233238 Bullies, 3717 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Is a one hour class enough time to learn a quality martial art?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, one hour is just fine.

21 30.00%
  • One hour isn't enough time to scratch myself properly, I need at least an hour and a half.

30 42.86%
  • Anything less than 2 hours is for posers.

16 22.86%
  • What's an hour?

3 4.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 11:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't even think an hour and a half is really long enough. I prefer at least two hours.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 11:04pm

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Muay Thai class is designed for self-defene as far as I'm concerned, and despite that your average person will feel like fainting or a heart attack.

To me it comes nowhere near Highschool Wrestling conditioning on a good day.

So I voted for the "Anything less than two hours is for posers" option. **** yeah, I always take the Muay Thai Class and the BJJ class.

When we had a new BJJ purple belt for an instructor I hated it...now I love it. The guy's really nice, it's just that 1 hour wasn't enough with all the **** he was adding.

The best part is that we've come so far as to do 30-45 crunches, triangles, and side crunches with 3 1:00-1:30 planks between them.

If I went to Extreme Couture I'd live in that Gym so long as they allowed me, assuming I didn't do Pro Training.

My ideal class would be:

15 min cardio or bodyweight exercises to warm up

25 min stretching with advanced Yoga or Contortion

1 hour pad/mitt work

15 min abs

45 min Wrestling sprawl, shoot, and changing levels with push ups

30 min kettlebells

1:30 hour BJJ- 50 min technique and the rest rolling.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much all the training I've had for the majority of my training has been 1 hour of class and then however much time I spend doing stuff on my own, sparring, hitting the bag, etc. Do you know how I totally honestly learned most of my technique? Watching fights. I've actually learned far more from watching fights and then trying to alter my technique based on what I see the fighters doing that seems to work, then testing it in sparring of course.

I'm not a grappler so I won't comment there, but as far as striking goes the most you can really learn from a class is the very basics so it's not really necessary to do a class for 2 hours. These days I do go to 2 hours of class Monday-Wednesday, though this is primarily so I can get a longer workout (1 hour of class doesn't generally feel like much of a workout to me and I'm too much of a slacker to really bust ass on my own as far as physical fitness type stuff goes).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 11:38pm

Style: Yoshi orc + Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An hour and a half is just right for me. I can get enough ass busting done to tire me out if that's what we're doing that night. If it's learning techniques I can absorb well for about ninety minutes before I use up all my braincells and start wandering off mentally.

But I've trained under a lot of senseis and they all knew more than I did. So I just show up and do what I'm told.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 11:57pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend always talks about the good ol' days when his teacher had the class doing 3hour long classes... before they started sparring. I have to admit I am jealous. All weather out in a park.

I think I have heard somewhere that 1 hour training sessions are optimal... or max for some reason... I can't figure out why though. Anyone have any real info on the health aspect of training for more than an hour?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 12:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does that 1hr include a warm-up? I think if the warm up is bypassed completely or done on your own time prior to the class then yes 1hr of technique is fine. Application and drilling is another story though, this is why I feel that 90 minutes to 2hrs is the ideal. Both the technique/application (drilling/sparring) go hand in hand and I don't think either one should be overlooked over the other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 2:22am

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An hour's fine as long as you're not trying to cover strength and conditioning too. For a BJJ class, a quick warmup, drills, and rolling fits fine in that time frame as long as you don't spend too much time socializing. Obviously it won't work if you're trying to train fighters, but I get the impression your focus is more casual.

For striking I think it'd be better to have two separate one-hour classes...one for technique, mitt work, bag work, drills, and maybe a little light sparring, and then the other class strictly for more serious sparring. So if you did 4 classes a week or something, you'd have maybe 3 of the former and 1 of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by tharuz
    My ideal class would be:

15 min cardio or bodyweight exercises to warm up

25 min stretching with advanced Yoga or Contortion

1 hour pad/mitt work

15 min abs

45 min Wrestling sprawl, shoot, and changing levels with push ups

30 min kettlebells

1:30 hour BJJ- 50 min technique and the rest rolling.
    Give me a fucking break. Over 4 and a half hours? Have you ever even worked out before? My MMA class is 1 and a half hours, and everyone leaves drop-dead tired.
    Last edited by Happy Panda; 10/25/2008 12:28pm at .

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 2:45am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lolz...for a happy panda you dont seem too happy.

I was beginning to think my post was stupid.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 5:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i prefer 2 hours usually.

20-30 mins warm up, 1 hour technical, 30 mins sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 6:13am

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my experience, one hour is not enough, even with more frequent classes, as there's barely enough time to learn anything. By the time I'm fully warmed up and ready to learn the class is already over. Unless, of course, the classes are balls to the wall intense, but I'm not certain how common that is, and even if they were they should be at least three times a week.

On the other hand, at least for fatasses like me, two and a half hours of balls mostly to the wall intense is a bit much. Hell, sometimes even the higher belts look like someone hit them with a truck, and on those days I'm just zombing through the kihon and kumite trying not to die. Of course, these classes only happen twice a week, at least for me, which isn't really satisfying. At all.

My ideal would be intense two hour classes three times a week, hard enough to push me past my limits without going quite so Gurren Lagann on my ass and kicking my limits to the curb then pulling an American History X on them.

Or, in short, no, one hour is not sufficient to learn quality martial arts. Hell, one hour wasn't even sufficient for me to learn shitty kata based martial arts, and anything less than an hour is just a ploy to steal your money, or specifically designed to keep the attention of small children. Either way, it's not conducive to learning how to fight worth half a damn.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast