Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:40pm

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same in Mass. I carry a pistol legally , and a knife ... to cut stuff ... legally. But collapsable batons are out. Dumb. I'd leave the gun at home if my Attourney General & state reps weren't such douchebags.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    Who, besides Toby, uses a walking cane? I mean, unless you're a pimp. In which case you shouldn't even have to use your pimp cane in such an undignified manner.

And if we're going to allow canes, then I'm going to use a damn sword cane, and suddenly foil fencing wasn't so dumb after all!

As for the umbrella fighting, I did that as a little kid and broke every damn umbrella I had (Though, I was trying to emulate Wong Fei Hong from some Jet Li movie). Unless you're willing to shell out some cash for a sturdy one, AND carry it around with you all the time (even when it isn't going to rain, which means you'll look like a total tool), I don't see either of those as plausible.
    I carry canes, esp. when visiting cities (London, Rome, etc.) that have a real street violence problem. Have never had any "issues" other than feeling a bit self-conscious the first time out, but that goes away quickly because, basically, no-one gives you a second glance unless you're flourishing the damn thing like a weapon. I've taken canes on-board airplanes, etc. with no hassles at all. Bartitsu FTW!

Seconded re. the Unbreakable Umbrella. The state security team who protect Filipino VIPs swear by them.

There are plenty of groups nowadays that have adopted the Dog Brothers mentality and training/sparring practices and I'd honestly recommend them over the more commercial and mainstream cane defense courses such as CaneMasters.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    The fact that these are illegal in a state that i can get a Concealed Carry license for a gun is just silly to me. Making non-lethal self-defense measures controlled is just dumb.
    My hypothesis is on the illegality of metal batons is that is has to due with the perceived versus actual lethality of the weapon. I would suspect that there are a lot of less-than-bright people out there who's idea of clubbing someone in the head with one of these means knocking them dizzy like in Loony Tunes, not leaving them with a bleeding crack in there skull. At least the level of lethality of a pistol or knife is generally understood.
    From what I understand, truncheons such as these only constitute non-lethal force when employed properly as such, (ie, such as striking to to the side of the leg). A blow to the head from one would be considered lethal force.

I don't necessarily agree with this sentiment, mind you, but that's my guess as to how it came about. Either that, or it's just a general societal distrust of weapons which can be easily folded up and put in your pocket.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:28pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    And that "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" nonsense is paranoid RBSD garbage and you know it.
    Concealed means concealed. Unless you're doing something that's going to put you in contact with the police in the first place then you can pretty much get away with carrying practically anything that you can conceal.

If you ever do use it to defend yourself legitimately you'll face some weapons charges at the worst and probably never see the inside of a cell assuming you don't have a criminal history or you don't go out of your way to put yourself in a "self defense" scenario.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    I carry canes, esp. when visiting cities (London, Rome, etc.) that have a real street violence problem. Have never had any "issues" other than feeling a bit self-conscious the first time out, but that goes away quickly because, basically, no-one gives you a second glance unless you're flourishing the damn thing like a weapon. I've taken canes on-board airplanes, etc. with no hassles at all. Bartitsu FTW!

Seconded re. the Unbreakable Umbrella. The state security team who protect Filipino VIPs swear by them.

There are plenty of groups nowadays that have adopted the Dog Brothers mentality and training/sparring practices and I'd honestly recommend them over the more commercial and mainstream cane defense courses such as CaneMasters.
    I still train with and occasionally carry a cane . My favorite cane got stolen a couple years back during the Christmas season , so umm , you may not want to shell out for a CaneMaster cane until you can keep up with one you bought from the Farmer's Supply store . Their videos are great for the LOL's but are occasionally useful , just not unique by any means .

I figure by the time my knee(s) implode and become useless I will have a carry everyday and everywhere weapon I can use with relative ease .

I have found great stuff from FMA , CMA , KMA , WMA , Savate , JMA , and others . But I have not found a school anywhere close to me that teaches any of it to a degree I would be comfortable with recommending .

None of the places local or even the "kinda local" places take weapons training to the ground or spar hard enough to really see what is going on and will/could happen .

Good luck and like others have said maybe try and use the empty hand guidelines when looking for weapon work , I think you should be ok .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:46pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, based on my understanding of the law, it's illegal to even OWN a collapsible baton in Canada, so scratch that. I'm not interested in actually breaking any laws.

Unbreakable umbrella, you say? Is that near-$200 price tag the norm?
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:55pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a concealed weapon carrier I'd like to point out that the more of a pain in the ass your weapon of choice is the less likely you are to keep it on you consistently. You'll form a habit of leaving it behind for little things like a quick run to the store and then you'll start leaving it behind all the time.

I suspect an unbreakable umbrella is going to get about a week worth of carry time at best before it's relegated to unbreakably sitting in the closet unless it actually rains.

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 7:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Over here you arent really allowed to carry everything. Things are getting really fucked up.

Just a couple of weeks ago a liqour store owner was attacked by four guys intent on robbing his shop.
    He was stabbed twice at the outset and then they took to trying to bludgeon him to death. He grabbed a hockey stick from behind the counter and wacked one of his attackers (the one with the knife as it happens).
    The knife man suffered "Bruising and swelling" from the blow. Nothing more.
    But what was the outcome?
    All of the offenders were arrested, only the one with the knife was charged. But what of our wounded store owner? When he got out of hospital he was charged with assault with a weapon.

Remember he had been stabbed twice and had four guys beating the **** out of him. He took a swing with a stick to defend himself and has now been charged with assault with a weapon.

The police said that using a stick to defend himself was "excessive force" for self defence. They said that what he should have done is called the police.

So he was supposed to somehow call the cops whilst being killed at the same time, then wait three hours for them to actually turn up.

Fucking stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 8:26pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    My hypothesis is on the illegality of metal batons is that is has to due with the perceived versus actual lethality of the weapon. I would suspect that there are a lot of less-than-bright people out there who's idea of clubbing someone in the head with one of these means knocking them dizzy like in Loony Tunes, not leaving them with a bleeding crack in there skull. At least the level of lethality of a pistol or knife is generally understood.
    You could be right, but it might be more simple than that. It might be because the state legislature has no incentive to correct this obvious absurdity. The interaction of laws is (in part) an accident of history - with self-serving bill piled upon self-serving bill. Legislators tend to act on bills that they think will help them politically. They get together and discuss possible bills, how the bill will help them and their party and which bills will have the biggest bang for the buck. Nobody is going to waste time with a bill that makes weapon regulation consistent, particularly when the needed bill would loosen regulations on a weapon and particularly when the legislature in question is in a blue state.

Needless bad press. Needless risk. Just a guess.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 9:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The laws are here also screwed:

any type of knife (pocketknife, butterfly, switchblade) with a blade length between 4 and 5 inches isn't even considerd a weapon and can be carried concealed, but when the blade is 5 inches and longer it's a weapon.
    So if I walk around with a butterfly knife with a blade of 4.9 inches I'm not breaking any law.

Personally I prefer the telescope batons, so I bought 2 short ones years ago ( about 4 inches in closed form and 12 inches fully rectrated ).
    One is always in my side/backpack when I go to work (in an easy access pouch), the other I carry in my pocket.
    Until now I have never had to use them, but I take my changes with these "illegal" weapons than carrying 2 "legal" knifes.

Luckely there aren't much firearms around, only the mob (Tjetchenen, Albaniers,etc..) have got them and for the most of us you don't make contact with those type of people.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast