Posted On:
    10/23/2008 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bartitsu featured in "the Chap" magazine

http://www.thechap.net/content/secti...est-issue.html

"WHAT IS THE CHAP? The Chap takes a wry look at the modern world through the steamed-up monocle of a more refined age, occasionally getting its sock suspenders into a twist at the unspeakable vulgarity of the twenty-first century. Since 1999, the Chap has been championing the rights of that increasingly marginalised and discredited species of Englishman - the gentleman. The Chap believes that a society without courteous behaviour and proper headwear is a society on the brink of moral and sartorial collapse, and it seeks to reinstate such outmoded but indispensable gestures as hat doffing, giving up one's seat to a lady and regularly using a trouser press.

"All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas." E.M. Forster
    The cover story, no less! Jolly good show!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 9:25am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love bartitsu. Fortunately, I live in a sufficiently cold climate to justify wearing a large tweed deerstalker to throw over an assailant's head, but am having a little trouble finding a walking stick that a) doesn't make me look like an affected ponce who deserves a good kicking; or b) an easily-muggable cripple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 9:36am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glf
    I love bartitsu. Fortunately, I live in a sufficiently cold climate to justify wearing a large tweed deerstalker to throw over an assailant's head, but am having a little trouble finding a walking stick that a) doesn't make me look like an affected ponce who deserves a good kicking; or b) an easily-muggable cripple.
    Don't you see? Looking like a cripple is a point. That way your enemies will underestimate you.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 9:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glf

The official Bartitsu walking stick was a solid silver ball on the end of a 3.5 ' rattan cane. The affected ponce above was Pierre Vigny, stick fighting, boxing and savate instructor at the Bartitsu Club.

Vigny loved it when people tried to give him a good kicking. He used to train by picking fights in some of the rougher quarters of Paris and London.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great picture, I can see how that outfit would be an effective provocation in virtually all of the world's rougher neighborhoods. I can also see how the silver handle would be formidable at delivering debilitating blows, but didn't Barton-Wright sometimes use a crooked can for tripping people up, pulling them off-balance, etc.? (or am I misremembering?)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 10:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Basically, E.W. Barton-Wright folded Vigny's stick fighting system into Bartitsu, including both striking and tripping/grappling techniques with a wide range of canes, umbrellas etc.

The tripping techniques (also "hooking" the bad guy around the neck with the crook-handle) seems to have been especially used by female Bartitsu students. There are some great old pictures of dainty Victorian ladies jabbing ruffians in the neck with their parasols.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 10:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's just great, thanks. I'm sure the search function would tell me this if I could be bothered to use it - but are there any Bartitsu clubs in the US?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 10:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very few ongoing courses anywhere at this stage, but there are semi-regular seminar intensives offered at various Western martial arts conferences. Best way to keep track is to join the Bartitsu Forum - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bartitsu_Forum/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 10:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, will do. Thanks for the info :new_smile

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs