Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grappling classes with weightlifting/Crossfit

Before I ask any questions, I's like to attempt to purge my reputation as a starry-eyed, arrogant teenager. Ahem...

I have been an absolute **** to you all. I have sporadically posted on this forum for a few years, and only now have I come to the point where I realise the humbling truth that I suck at fighting, am still yet to become really humble in my life in general, and need a good healthy shot of getting punched, slammed, tapped and gassed for hundreds of hours to make something of myself, as opposed to trying to "punk" some random TMA school which more often than not are actually run by decent people. My conditioning is poor, as is my upper-body strength, pain tolerance and ability to think clearly when someone is pulling my arm behind my head and squashing my face into the mat. I also lied once four years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by angry welshman
    I have had a few street altercations, but nothing got too out of hand. I have done a lot of full-contact training, unarmed and with arnis sticks. I've been in training situations where I'm made to fight multiple opponents after being exhausted with very demanding exercises.

I suppose you would question my experience since I am a newbie, which is fair enough.
    This, as I'm sure you can see, is absolute bullshit when coming from some 15 year old computer nerd, which I was very much so at the time. I'm sorry for the **** I came out with, and hope I can try again at being an honest member of the forum.

=======

Now then, I hope you will offer me some advice. I've started training BJJ under Luiz Tosta (brown belt from Mario Reis) in London, and also with the London Amateur Wrestlers club. As it stands I can realistically hit BJJ classes Monday-Wednesday, and wrestling classes Saturday-Sunday.

What I'm struggling to figure out is how I can incorporate strength and conditioning practise outside of classes - is it simply a matter of slowly building the work capacity until I can hit both a class and a gym workout in one day? My vague plan is to go with the Crossfit 3 days on/1 day off scheme, and substitute a class for a Crossfit workout on any day Saturday-Wednesday. However, I did find today that I wasn't too beat up from my first wrestling class that I couldn't do a (scaled) Crossfit workout. Cumulative fatigue might be another issue, but I have to try the plan out first before I'll know for sure if I can already train Crossfit and classes in the same day.

Sound reasonable? I'd appreciate anyone's insight with their own experiences, especially if you started as someone who wasn't in great physical condition.
    Last edited by angry welshman; 10/18/2008 6:40pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 7:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell me, what exactly does your thread have to do with advanced grappling technique?

Start a thread like this one in DHS again and you'll be banned from that forum. While I appreciate your act of contrition, DHS isn't the place to expunge your guilt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2008 3:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, wasn't sure where to post. Can you move this to an appropriate sub-forum please?

Posted On:
    10/19/2008 4:06am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are just starting training hard don't try to do too much too fast. It looks like you are already doing 5 days with the BJJ + wrestling, don't go adding to this for at least 3 months while your body gets used to the workload. Personally i think 5 a week straight off with no previous hard training is a bit too much, 3 would be safer. Adding crossfit to that would be a good way to overtrain and injure yourself.

Concentrate on perfecting your technique for the first 6 months don't worry too much about strength and conditioning. If this is your first real training regime you will notice strength/size gain just from the classes, I put on 22lbs in the first year of 5 a week martial arts without weights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2008 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good, thanks Sang.