Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 2:14pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that a manga or anime about real grappling has the potential to be completely awesome. BJJ is at least as exciting as boxing in theory; your argument that grappling is inherently un-glamourizable falls flat with me.

Grappler Baki is actually a great example of Japanese martial arts bias; in Grappler Baki, the two fighters who use BJJ get beaten down easily. The only people beaten by BJJ are other westerners, like the boxer. The german submission grappler gets trounced by a Karate kid who doesn't even know how to escape the mount (literally, he explicitly identifies the mount position as a sort of gimmick technique that would never work on him). The Japanese MMA guy gets beaten by someone who can deliver 30 consecutive flying kicks, and even the Judoka loses to a skinny heroin addict. Grappler Baki was definitely someone's angry pet project seemingly directed at all "alive" styles, plus non-asians (esp. black dudes).

BJJ is definitely seen as something to be denounced in Japan, and the evidence in popular culture is very strong.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 3:08pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, what language are you guys speaking? I haven't watched anime since freshman year in high school when I found out I couldn't really learn the "kamehameha" or pilot a gigantic robot made from an alloy called Gundanium. The news about the robots cut me deep :sad7:

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always though the Japanese loved BJJ. They created organizations like ZST that specifically favored the man on bottom, and always ooh and awwed the technical grappling ability. Maybe the Japanese really are no better than the American fans, just annoying in different ways.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:18pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    I always though the Japanese loved BJJ. They created organizations like ZST that specifically favored the man on bottom, and always ooh and awwed the technical grappling ability. Maybe the Japanese really are no better than the American fans, just annoying in different ways.
    Japanese fighting organizations certainly are receptive enough to BJJ, and the average japanese fan seems to have a FAR better grasp of grappling technique, but in popular culture (by which I mean cartoons), BJJ is always shown as misguided at best.

P.S: To Zaohu: as fun as it is to make fun of people who watch cartoons,

1. Japanese cartoons are not targeted just at kids. The stories also tend toward more mature themes.
    2. Everyone hates DBZ. But I'm not about to say "I don't watch live-action movies anymore because I saw waterworld and BOY did it suck!" Don't judge a whole genre by its retarded posterboy.
    3. I really hate defending anime, because it generally does have similar annoying tendencies no matter what the series or movie (Really weird endings, extremely girly male characters, remarkable sexism, etc.); but you can't condemn the whole genre out of hand like that. It can be entertaining and quirky and fun to watch, and at worst it's certainly no worse than TV shows from europe or north america.
    Last edited by Epicurus; 10/26/2008 4:23pm at .
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shamo has a BJJ guy who doesn't suck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tokyo Zombie is a manga about two BJJ guys surviving/fighting zombies with their Jiujitsu... the Mangaka trains BJJ and fights in MMA...
    and I think in one Detective Conan episode a guy from brazil named Rickson Tanaka or something uses BJJ and kills a lady who was trying to assassinate him for some inheritance money, so its not all negative portrayals.

I would assume another reason why this anti-BJJ bias exists is mangaka are nerds who believe in all the mystical traditional martial arts stuff or are people who understand that many people believe in that stuff and want to see their country's martial art win (aka japanese styles), so their work reflects this sentiment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:48pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, I thought BJJ guys actually get laid once in a while, and hence have no need for anime/comic books?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 4:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    Wait, I thought BJJ guys actually get laid once in a while, and hence have no need for anime/comic books?
    This is very true, so not only do the people who write this crap nerds, as the previous poster explained, but the people that read it are too. So BJJ wins again.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Trigonometry

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    From what I understand, manga is fairly mainstream in Japan, and while an obsession with anime/manga is usually associated with social retardation, a healthy enjoyment of those media isn't considered anything to be ashamed of.

Then again, maybe no one in Japan ever gets laid.

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrudeDude
    Then again, maybe no one in Japan ever gets laid.
    Just bukkake.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast