limited training at the time (only a month or two)

This is the amusing part of the story; at that moment a group of huge rugby-player looking guys came over and started shoving me, thinking that I was the one who was bothering HIS girl (due to the fact that they were standing next to one another and I was facing them)

My female friend quickly alerted them to the fact that the other guy was at fault, but whom by then had made a hasty retreat.

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 10:29pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had you smacked this guy 3 ways from Sunday after he nailed you with that hit, I would be extremely suprised if any jury in Australia would convict you anything. Not to mention that would only occur if the guy goes to the cops and then they find out who you are.

You had witnesses, battle scars and were attacked first. I don't need to draw a picture here.

Also as for keeping on a blood choke too long to cause brain damage, that would be a good reason to not hold the choke for 2-5 mins and maybe stop after about 10 seconds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2008 3:15am

Style: bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    I don't normally do this, but I call BS on your story dude. If someone attacks you with a weapon that can kill, that means that he has intent to kill and reasonable force could actually include kill your opponent.

At least that's how the law works here in Australia. If someone attacked me with a knife I could pretty much do anything to stop him.
    Not necessarily if you are threatened with a weapon and you have an avenue of escape then you must escape or if they drop the weapon then they are no longer a threat and you can only use such force as is required to protect yourself/ others or restrain the individual.
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast