Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 6:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Escrima, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thoughts on Escrima strength training.

Hello, this is my first non-newbie board post. I don't have alot of experience ever learning Escrima in a formal school. My experience has always been with instructors one on one or for a few years with another student at or above my experience.
    Kabaroan escrima starting off can be difficult if you're used to training specifically with regular rattan sticks. They use longer and thicker sticks, not of rattan but maple and oak. So, to build strength for the techniques we would do grinds. This strength training was put on me for three years before 'every' practice. This system of Kabaroan is heavily incorporated with Wing-Chun. So, the training regime goes as follows.

x300 Long-stick grinds (Holding the stick out in front of you, guard hand up and spinning the stick a single time out in front of you in a slow controlled manner, focusing on the isometric portion of the movement)

x300 Reverse stick grinds (Same thing as above but reverse)

x300 Open hand Grinds (Keeping the palm flat-face up and then flicking the wrist 'down' and then out as though chopping towards your opponent. Elbows and arm were stationary.)

x300 Open Hand Reverse grinds (Same thing as above but reversed)

x300 Fist grinds (Clenched fist, palms of hands facing each other, stationary elbows.. I can only describe this as scooping cereal out of a bowel towards you and then flicking it away.)

x300 Reverse fist grinds (Same as above, but reversed)

x300 Palm outward fist clenches (Open and closing your hands as fast as you can with palms facing out.)

x300 Fist clenches, palms facing downward (Same thing.. palms are facing down.)

So, the question is, has anyone had to train like this in their system of Escrima? Was my old Guro being a little too intense or is this the norm? I developed a really bad achey left wrist for about 6-months after me and him had a huge fallout. I worked throughout it, but haven't decided if I wanted too pick this type of wrist and grip training again.

What do you people think?

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 12:35pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your power workout seems to focus almsot exclusively on the wrists and whipping motion, with almost no Core motion.

This seems odd to me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 12:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would add that hardwood sticks are a recipe for tennis elbow big time if you are doing stick to stick drills.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 4:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Escrima, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the large stick we would do forms, for Sinawali's we would use shorter rattan sticks to meet stick on stick. Kabaroan long stick forms almost boarder-line on fencing until you hold the large stick with two hands to do stick on stick drills. (*Shoulder length apart grip of-course.*)

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 6:50pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say that oak is a terrible wood for using any power and making contact. It's brittle as hell, even though it feels solid.

Powerful hits rely on good core mechanics more than muscles. Just do a shitload of stick-swinging reps and you'll hit harder than someone who spend most of their time doing stationary exercises. Watch power hitters in baseball to see how they bring their hips and core muscles into play to generate power.

Posted On:
    1/15/2009 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a Hammer-based workout that is drawn largely from movements in FMA, currently Kenny Florian and a few other pro fighters use this as their shoulder rehab/grip workout. I just bought the hammers and will be doing this workout as an FMA warmup 2-3 times a week, once in an interval format(ie- really goddamn fast with some breaks)

YouTube - Burn with Kearns: Basement Tapes PT. 1

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little log thing. I'm primarily looking at this routine as a way of increasing my forearm strength and shoulder flexibility in my non-dominant hand. I do a lot of technique practice with very high reptititions with my dominant hand, and it shows. My left hand is incredibly clumsy in comparison, and when doing Kettlebell excercises I find that my right-side max reps will be 3 or 4 times that of my left.

That's pretty retarded.

So I'm going to be introducing a high-rep doublestick day, a high rep left-hand day, and this routine into my process of getting back into pekiti class, and see if the forearm and shoulder workout starts producing technique results.

Day 1. Did the whole routine, 20-30 reps at each stage straight through as in the video. The burning in my left forearm throughout the workout is noticeably more intense than my right side. The roof block excercise in particular produced a lot of random popping and stretching in my shoulders. It definitely felt like i was pressing it through a slightly strange range of motion.

By the end the arms were definitely burning on both sides.

Finished with a tabata set of empty-hand slaps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 12:06pm

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Partisan, your workout sounds familiar. It's a lot like other wrist exercises. But I think you might have overdone it, and its probably because of the heavy sticks. Wrist rotation exercises shouldn't be damaging unless you do crazy with them and overdo them. Defining overdoing an exercise is a bit tricky, because people differ with how they can tolerate stress on joints.

Heavy sticks can do a lot of damage, especially for beginners. Early in my FMA training, a bunch of us decided to try steel pipes, first with solo striking and later on tires. I got tendonitis and it kept me from training for months. Now I spend more time warming up properly and choose my sticks well. I never go to my heavy sticks early in the class, always towards the end and only of I'm working on something that requires a heavy sticks.
    Last edited by Flipper; 1/16/2009 12:19pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 2:27am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work with a sledgehammer and a kettlebell for weapon strength training. It works pretty well for me.

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 8:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What excercises with both do you hit most often?
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast