Posted On:
    6/14/2007 5:10pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone heard of DefenseOnDemand.com?

Nothing came up in Searching...

New Mixed Martial Arts Videos From DefenseOnDemand.com Allow Individuals To Easily Learn Self Defense Techniques Online

DefenseOnDemand.com, a premiere online learning source for self defense techniques, announces new Internet videos that focus specifically on Mixed Martial Arts training.

Lake Dallas, Texas (PRWEB) June 14, 2007 -- Grappling Source, Inc. (www.DefenseOnDemand.com) is proud to announce a new series of Internet instructional fight videos that concentrate specifically on martial arts and self defense techniques. DefenseOnDemand.com is an online self defense video database resource, a true distance learning experience, that is growing rapidly as more people become interested in learning Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) as a form of self defense. Now anyone worldwide can tap into this powerful website and gain expert fighting knowledge via downloadable Internet video media files sent directly to their computers.

"We always thought there would be a demand for fighting knowledge delivered as Internet video," says Daniel Gonzalez, a Black Belt in Machado Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing instructor, and former Federal Agent, now CEO and co-founder of DefenseOnDemand.com. "When we looked at it, we saw that nobody was providing quality fight knowledge or training with credible instructors over the Internet. We saw the opportunity and set out to reach that market."

The corporation designed a custom software platform that provides its global audience with instant access to over 22 hours of Internet video fight instruction, knowledge, and training action, taught by top experts. Partnering up with Vital Stream for its award-winning content delivery network, this learning solution provides unmatched global availability through strategically located data centers with high-performance connectivity using multiple Tier-1 backbones.

"We've got students from all over the world eating up this information because it's credible, expert instruction and the delivery technology makes it so affordable. Whether it be for self defense, competition, or training purposes, knowledge is power when it comes to learning reality based fighting skills, and these people know it. You should hear what they are telling us. We've got people from all walks of life logging in and learning to fight. Even the pros in Federal law enforcement and the military special ops guys are giving us the big thumbs up. There are instructors out there using this resource to plan lessons. It very gratifying."

When asked what was the one common problem DefenseOnDemand.com helps to solve, Gonzalez responded, "By using Internet video technology, DefenseOnDemand.com can teach anyone how to fight. Anyone can now easily learn how to defend themselves by learning MMA as a form of self defense."

A big reason why people never learn self defense is that traditional martial arts schools are expensive. Many tie customers into yearly contracts managed by collection services that can affect an individual's credit if they choose to quit. There can also be excessive fees for things like uniforms, testing fees, association fees, tournament fees and there is a risk of injury at the hands of people who may have no concern for safety precautions.

DefenseOnDemand.com is committed to providing top quality services through their unique online portal. Visitors can choose a program that fits their individual needs, and getting started can be a quick and easy process.

To learn more, visit www.DefenseOnDemand.com.
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/6/prweb532917.htm

Funny, without naming names, they take a shot at other internet 'self-defense' types.

So we have Carlos Machado, Daniel Gonzalez, Travis Lutter, Marcos Santos and Jake Hattan. Jake Hattan is apparently "MMA Instructor of the Year" which I didn't know existed, nor could I find anymore information.

Anyone heard of this before?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2007 5:29pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shouldn't that have been "I have now"?

That said...umm...doesn't the whole teaching-by-video kind of fly in the face of the idea of MMA? You know, pressure-tested and sparring and all that jazz O.o

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great Site - Great Material. Tons of knowledge. Tons of training videos.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ll3123
    Great Site - Great Material. Tons of knowledge. Tons of training videos.
    Are you an affiliate? User? Looks pretty basic to me. Cool thing though, the TV doesn't hit back.

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 10:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've taken privates with DC Gonzalez. He is an extremly bright and focused individual and I really like him; so I'm kinda biased.

When I trained with him, he was just developing the concept for web-based learning. It makes alot if sense to me, if people are going to by DVDs then why not use the next step in technology?

I've only had a cursory glance at the website&package as I have a MAC and have only occasional access to a PC. Its more interactive than a DVD as you can pick up a thread of techniques and routines.

I think one of Dan's points was to keep things basic since: that's what generally works anyhow, also he wanted it to be teachable thru the medium. So, like fancy helicopter sweeps an such were out.

This could well have changed, I haven't seen him in years, but I understand the niche market he's angled for and I don't think he's distorting things at all. Alot of his principles come from being a Navy flight instructor and he has actually worked with the Feds on a legit level.

That's about all I can speak to, I do have his email so perhaps I'll send him a note and let him know we're interested in hearing more.
    His bio is totally legit, so there isn't any question there.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem isn't the training. Web based training has been around before this. I think they called it Youtube back in the day... Serioursly, the main concern people have is the other aspects of training that is lacking. The concept of having an instructor correct you when you are wrong. Pressure testing your techniques. If you are using this to add to the instruction you already have then fantastic. If you are using this as a replacement for training, then poo poo to you. That is where the real problem comes in. Its the fact that the advertisement seems to be geared trying to get people who can't/don't want to go to learn from them.

It takes a Evan Tanner level of dedication to learn without proper guidance; most people don't have that.

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 12:52am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    I think they called it Youtube back in the day.
    so that's just condescending^ok?

YouTube doesn't have any particular regimin to select, its just you digging up whatever you can find, in no particular sequence.

Serioursly, the main concern people have is the other aspects of training that is lacking. The concept of having an instructor correct you when you are wrong.
    This I don't dsipute at all. One of my favorite examples is Japanese traditionalists getting pissed off about Ikebana (flower arrangment) training via VHS. How can you possibly relate such a particular, tactile, sensory et al artform thru a tape?

I've gone back to training with a crossfit group because there is just way too much to get wrong in Olympic lifting and so forth. Hell, I thought I had a good rowing stroke and I got advise on how to improve it that I would never have figured on my own.

If you are using this to add to the instruction you already have then fantastic. If you are using this as a replacement for training, then poo poo to you. That is where the real problem comes in. Its the fact that the advertisement seems to be geared trying to get people who can't/don't want to go to learn from them.

It takes a Evan Tanner level of dedication to learn without proper guidance; most people don't have that.
    Again, I agree here (especially re: Evan Tanner example) . I think it can make very good supplemental training but I can't see it being a complete substitute. I do see the niche that this is going after. There is similar work being done with the Machado Online program and then there are systems for other subjects besides fighting. I cannot really comment further because I just don't have enough depth of understanding or research with these systems.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 1:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't mind me, I'm in a good mood acting a fool on the interwebz. Recertified my CCNA, finally have that monkey off my back.

Most was jokes and most was stuff we already know.

I actually have experience with regards to learning from DVD while training and learning from DVD while not training. It's the "learning from these sources while training" factor that makes the information stick as well as useful. My experience is that using material such as this has helped in my BJJ during the time (currently) that I am training BJJ. When I wasn't training it and just watching videos and the interweb...nothing!

But again, my experience. Anyone else's differ?

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 1:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    When I wasn't training it and just watching videos and the interweb...nothing!

But again, my experience. Anyone else's differ?
    well, I'm watching Tom Cruise do back-flip double-kick KO's and doves are flying in slow-mo and the chick only has, like, half an hour before the virus kills her so WTF?

I think I can do that.

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast