Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 4:46pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    off the top of my head, the lapel grip@the back of the neck, "tag-grip": from a good grip for throws to ground work and chokes subs, it was very A-Ha for me.
    That grip always scares me, armbar-wise. Probably because we've got some lightweight acrobats at Alliance who make me pay if I linger there a moment too long, even during standup.

Leaving aside all the usual 'O, you have to roll more sideways for this sweep' and 'the hook goes here' kind of stuff, I've got a weird one. Taken from Tanabe Mataemon (the Fusen Ryu guy whose bad assery convinced the early judoka to get right with newaza):

I had studied 'eel osaekata' (鰻の抑え方) and 'the snake eats the frog' (蛇の蛙をくわえる). The eel can quickly slip away, even when quickly pressed down by the crane. The snake doesn’t eat the frog in a single gulp, but takes a single leg, then both, then the body, and slowly and inevitably swallows the entire frog. No matter what the frog does, it certainly cannot escape. In winning or losing in judo, eel osaekata and snake frog-eating are very important.
    ... the imagery of the snake eating the frog -- bizarrely -- gave me an a-ha moment that improved my 'crushing' guard passes in BJJ.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj / kempo jujitsu / mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    probably the biggest "ah ha moment" I've had was after watching one of saulo rebieros instructionals when I changed my focus from worrying about dominant hand position to being more focused on my hip position. seriously improved my game 1000%

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 6:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jackrusher, its why I love ankle locks as an option, "here's my wrist; ok, here's my ankle!" :-)

Though I haven't tried at a high-enough level to say I'm dominant with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 8:37pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -Couldn't finish the armbar. Coach said to move the fulcrum (my forearm) to my opponents wrist.
    -"Why am I not submitting him with the anaconda?"
    "is your forearm under his chin?"
    "ah, right"
    -When learning harai-goshi, my instructor tells me to pretend I'm having breakfast. Hand on lapel bends inwards so I can drink my coffee, while I "check the time" on the other hand.
    - Opponent keeps moving as I try to step over for triangle escape. I was then shown to buy breathing time by shoving my elbow down, taking combat base, and when I get perpendicular to their body grab his neck to stop him from moving...ok, maybe that was too much to be considered an "ah ha" moment.

I'm getting into the habit of baiting my buddies to take the triangle because I prefer the position I end up in after the escape to the guard I'm having trouble passing. I'm sure this will come back and bite me in the ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 2:32pm

Style: shotokai/bjj/MT/ex-BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as a bj newb i get an "ahh ha!" moment once every 3 weeks. My latest is there are many guards for many things..I am currently in love with spider guard, where as a few weekis ago i thought it was pointless

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:27pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoshthereturn
    as a bj newb i get an "ahh ha!" moment once every 3 weeks. My latest is there are many guards for many things..I am currently in love with spider guard, where as a few weekis ago i thought it was pointless
    Greetings test subject. Please go read the sticky I wrote in this forum. You know what, I'll quote the relevant parts to you right here:
    This forum is heavily moderated because it's purpose is to serve as an information resource for intermediate and advanced grapplers.

Therefore, let it be known that general comments like, "I'm just a beginner in grappling, but I too find the spider guard useful, Chuck." will not be tolerated as they are of no value to knowledgeable grapplers.
    So tell me, mrgoshthereturn, do you think your post belongs in this forum?
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 2:08am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may seem a bit simplistic, but it was something I picked up from two purple belts who told it to me and then one day it clicked. Anytime I get taken down or I end up on bottom, I always try to make my opponent/partner's head end up on the same side of my body as their body. This way I can't be flattened out or I can take the back or go for something like a belly down armbar, etc. That this, rather than holding on to a guillotine while under side, is part of what guys like Demian Maia mean when they say "maintain head control".

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 2:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    keep them to the side. Its the same principle for tripping/sweeping from standing: you're breaking them to one side and sweeping out that side.

I always like these connections. There's the guard sweep where you reach over the top dude's shoulder and grab the belt/back. First time I was shown this I said, Kharbarelli grip! Cool."

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 10:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually think I'm too fucking thick-headed to have ah-hah moments. Or something like that. My BJJ progression just seems like a whole lot of fucking hard work, and trying to gain a little bit of ground every day. Over time some things seem easier, and I can pull of things better and better, but the "ah-hah" stuff doesn't seem to happen for me. I just seem to add one piece to the puzzle to make a small improvement a lot.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    I actually think I'm too fucking thick-headed to have ah-hah moments. Or something like that. My BJJ progression just seems like a whole lot of fucking hard work, and trying to gain a little bit of ground every day. Over time some things seem easier, and I can pull of things better and better, but the "ah-hah" stuff doesn't seem to happen for me. I just seem to add one piece to the puzzle to make a small improvement a lot.

I'm in the same camp as Chingy-Thingy. Grappling has not come easily to me as a learning experience, not nearly to the degree that striking did.

I have ah-ha moments often when drilling and an instructor is explaining things to me, but it often seems like my brain has a time-release filter. It will be several weeks before this thing the instructor explains to me appears for me when I roll.

A perfect example was a day we spent drilling the transition from Arm-bar to omoplata. Now, I've pulled off arm-bars while rolling but never an omoplata. This lesson was nearly two months and one month I had to take off for surgery ago.

Yesterday, I pulled it off while rolling. He pulled away from me but left his arms straightened. I was on the bottom and reached with my legs a bit to get the arm-bar but I didn't control him as well as I should have. He rolled into a half-assed turtle and then went to his stomach and tried to pull the arm out of my grip. My reptile brain grunted at me and I transitioned to the omoplata.

That was a certain ah-ha moment.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast