Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello from a newbie in pain

There's nothing like getting worked over and feeling happy about it when you get home... not to my knowledge anyway. I enjoyed my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class yesterday evening and I've been aching and wired ever since. I can't wait to go again tomorrow and sign up.... although I think my muscles will give out right away ;) Despite trying to pace myself in the warm up I was still over ambitious and about 30 minutes in I had to sit off to the side for about 20 minutes due to nausea and an intense tingling sensation (much like having a limb fall asleep) throughout my body. I'm not sure what the tingling **** was but it wasn't pleasant. I find that I tend to push myself too hard in what ever I do and it's something that I'm hoping training will teach me to manage and predict better. When I was in grade school I was a bean pole and gave up too quickly on a lot of physical activities but over the years (I'm 28 now) I've built up some muscle and weight and I think I push myself too hard out of spite for my previous ways.

My only previous MA experience is a handful of random karate classes when in the late 80's and a one year stint of Bujinkan Ninjitsu from 1990 to 1991. Aside from that I was in a few street fights during my late teens... also known as my reckless stupidity age.

As far as current exercise, I cycle to a desk job most days (approx. 40 mins each way) and try to play paintball at least once every month. I'm hoping that the conditioning and interval type cardio that I get from BJJ will help me in paintball. However, that is not the reason I joined. I've been wanting to get involved in MA again for a long time for self-defense and fitness but also to train from a matured and committed perspective.

I've recently gained some interest in MMA due to a friend of mine who's been going to a club in a different city for a few months. After learning some more about what's out there and watching some UFC, Pride, and EXC matches and decided to finally get off my ass look into joining a club.

The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Fight Club in Calgary Alberta (http://www.bjjfightclub.com/ ) recent moved to my area of the city and I decided to check it out and take the free class. For those interested, the site is a little bit out of date aside from the address. The instructor now has a brown belt and the hours are slightly different... among other things.I'm very impressed with the facilities and the people I met. There is a lot of respect, friendliness, and encouragement. I'm really looking forward to training there.

** Edit: fixed some spelling errors that I missed

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, tadams. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, tadams. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rather than starting another thread I'm going to follow up my intro with a question.

Tuesday was my first BJJ class and the instructor does a heavy conditioning warm up session to start off. Today is Thursday and my muscles are screaming in pain from such and intense workout after a lack of prior physical activity. I talked to the instructor on Tuesday about training frequency and he said that at least three days a week is recommended so that you stay conditioned and don't end up hurting a lot every time you go in (IE hard session, pain, wait 5 days, hard session, pain again etc). So my question is this: Since it was my first time and considering that I'm stiff and sore, should I back today (Thursday) as originally planned or hold off until Friday or Saturday and increase my training frequency over the next two to three weeks?
    Also, is there any harm or alternatively a lack of benefit from forcing myself through a second session this early in training?

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should go again tonight, and make sure you drink plenty of water before and after, and eat a lot of protein, fruits/berries, and yogurt after class and the next day. Stretch after class and the next morning, and continue to hydrate.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, go again for sure, just don't push yourself so hard that you get injured. Nobody is going to judge you if you have to sit out a lot on your second class, and it'll be much easier on your third, fourth, fifth, etc classes if you stay committed. Sleep and diet are important too, listen to 1point2, or look around the fitness forums here and read up on the nuitrition based stuff.

good luck! :)

Style
    Judo Sandbagger
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome tadams

You're in Alberta, so you played hockey. When you were a kid, first time out on the frozen pond in late summer, 5 hours can pass and you will go home and sleep it off. At your age now - 5 hours on the ice would almost kill you. and you would be sore for days.

1point2 makes sense about stretching. Also make sure that you are warm before you go, and don't roll hard untill you are. Once warm you can abuse your body more and suffer less.

Style
    Crazy bendy shit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to get a tingly sensation like what OP is talking about if I didn't stretch enough, and my joint suddenly fully extended, like after donig a snap kick, or rolling into a kneebar.

Style
    SAMBO, jiu jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tadams
    Rather than starting another thread I'm going to follow up my intro with a question.

Tuesday was my first BJJ class and the instructor does a heavy conditioning warm up session to start off. Today is Thursday and my muscles are screaming in pain from such and intense workout after a lack of prior physical activity. I talked to the instructor on Tuesday about training frequency and he said that at least three days a week is recommended so that you stay conditioned and don't end up hurting a lot every time you go in (IE hard session, pain, wait 5 days, hard session, pain again etc). So my question is this: Since it was my first time and considering that I'm stiff and sore, should I back today (Thursday) as originally planned or hold off until Friday or Saturday and increase my training frequency over the next two to three weeks?
    Also, is there any harm or alternatively a lack of benefit from forcing myself through a second session this early in training?

First off, welcome and good deal on getting two bots to reply!

Second, go tonight but go easy. If you feel an injury coming on, hold back a little. I like to think I'm fairly fit but doing new activities stresses parts of the body neglected in common workouts. I just started at a new school and I've been hecka sore after each class but the pain is subsiding a bit. On off days stretch and slowly go over drills and whatnot. As long as you and I keep it up, we'll get in shape quickstyle.

Let us know how it goes over the next few weeks!

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, thanks for everyones encouraging posts.
    I haven't updated on progress for a few days. I did return to class on Thursday and had a great time. Lots of pain but the muscle aches were less than the first session. A heavy guy came down on me a little hard though and ended up bruising one of my ribs :( VERY VERY PAINFUL. I waited until Monday (yesterday) to go back and train. I was feeling pretty good on Monday morning and I stayed away from the sparring but the exercise and what not aggravated the rib and surrounding muscle a lot. I really don't want to take rest time this early in my training but I may not have much choice.

Any advice on dealing with bruised ribs and strained muscles around the rib?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last