224882 Bullies, 3227 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Is a one hour class enough time to learn a quality martial art?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, one hour is just fine.

21 30.00%
  • One hour isn't enough time to scratch myself properly, I need at least an hour and a half.

30 42.86%
  • Anything less than 2 hours is for posers.

16 22.86%
  • What's an hour?

3 4.29%
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 7:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can you learn quality MA in a one hour class?

I've been reading a book recently on running a martial arts school, and it has brought up a question: is it possible to teach a quality martial art in a one hour class? I am specifically interested in adult classes here - obviously, kids classes are fine at an hour. But for an adult class - is one hour, say twice a week, enough time to warm up, learn some techniques, roll or spar, or whatever? My Muay Thai and grappling instructors are constantly bitching that their one and a half hour classes aren't long enough- they'd prefer two hours. On the other hand, the local Extreme Couture gym is mostly 60 minute classes.

So, I am putting this out to the Bullshido community for consensus: is a one hour class sufficient time to properly learn a martial art?

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 8:08pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like many things, it depends on the goal.

One hour is fine for your average hobbyist, beginner and local competition hopefuls.

If you are going to compete at an advanced division or pro, you need a lot more. But then I hope you already knew the second part.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 8:15pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One-hour classes can also fall into a couple of different training schedules. For instance, I might go to my gym for two or three one-hour classes a week. What I actually tend to do is go three times a week, but go to two one-hour classes running back to back. It's still not the same as a single two-hour class (the structure is obviously different), but the total amount of [warm-up plus] training is the same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 8:40pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One hour just isn't enough for me unless it's a balls to the walls randori marathon class. Otherwise I want to have time to do some warmup and drills, hopefully learn something new, then do some randori. You can't really do that in one hour and maintain decent quality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 8:49pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion, if you want to do any sparring you need more than just an hour a class. For beginners, an hour would be fine just to go over a few techniques, but it's not enough if you add in rolling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 8:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to agree with Askari. My ideal MA schedule would be 1 hr sessions 2-3 days a week with a longer one on Saturdays, seeing as that would work well with my workout schedule. Alas, the McDojos in my small suburbian town shut down on the weekends like everything else. Except the bars.

Maybe I should just spend my Satudays sparring at the local pub...

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 10:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your definition of "a quality martial art"?

Tied in with the above, what are you going to be using your MA for: sport (hobby or pro), exercise, personal defense, training for LEO or other occupations where use-of-force is part of the job? Answers to the survey may well depend on those and other variables.

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 10:43pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.5 really should be the minimum. The classes at my school are only an hour and it always feels way too cramped and a warm up isn't included in that. If you devote 20 mins to sparring thats only 5 rounds of padwork each if you have your class holding pads for eachother... nowhere near enough.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 10:53pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where I go. we normally have shorter classes (45 minutes or an hour) but back to back as part of a defined sequence. One hour classes by themselves can work for me, but I normally warm up for 10-15 minutes before class. By itself, that would be pushing it.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends. Take BJJ for example. If you do a pretty balls to the wall 15-20 minute warmup. Do some basic techniques for 15-20, maybe 2-3 techniques that flow well together, 10 minutes of situational drilling (for that particular technique) and 10 minutes of some good training (i.e spar for 2.5 minutes and immediately to the next partner for a total of 4 rounds) and you could fit something it. It actually sounds like a great idea.

Just like children, adults can be attention deficit as well. Anything more than an hour for some adults (especially if they have kids or work issues that are constantly on their mind) causes them to space. You are basically doing for them the same thing you are doing for the children, keeping their mind occupied and providing some good training. Are they going to get as much out of it as the person who does it for 1.5 to 2 hours each session...no.

Look at the BJ Penn example. I remember reading an article where BJ Penn stated that he would train two hour in the morning and two hours in the evening every day, 6 days a week (I think it was the forward in his book, it was posted on www.victorybelt.com when their website had a forum and whatnot). It took him three years to get his black belt. Now look at most people who train 1.5-2 hours about three times a week average. In order to get in the same amount of training hours going two hours per day, three days per week, you would need to train for twelve years.

It puts the concept of time into perspective. It also puts BJ's time to black belt into prospective as well. Not knocking it in any way. The fact is, many of us look at the road to BJJ black belt in terms of years. What if we should be looking at it in terms of "training hours"???
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast