Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 4:59pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dog Brothers follows the rule: Everyone must fight. Although, after some stance in FMA training, it's a great test for aliveness.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan
    Just a thought about stickfighting... You realise that it's applicable to, say, umbrellas and walking canes and whatnot, right?

Who, besides Toby, uses a walking cane? I mean, unless you're a pimp. In which case you shouldn't even have to use your pimp cane in such an undignified manner.

And if we're going to allow canes, then I'm going to use a damn sword cane, and suddenly foil fencing wasn't so dumb after all!

As for the umbrella fighting, I did that as a little kid and broke every damn umbrella I had (Though, I was trying to emulate Wong Fei Hong from some Jet Li movie). Unless you're willing to shell out some cash for a sturdy one, AND carry it around with you all the time (even when it isn't going to rain, which means you'll look like a total tool), I don't see either of those as plausible. Carrying a pocket knife, one that doesn't violate any state laws, is viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    (go epee)
    Well there's your problem right there!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't dog brothers sort of a tournament format for people who have already somehow learned to fight with weapons and want to try some of their **** out? Doesn't seem like the format for a novice like me.
    The Dog Brother's have classes. The gatherings, if I recall correctly, are just like a giant...well, gathering where people can throwdown with their weapons of choice. If you're really interested in the dog brother's and what not, pm Poidog, seeing as he knows firsthand, while I'm telling you what I've seen from instructional vids and youtube videos.

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 7:34pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    Dog Brothers?
    Keep in mind that the Dog Brothers are a VERY loose association of individuals, whom have tailored their individual styles to the rigors of the gathering, rather one unified style. When most people think of DMBA, they're probably thinking mostly of crafty's material, and of the way lonely executes it. They hailed for a whole lot of FMA styles, so there will be credible fighting from those sources as well (inosanto, pekiti, lameco, krabi krabong even though it's really thai). Unfortunately, you just have to see if the individual club does force on force drills and spars. Sayoc and Atienza also spar heavily(Atienza guys do very well in competition)

What complicates things is that there is no one set ratio for drilling to sparring that is preferable for weapons fighting. Some very different attributes may need to be cultivated, and a lot of time may be spent on cut-countercut drills and still produce excellent fighters, even though there is some space between sparring.

The most aggressive sparring-to-drill ratio of any weapons curricula is definately ARMA, absolutely no question. The Austin group is not very hardcore, and of the 3-hour sessions we do every week, the last hour is always dedicated to gearing up and sparring(or high-contact countercut drills in gear, for the newbs). I was full contact sparring by my second session.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 2:41am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who, besides Toby, uses a walking cane? I mean, unless you're a pimp. In which case you shouldn't even have to use your pimp cane in such an undignified manner.

And if we're going to allow canes, then I'm going to use a damn sword cane, and suddenly foil fencing wasn't so dumb after all!

As for the umbrella fighting, I did that as a little kid and broke every damn umbrella I had (Though, I was trying to emulate Wong Fei Hong from some Jet Li movie). Unless you're willing to shell out some cash for a sturdy one, AND carry it around with you all the time (even when it isn't going to rain, which means you'll look like a total tool), I don't see either of those as plausible. Carrying a pocket knife, one that doesn't violate any state laws, is viable.
    I must admit, if someone had a knife and I had an umbrella, my least concern would be if I broke it... And at least here in Sweden, canes are pretty common for elderly people.

Pocket knives (any knives, really) are illegal in public places. As would a sword-cane be.

I'm just saying FMA teaches you some skills with improvised weapons. Sparring usually starts full speed and right away.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 6:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

While technically illegal to carry, rectractable batons are easy to conceal.
    And you don't have to change your FMA training to apply them in a fight.
    If you are concearned about their illegality, remember that it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 3:33pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan
    If you are concearned about their illegality, remember that it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

I've always thought that a collapsible baton would be basically the perfect weapon to deal with a low-level self-defense scenario except for its illegality. Still, might be cool to look into it; where do you recommend ordering one?
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck with that. I bought a retractable baton in Shanghai, and it was confiscated at the airport. My swords and brass knuckles were A-OK, but the metal club had to go.
    And that "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" nonsense is paranoid RBSD garbage and you know it.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... when it comes to weapons such as knives, sticks or what have you, my concept of what constitutes a good style is much fuzzier. Can we discuss the Bullshido consensus on effective knife and stick styles, either purely defensive or armed combat?

My perception is that unlike unarmed styles, there is less consistency among schools of the same style. So whereas I could point someone to pretty much any Judo club and expect them to receive good instruction, there seem to be lots of examples of crappy schools even from "good" armed styles, like silat or FMA or Krav Maga. So what's the deal?

Invaluable: DOG BROTHER'S DIE LESS OFTEN vids. Must have on the subject.

When it comes to FMAs, Silat/Kuntao, & other practical weapon arts, you have to make sure they pressure test often, much like Dog Bros.

& from what I've seen, Krav Maga isn't all the good on the weapon defense front. Just don't like it. If you do Krav Maga, it's a MORAL IMPERATIVE that you supplement with the Die Less Often material.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    And that "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" nonsense is paranoid RBSD garbage and you know it.
    Agreed! While it's actually true, I've always found that with a little ingenuity, you can find a legal way around things. We've talked about it before: if you do sports, keep your glove, balls, & BAT in your car. If you're a mechanic or work construction, keep a large socket wrench or a roofing hammer in the car. A mechanic friend of mine always keeps a broken socket wrench with him.

You can ALWAYS have a cane with you, as well as an umbrella. There are no laws against them, & you can always say (for the cane) that a bad knee/sprained ankle was giving you trouble. There are TRULY good umbrellas, such as the UNBREAKABLE UMBRELLA. You want to increase your chances? Why would you possibly give a **** about people & what they think about you carrying a cane or an umbrella? Are THEY going to be there when you need help? Are THEY gonna step up and help you when trouble finds you, or will they cower like the pathetic little sheeple that they are, waiting their turn to be victimized?

You know the answer.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 10/26/2008 5:16pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always thought that a collapsible baton would be basically the perfect weapon to deal with a low-level self-defense scenario except for its illegality. Still, might be cool to look into it; where do you recommend ordering one?
    In Germany, they were legal to buy in what we would call "American depot stores", but it's a few years ago that I went into one, so I don't know how the law changed there.
    You should PM f4n4n to see if they are still legal in Germany and if they are, come to some arrangement with him or another German on this site to mailorder one (if it gets thru customs).

The "judged by 12..." quote has got nothing to do with RBSD bullshit, it's got to do with mentality to use an illegal weapon to defend yourself, because even if you are the victim in a fight, the police will wring your balls hard for carrying a concealed weapon.

Because that's something that I never understood here in Belgium, it's legal to carry several types of pocketknives (with blades longer than a Swiss Army Knife), but not a telescope b‚ton. While this type of weapon can easely be used without bloodshed.

*edit: some typos
    Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 10/26/2008 5:32pm at .

Posted On:
    10/26/2008 5:28pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan

The fact that these are illegal in a state that i can get a Concealed Carry license for a gun is just silly to me. Making non-lethal self-defense measures controlled is just dumb.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast