Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 9:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Concealed means concealed. Unless you're doing something that's going to put you in contact with the police in the first place then you can pretty much get away with carrying practically anything that you can conceal.

If you ever do use it to defend yourself legitimately you'll face some weapons charges at the worst and probably never see the inside of a cell assuming you don't have a criminal history or you don't go out of your way to put yourself in a "self defense" scenario.
    YOU THINK SO??? If you believe this, you damn well better be careful who you vote for in November, or at least better check their voting records so you know what you're getting on board with. This "Anti-Bush" bandwagon comes with a whole other mess of anti-constitutional baggage, just not Bush-style. Obama has voted for criminal persecution of those that use weapons, those not kosher by the letter of the law, PURELY for self defense by law abiding citizens with no priors whatsoever. Know what you're voting for, folks...

Okay. Rant Officially Over.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 9:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a concealed weapon carrier I'd like to point out that the more of a pain in the ass your weapon of choice is the less likely you are to keep it on you consistently. You'll form a habit of leaving it behind for little things like a quick run to the store and then you'll start leaving it behind all the time.

I suspect an unbreakable umbrella is going to get about a week worth of carry time at best before it's relegated to unbreakably sitting in the closet unless it actually rains.
    It's gotta be environmentally reasonable. If you live in a Northern coastal clime, you can justify a lot. I grew up in Seattle, trust me, you could carry an umbrella year around and apart from the parka-types saying you look like a tourist, you wouldn't get a second's glance. An attache or brief case & an Unbreakable Umbrella would go together like peas and carrots for a professional. I plan on carrying mine all the time when I start working for schools full time. Who cares what people think? I don't. I'll just be that "weird teacher that always carries an umbrella". It's by far the non-kookiest thing I've seen in education. There are soooooo many goofballs out there teaching our kids...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong2
    Over here you arent really allowed to carry everything. Things are getting really fucked up.

Just a couple of weeks ago a liqour store owner was attacked by four guys intent on robbing his shop.
    He was stabbed twice at the outset and then they took to trying to bludgeon him to death. He grabbed a hockey stick from behind the counter and wacked one of his attackers (the one with the knife as it happens).
    The knife man suffered "Bruising and swelling" from the blow. Nothing more.
    But what was the outcome?
    All of the offenders were arrested, only the one with the knife was charged. But what of our wounded store owner? When he got out of hospital he was charged with assault with a weapon.

Remember he had been stabbed twice and had four guys beating the **** out of him. He took a swing with a stick to defend himself and has now been charged with assault with a weapon.

The police said that using a stick to defend himself was "excessive force" for self defence. They said that what he should have done is called the police.

So he was supposed to somehow call the cops whilst being killed at the same time, then wait three hours for them to actually turn up.

Fucking stupid.
    :icon_conf

WHAT THE ****!?!?!?!?!?!?
    That's ridiculous. Where did this happen? You have a link to a news article?
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 10/26/2008 10:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:03pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    It's gotta be environmentally reasonable. If you live in a Northern coastal clime, you can justify a lot. I grew up in Seattle, trust me, you could carry an umbrella year around and apart from the parka-types saying you look like a tourist, you wouldn't get a second's glance. An attache or brief case & an Unbreakable Umbrella would go together like peas and carrots for a professional. I plan on carrying mine all the time when I start working for schools full time. Who cares what people think? I don't. I'll just be that "weird teacher that always carries an umbrella". It's by far the non-kookiest thing I've seen in education. There are soooooo many goofballs out there teaching our kids...
    I think she just meant that it's a lot easier to consistently carry around something like a pocket knife than to lug around an umbrella. And the thing with the weather goes both ways. I live in Pennsylvania and you're gonna look a little sillier carrying around an umbrella year round here. Then again there is always the option of having something to defend yourself that you keep in your car all the time. My friend keeps one of the big heavy mag-lite flashlights in his car all the time. It weighs about 3.5 pounds with the batteries and could be pretty easily employed to injure someone.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:07pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly would recommend MMA training to learn how to defend against weapons. So Dog Brothers would be an option if around, if not, grab some sticks and fight.

Honestly, Matt Thornton said it himself too, it doesnt take a genius to swing a stick. Sure there are certain techniques that you need to learn, but if you can box, grapple and are in good shape, the stick and knife movements should come real easy to you.

Grab a stick and some safety equipment (helmet with cage or goggles, groin cup, hockey cloves) and your set. Markers work good for knives or try the fancy fake ones that shock you so you know you got cut.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nasreal
    I think she just meant that it's a lot easier to consistently carry around something like a pocket knife than to lug around an umbrella. And the thing with the weather goes both ways. I live in Pennsylvania and you're gonna look a little sillier carrying around an umbrella year round here. Then again there is always the option of having something to defend yourself that you keep in your car all the time. My friend keeps one of the big heavy mag-lite flashlights in his car all the time. It weighs about 3.5 pounds with the batteries and could be pretty easily employed to injure someone.
    I carry A LOT of **** around in my car within easy reach of any door. I'd rather have someone say I look silly for carrying an umbrella around full-time than get some undue attention for toting a 6-cell maglite around everywhere. Who cares what you carry in your vehicle? If you don't have it within arms reach all the time, it's no good.

Oh, btw, wrap the batteries with electrical tape so they fit just right. A cop friend taught me that, said that it decreases the kinetic energy loss upon impact from battery rattle. Just smack your palm with it, it's like a solid cylinder.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 10/26/2008 10:15pm at .

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:13pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    It's gotta be environmentally reasonable. If you live in a Northern coastal clime, you can justify a lot.
    It would make it much easier to carry a gun.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:19pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nasreal
    I think she just meant that it's a lot easier to consistently carry around something like a pocket knife than to lug around an umbrella.
    Precisely. Or more preferably a collapsible baton.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would make it much easier to carry a gun.
    Yeah.... hope springs eternal, now doesn't it? I don't foresee ever having the option to legally carry on campus in CA, just the way things are, even with a CCW permit. If you like carrying a gun, hell, if you enjoy OWNING a gun, don't vote for ol' Hussein Obama. He'll take them all away if he can.

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, if collapsible batons were legal, I'd be tempted to buy one and whack the **** out of people constantly. Especially the people who attempt to negotiate menu items in fast food joints while standing in front of me. "Can I have ONE McNugget? And wrap cheese around it. I'll buy it for fifty cents." OH GOD WHAM WHAM WHAM!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast