Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long time listener . . . first time caller :)

Hey guys . . . I figured I'd post here just to say hi finally and introduce myself. I've lurked on Bullshido for . . . well . . . ages!!! I've never posted because I do have better things to do a lot of the time, but I got bored so I decided to finally say hi!

My background: 23 years (and still going) in Kempo (Shaolin Kempo and American Kenpo - Ed Parker) - those are my styles. I also have experience training in Tae Kwon Do (don't ask!), Hapkido, Judo, Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu, BJJ, Thai Boxing, Goju Ryu, Tai Chi, Jeet Kune Do and played around with some Kali/Arnis (not very good at it!). probably missed a few arts, but you get the idea.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and while I probably won't be posting too much, feel free to send me messages especially if they are concerned with traditional martial arts, kenpo/kempo, and real self-defense.

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Shaolindelt... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindelt
    My background: 23 years (and still going) in Kempo (Shaolin Kempo and American Kenpo - Ed Parker) - those are my styles. I also have experience training in Tae Kwon Do (don't ask!), Hapkido, Judo, Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu, BJJ, Thai Boxing, Goju Ryu, Tai Chi, Jeet Kune Do and played around with some Kali/Arnis (not very good at it!). probably missed a few arts, but you get the idea.
    Sounds like you've got lots of dojo reviews to fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindelt
    Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and while I probably won't be posting too much, feel free to send me messages especially if they are concerned with traditional martial arts, kenpo/kempo, and real self-defense.
    The problem with this plan is that you won't be able to reply to their messages until you've reached a certain threshold of posts.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Sounds like you've got lots of dojo reviews to fill in.

The problem with this plan is that you won't be able to reply to their messages until you've reached a certain threshold of posts.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    Well ****! So much for that idea . . . didn't know that about this place. Well, I guess I'll have to make some reviews and such . . . :p I was trying to make sure I didn't get active in another online forum . . . I've got a life, really . . . I do . . . somewhere . . .

Style
    Crazy bendy shit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We cant message you either :'(

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyduh
    We cant message you either :'(
    Well . . . maybe that saves me from the trolls . . . :D When does that limit drop off?

Style
    Crazy bendy shit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhhh.. I don't really know if it's by posts or time... It dropped off after about a month for me. You get an avatar after 1000 posts apparently. I'm sure most people have some sort of contact info (e-mail?) in their profiles.

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You knock Taekwondo but brag about Shaolin Kempo?

Fascinating...

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    You knock Taekwondo but brag about Shaolin Kempo?

Fascinating...
    LOL - I was waiting for that :) I will say, I was extremely lucky. At the time I began training (in Shaolin Kempo), I was 7 and frankly, my parents were doing the right thing and found an instructor they felt comfortable with and a school that was positive and a good, friendly group of people.

For years, I considered what I was learning to be high-level and effective . . . especially compared to some of the things I was finding out there (in the TKD/Hapkido world). I got the chance to branch out in my personal training at 14, and really got into other arts as well when I got my black belt at 16. I still held a similar opinion of Shaolin Kempo - it was better than most anything else I was finding out there, and what it wasn't better than, it was on par with.

Then, I moved to Utah and got the chance to continue my training at another Shaolin Kempo school (United Studios of Self-Defense). It was at that point that I realized a ton, but the most important thing was that Shaolin Kempo was, as a whole, filled with poor instructors and sub-par students. I got my black belt in about 8 years of training . . . about 2 years behind most other students at my school because I was coming in through the kid's program until I was 12. I was the second youngest BB from our school - we didn't have junior ranks.

With over 11 years of training, I walked into a school to be greeted by the instructor, a kid (I was 18, he was 23) who had been training 6 years, had a 2nd or 3rd degree Black Belt and ran his own school. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but left the school after 6 months because they were teaching me nothing (instead, I ended up helping teach them!!). I figured it was a bad SKK school . . . or maybe it was just USSD as a whole.

Over time, I came to realize that SKK has some flakes . . . a lot of them actually. I was fortunate to find a school that kept it based in reality and didn't hand out ranks. My black belt test was nearly 8 hours and outside of my first marathon, the toughest physical endeavor I've had to endure. My trust in my own training has been verified by other martial artists that I've gotten the fortune to train with. Solid basics, good conditioning and a technical understanding of what makes things work. It does exist in SKK . . . it's just hard to find. It did however solidify my idea of the value of the school being in the instructor, not necessarily the style. (I have found a TKD instructor that was an amazing martial artist and very skilled. Unfortunately, I didn't get my shodan in TKD from him . . . wish I would have!)

Style
    Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyduh
    You get an avatar after 1000 posts apparently.
    Is this true?

I thought you had to pay for the avatar.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last