pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    On Halloween I dressed in my judo gi and put on costume handlebar moustache and sideburns. Hedge inspired me. He is an inspirational man.
    You dressed up as Teddy Roosevelt?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 1:44am

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    Wow. These rules are pretty retarded.
    Some of the changes are great - for example the proposed requirements about not being legally blind, narcoleptic, or having ADHD will certainly make reffing smother. However, I'm not sure about this proposed change excluding people with triple digit IQ scores from reffing above the regional level. A Kodokan hachidan rumored something about local shiai requiring IQ scores to be below the double digits. However I must vehemently disagree with him on this point - an IQ of 70 (30 points or two standard deviations below average) should be sufficiently low as only ~1.5% of the population is below this point. Needlessly dropping the requirements from mild mental retardation or borderline intellectual functioning to mentally retarded would make finding refs an extra burden.

There are some excellent changes the USJI has also proposed including:

- Local referee age being raised to 16 and the rank requirement has been dropped. This mean a pre-ukemi white belt can now learn the norms, rules, and techniques of Judo by enforcing and scoring upon them in shiai prior to learning them in the dojo. This should further increase safety as a non-rank holding grappler often notices kawazu gake faster than properly trained Judoka.

- Officially recommending that said 16 year olds read the rules before reffing. This is a stark change from previously recommending not reading the rules prior to being a ref.

- Officially recommending said 16 year olds start as a judge if they are unsure of their abilities and prior to attempting to pass the USJI referee's license exam they should referee uncorrected at 10 shiai. Knowing all of this high falutin' paper work is unnecessary - especially when you can't read or write due to the IQ score restrictions.

Thanks, IJF and USJI! You just continue to make Judo better and better!

edit: yea no **** some of this is a joke, but the disturbing thing is the rest comes straight out of the USJI ref guidelines.
    Last edited by golsa; 11/12/2008 1:48am at .

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 7:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo (w/ interest in BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    Wow. These rules are pretty retarded.

1. If you bend your opponent over and don't let him up to attack you you get a penalty. WTF! I kind of thought that was the point of gripping.

2. Immediate penalization of grabbing the pant leg for any reason. I would now officially not be able to EVER compete in a judo competition again since about 50% of my attacks involve grabbing the legs which generally end up grabbing the pants since we're wearing FUCKING PANTS! Why would I not use a handle that's there? This is also my problem doing no-gi BJJ again people wearing shirts and pants, I like handles.

I think if they want to instill these rules judoka now need handlebar mustaches AND Sambo shorts for competitions.
    On "2"... I believe you can still grab the trousers, but you need to clearly demonstrate that you're in movement for a throw. You can't grab it, and then start the movement.

Te Guruma, Kata Guruma... you can still perform them. But the referees aren't scoring many Morote Gari trips these days (ie: Check the fights from Joao Derly from Beijing 2008).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 10:57pm

Style: Sōsetsuken

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    See on the flyer it said "sankyu and above" was advanced so I put my rank as "sankyu".

Thanks though. Next time i'll learn more about what's actually penalized. To tell the truth, I thought the turtling thing was an unfounded stereotype. Teach me to be open minded.
    Now that I think about it...there really were not a whole lot of advanced players there..so they pretty much just put everybody in divisions where you 'generally' weighed the same.

I know that I am not telling you anything you dont already know by mentioning you really need to work on your standing skills. Your pretty fast...so IMO Seio nage or tai-otoshi would be good throws for you. You also need more kazushi for that Yoko-Otoshi you where attempting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 10:06am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by frozzen
    On "2"... I believe you can still grab the trousers, but you need to clearly demonstrate that you're in movement for a throw. You can't grab it, and then start the movement.

Te Guruma, Kata Guruma... you can still perform them. But the referees aren't scoring many Morote Gari trips these days (ie: Check the fights from Joao Derly from Beijing 2008).
    "Grasp of Trouser:

The "white" contestant takes hold of the trouser leg with a hand to block or attack

Shido - White"

Pretty cut and dry, no grabbing the pants. Sambo shorts here we come!

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 10:40am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that is one rule that will not last. From what I gather its an experiment and the Euros have a huge voting block so it will not last long.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    <off-topic>

Well, I dressed up as a member of the Baseball Furies gang from "The Warriors."

So... nyah.

</off-topic>
    <off topic>

I dressed up as your mom. The kids practically died of fright.

bam BAM BAM

</off-topic>

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDeMierda
    You dressed up as Teddy Roosevelt?
    A couple people thought I was Elvis. (!!!!)
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122