226187 Bullies, 3937 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Is a one hour class enough time to learn a quality martial art?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, one hour is just fine.

21 30.00%
  • One hour isn't enough time to scratch myself properly, I need at least an hour and a half.

30 42.86%
  • Anything less than 2 hours is for posers.

16 22.86%
  • What's an hour?

3 4.29%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 2:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think there's anything wrong with training for an hour if it's a busy hour. Beats bullshitting around for 2 or more hours, that's for sure.

My BJJ class is only one hour. We spend about 10 minutes warming up, another 10-15 drilling techniques, and the remainder of the class rolling. Rounds are 5 minutes and class usually runs a little bit late. The advanced class (which I'm trying to work into my schedule) is a half hour longer and rolls for 10-minute rounds.

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 2:34pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine

Look at the BJ Penn example. I remember reading an article where BJ Penn stated that he would train two hour in the morning and two hours in the evening every day, 6 days a week (I think it was the forward in his book, it was posted on www.victorybelt.com when their website had a forum and whatnot). It took him three years to get his black belt. Now look at most people who train 1.5-2 hours about three times a week average. In order to get in the same amount of training hours going two hours per day, three days per week, you would need to train for twelve years.

It puts the concept of time into perspective. It also puts BJ's time to black belt into prospective as well. Not knocking it in any way. The fact is, many of us look at the road to BJJ black belt in terms of years. What if we should be looking at it in terms of "training hours"???
    You point is well made.. What I remember from friends in Pilot training, and in some skilled trades- is that not all hours are created equal. If you do the hours close together, then the hours are counted, but the months and years go by, it will take more hours to qualify. This is because you are not doing enough to retain the knowledge, let alone add to it.

If you train MA in one hour sessions, but put more of them in the week, you would see knowledge retention increase, as anything I learn when exhausted is quickly forgotten. 5 one-hour classes is better than 1 five- hour class.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2008 11:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have u ever tried a REAL nin-jitsu class guys? the stuff is no joke you learn to swing swords and throw throwing-stars around like crazy. I am a deadly weapon at 5-2 250lbs now and you wouldn't think it. I would say may dex has improved from 11 to 16 in just one class, we'll see how my other stats improve later beware fuckers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 12:51am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    If you train MA in one hour sessions, but put more of them in the week, you would see knowledge retention increase, as anything I learn when exhausted is quickly forgotten. 5 one-hour classes is better than 1 five- hour class.
    QFT

as for class length, Judo is two hours, with about 5 min after uchi komi to stretch. we definitely pace ourselves though during drills, as we are going to do tachi-waza and ne-waza at the end. wrestling is 1.5 hours, and we have a killer warm up and we try to push the pace during drills, with about 15 minutes of live situational at the end. back in the day, TKD was 1.5 as well and it never felt like we had enough time, but thats because unless i was running class we did forms for too long.

an hour fifteen to an hour thirty is ideal i think, with the warm up being as much technique based as possible, with at least 15 live sparring/situational at the end. that way you can slow down slightly during the drill/technique portion to make sure you get it right and not sacrifice your workout

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/29/2008 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it also depends on the skills you're working on. An hour is enough time to work on some specific skill, for example attacking the hand in weapon work.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234