Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie
    the guy who said I would waste my time getting a bb in TKD (he did the same and competed at the intl level) has a negative opinion of it, and that's fine. I cant speak for him, but I would think he does not really regret ALL that time spent, as he has probably found some usefulness in what he learned as background,
    Instead of guessing, you should ask him. You may hear that he does indeed regret those ten years. He could have spent those ten years learning a superior martial art, or learning via a superior pedagogy. Opportunity costs exist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 11:08pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=ralphie]
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    OK, so to be constructive then...let me ask you a question. Do you feel the 'karate generation' as they call it -- getting kids involved at a young age (instead of soccer, or baseball, or gymnastics) -- is responsible for that weakening across the board? Obviously not all parents are going to put their 6 year-olds in a full-contact sparring extracurricular, and of course if kids get bored and dont earn rank soon enough, they may want to quit (hence the tendency to create mcdojos).

What do you feel is the best alternative to getting kids involved? Should it be no contact or semi-contact to concentrate on the basics, like bagwork, forms, etc, until a certain age, like 13, 14, or even adulthood? Or do you feel parents should skip MA altogether?
    grappling, grappling would be the answer you're looking for

not to mention wrestling is usually free at that age anyway.. why the hell would you do anything else?

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 11:17pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what sucks? I wrestled all through highschool and I thought all the Krotty and TKD kids could totally take me in a fight.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 1:07am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks SFGoon for helping me illustrate my original point...I'll bet I've seen many of your posts in the past...:angry9:
    Yeah that's right. Bitches can't get enough! Can I get a what what!!! :englishmo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks SFGoon for helping me illustrate my original point...I'll bet I've seen many of your posts in the past...:angry9:

:pity:

It appears you still don't get it .

Anyway , what I was saying was to read more . Take your time and get a better feel for the site . I can clearly see you need to understand why people criticize some styles more than others .

Pay attention to peoples bios and current style fields .

Do some research .

Watch different combat sports and see if any patterns emerge .

I am very sorry you are so offended and hurt by other peoples' opinions . Maybe you should spend some time in the KMA forum well hell I will link you directly to all the TMA forums .

:icon_thum
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 8:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Again, I respect that opinion. As long as 'the other stuff' is respected in it's own right that's OK. The guy who said I would waste my time getting a bb in TKD (he did the same and competed at the intl level) has a negative opinion of it, and that's fine. I cant speak for him, but I would think he does not really regret ALL that time spent, as he has probably found some usefulness in what he learned as background, just as you have.

.:icon_comp
    I don't regret the social experience of TKD, I met some cool people there and had some good times. But I regret every second of Martial Arts training I had. I can only imagine how awesome it would have been to be studying BJJ/MT for 10 years instead of TKD. I'd be a freakin badass. Instead I have a great sidekick, a good spinning sidekick, fast roundkicks, good balance, good flexibility, and nothing else. I got all that in the first year or so. The other 9 were spent learning tons of forms and occasionally competing. Teaching little kids forms, etc.. etc.. and handling all kinds of organizational political bullshit.
    I would have much rather been doing something more effective.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    :pity:

I am very sorry you are so offended and hurt by other peoples' opinions . Maybe you should spend some time in the KMA forum well hell I will link you directly to all the TMA forums .
    :icon_thum
    First of all, as I've said earlier..I'm NOT offended. No one can tell me my time was wasted and my belt is worthless, because I havent earned rank...I'm new.

And as I've told "It is Fake"...I HAVE been to other areas of the site, including the TMA forums -- both the TKD/Korean and the Japanese mostly. But I'm glad you brought this up...While, yes, there are some decent threads, it reminded me of one of the first threads I read in the TKD/korean forum when I started browsing around bullshido.net:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=72317&page=1

Now, I cant see the video this guy linked b/c its no longer available, and he certainly does not sound like the most informed person on the forums...BUT..apparently he had a video of a TKD fighter that outperformed a Muay Thai boxer. This poster was trashed -- and not just on a critique level of the TKD figher's performance, but on a personal level, even with a Forum Leader cursing him. ALMOST everyone made excuses for the fighter in the video, and otherwise demeaned TKD and the poster himself.

What the hell? The original poster didnt even say that TKD was better than other arts...his thread title was: "Proof that tae kwon do doesnt suck just most dojos"

Whether youre convinced it was 'proof' or not, a lot of the responses were angry, sarcastic, and attacking.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    I don't regret the social experience of TKD, I met some cool people there and had some good times. But I regret every second of Martial Arts training I had. I can only imagine how awesome it would have been to be studying BJJ/MT for 10 years instead of TKD. I'd be a freakin badass. Instead I have a great sidekick, a good spinning sidekick, fast roundkicks, good balance, good flexibility, and nothing else. I got all that in the first year or so. The other 9 were spent learning tons of forms and occasionally competing. Teaching little kids forms, etc.. etc.. and handling all kinds of organizational political bullshit.
    I would have much rather been doing something more effective.
    Well, as for the teaching little kids forms and such and handling organizational bullshit, I can understand that being a waste. I wouldnt want to do that either. Unfortunately you stayed with it longer than you needed, so I understand your regret, since you wanted more fighting skills. Maybe that first year (or even two) would have been enough to give you the good kicks, balance, and flexibility (which obviously are still valuable to you). If you would have left TKD after getting your black belt and gotten into BJJ/MT then (for 8-9 years) you'd be just as badass, and possibly even moreso because of your variety in skills, and added flexibility...

Anyway, glad youre enjoying what you do now, and thanks for the input....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:28pm

Style: brazillian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ralphie,

I haven't read all of the posts. Every one I read makes me want to add something to my post, which is impractical, so I will stick to the basics.
    I am a 32 year old therapist who has spent a lifetime in "Traditional" martial arts before discovering BJJ. I had 7 years in Kosho Ryu Kempo (Kosho Shorei Kia branch), Aikido, and Isshin Ryu Karate, so please do not assume that we are all teenage, uneducated, adrenaline junkies that got into martial arts after seeing some UFC fights (I haven't read anywhere that you actually said this, but it's believed enough by people who post your argument that I decided to address it first).

Secondly, many of us do subscribe to similar assumptions about martial arts, but please remember that all arguments, rational or irrational, are based on assumptions (If you would like an explanation as to how science itself is based on assumptions, please PM me.)

My assumptions are:
    1. The purpose of Martial Arts training is to create more effective fighters.
    2. Reality is the ultimate test of any idea, belief, system, method, or argument.
    3. when testing through reality is impractical, dangerous, or impossible, the closest approximation must do.

Under these assumptions:
    -Real fighting as a test of style effectiveness is both dangerous and impractical, therefore an approximation must do.
    -MMA style competitions, though significantly different than real fights, are the closest reasonable approximation.
    -The results of these competitions are the best available data as to the effectiveness of different styles at meeting their purpose.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjgame
    3. when testing through reality is impractical, dangerous, or impossible, the closest approximation must do.

Under these assumptions:
    -Real fighting as a test of style effectiveness is both dangerous and impractical, therefore an approximation must do.
    -MMA style competitions, though significantly different than real fights, are the closest reasonable approximation.
    -The results of these competitions are the best available data as to the effectiveness of different styles at meeting their purpose.
    Statistics 101 right there.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast