228240 Bullies, 4270 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 93
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. ralphie is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    10/25/2008 11:06pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hi..first (maybe last....) post

    Good work, Bullshido!!!!

    I'm new to joining this site...and new to martial arts (ITF style TKD)...but have been all over the forums for a long time now... It's been a good reference, and this website (among others) have opened my eyes to a few things I needed to learn about as I researched my local options for martial arts schools, one of which was Choi Kwang Do...

    Again, thanks!


    That said, I read the newbie sticky note, and I know I'm probably violating one or two 'rules', but here goes anyway.

    It appears that the main point of this site is not just to weed out the BS, but specifically so that MMA guys have a forum to pound their chests and criticize not only TKD but virtually everyone else, and often posters do so simply out of ignorance of the art they are criticizing. I think a few of the rules in your newbie sticky notes says it all -- (paraphrased) "...we all know who would win in a grappling vs striking art", and (paraphrased) "Criticizing TaeKwonDO is acceptable...as long as you have a new angle". Well, so you dont see aikido, shotokan karate, kung fu, tang soo do, or TKD masters winning UFC matches, so therefore the arts must 'suck', they must be 'bullshido'. How closed-minded.

    Now, I will agree with the argument that 'martial arts' is the art of combat, and therefore what wins in combat is really all that matters. Only a fool would deny that. But why cant a martial art excel in one area or another (as all traditional arts do) and also have elements of creativity, health benefits, etc., while allowing you to escape as opposed to being 100% devoted to killing someone or forcing them into submission? Prior to this, freestyle wrestling is the only 'martial art' I ever took. In my case, in addition to self-defense tactics, I want to learn the 'B.S.' high kicks and snapping techniques that makes TKD flashy and fun to watch, because it will require I gain strength, control, flexibility, and stamina to perfect.

    Look, I'm a small guy, so as far as combat is concerned, a 6'6" guy who can bench press 300+ lbs would easily be able to take me in a fight, and if he has a weapon, forget it, but THAT's why if i cant escape, I wont fight him with ANY empty hand art. I'm a 2nd amendment supporter with a concealed carry permit, so we can debate how effective his Muey thai skills were AFTER I put a .45 caliber bullet through his forehead.

    Anyway...have fun guys...tear me up, or refuse to post this. I feel better. And I look forward to any comments!!!! :laughing7
  2. GhostOfKimura

    Guest

    Posted On:
    10/25/2008 11:07pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums ralphie... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.
  3. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    10/25/2008 11:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hey !

    Welcome to Bullshido .

    Read more , and pay close attention to style fields . You will be ok .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  4. ralphie is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    10/26/2008 12:08am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    ...pay close attention to style fields . You will be ok .
    Not sure what you mean by that, but OK.
  5. Holy Moment is offline
    Holy Moment's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    4,184

    Posted On:
    10/26/2008 12:10am

    supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie
    Not sure what you mean by that, but OK.
    What he's trying to say is, don't assume that people who criticize styles of martial arts are doing so out of ignorance. Many Bullshido members have trained in mcdojos or TMAs at one time or another.
  6. ironcastknight is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    426

    Posted On:
    10/26/2008 12:11am


     Style: Kendo, Krotty

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He means to take a good look at the little Style: areas on the right of a post across from a person's name on their posts, presumably because you might notice a large quantity of Tae Kwon Do in those fields. People here aren't all a bunch of BJJ nutriders, after all.
  7. Nefron is offline
    Nefron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    1,587

    Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:17pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie
    Good work, Bullshido!!!!

    I'm new to joining this site...and new to martial arts (ITF style TKD)

    Rantrantrantrantrantrant
    If you admit that you are new to MA don't you think that there is a possibility that chest beating MMA nuthuggers who trained for years are right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie
    Anyway...have fun guys...tear me up, or refuse to post this.
    There is no censoring on Bullshido.You can post all kinds od crap and not get censored,only little molested. Dont start "fighting the system" here.Most of the posters are here to help each other.
  8. v1y is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    657

    Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:36pm


     Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie
    But why cant a martial art excel in one area or another (as all traditional arts do)
    Your logic is flawed because you accept this as fact when in reality it is not.
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,013

    Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:06pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically, what you did is not read the website. You looked at whatever style you practiced (TKD) and had your feelings get hurt.
  10. ralphie is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:08pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    Your logic is flawed because you accept this as fact when in reality it is not.
    All traditional martial arts (and I will admit I have to take new generations out of this like possibly ChoiKwanDo) at a bare minumum get you in better physical condition, perhaps great shape depending on the curriculum and school, and the tenets teach awareness and the avoidance of conflict as the best defense. I think your assumption is that every art should excel at neutralizing or paralyzing someone in one way or another. In that case, I agree with you. Tai Chi will likely not help me in taking down a 300 lb attacker.


    I understand not EVERYONE here is a BJJ or MMA enthusiast. And yes, I have seen many TKD posters, and usually they are defending themselves. But all the posts I've browsed and been linked to before joining -- and after reading the mission of this website -- give the impression that a the AVERAGE master in some traditional art is NOT going to get nearly the respect of the AVERAGE MMA noobie.


    What he's trying to say is, don't assume that people who criticize styles of martial arts are doing so out of ignorance. Many Bullshido members have trained in mcdojos or TMAs at one time or another.
    I also understand that many have trained in mcdojo's. But what is unfortunate is that many have gotten a bad impression of an art because of a mcdojo. I've also spoken with many others who warned me of McDojo's, but still had a strong passion for their art. I'm sure there are just as many bad MMA dojos, boxing gyms, etc. out there that are more concerned with profit than quality training, too.


    If you admit that you are new to MA don't you think that there is a possibility that chest beating MMA nuthuggers who trained for years are right?
    And yes, I'm new to MA and have the UTMOST respect for everyone who has trained in ANY MA, especially those who have varied their expertise and trained for years. And I can respect anyone who can say THIS <name your art> school or organization is bad, but THIS one is great. But to YOUR point, as to whether the MMA guys are 'right' depends on your take on 'the system', as you put it. My original post is not to 'fight the system', I cant... But to assume they are 'right' about why all the other arts 'suck' means that the only valuable aspect of MA is what will kill a man in a street fight.

    That was my ONLY point on this post.

    Thanks!
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.