My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    There have been a few vids of WT people fighting in amateur MMA promotions in Europe and winning, so it's not exactly NEVER EVER.

How much WT was actually used and how much crosstraining played a role in their victories are still up for debate, but still, they were WT guys winning in MMA.

Just setting the record straight so chunner noobs don't come flying in here with youtube links and HAR HAR.
    I actually talked to the opponent (an Army Captian) of one of the Chunners who competed in amateur MMA in Germany. I only got to see stills of the fight but from both him and the stills NOTHING the guy did resembled the Chun. Later on it turns out that the guy had started training BJJ and oddly enough the photos of the fight looked like guys doing BJJ. Weird.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 7:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have used wing chun in several real fights though if most people saw the fights they probably would say it wasn't wing chun.

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan
    The only strenght that Wing Tsun has is that of aggresive marketing.

A few examples:

1) In 1993 Sifu Frank Schäfer (has a WT school in Amsterdam) wrote a letter to a dutch fight sport magazine (Zendokan/Fighting Spirit) with a challenge for Remco Pardoel, Hans Nijman and Bas Rutten. These three were in 1993 the best known cagefighters and pancrase fighters in the Nederlands.

The challenge was that they could fight Emin "You haven't seen WT until you've seen Emin" Boztepe at the WT school in Amsterdam teaching a seminare.
    Z/FS contacted Remco and Hans (Bas lived at that time in LA) and they agreed to fight Emin, but a few weeks before the fight Remco broke several bones in a cagefight, so it would only be Hans Nijman.

Day of the fight, Hans shows up with a reporter and photographer of Z/FS and Emin doesn't want to fight, he wants to talk. Emin explains that the articles in which he speaks degenaritive about cagefighters are full with misquotes and he has no problems with Hans, so he doesn't want to fight.
    --> with other words: their marketing campaign backfired.

2) WT promoted itself here in the Benelux as the MA of Bruce Lee. But they went even further with the aggresive marketing:

"Bruce Lee created JKD & Jun Fan Gung Fu because his level of skill wasn't high enough in WC. He added techniques of inferiour MAs to patch the holes in his Wing Chun skills. If he had stayed with Yip Man and learned everything about WC he wouldn't need to learn any other MA.
    Leung Ting stayed and learned the complete skillset of WC from Yip Man and then added the anti-grapple groundtechniques. By adding these techniques WT is better than any other form of WC and superior to JKD."

Every form of WC, especially WT, is all about the talk that they are the deadliest, but they NEVER EVER have proved it.

edit: I took my user name of a Kyokushin Karate club where I crosstrained, in Belgium Zendokan/Fighting Spirit was known under the name Fighting Spirit.

You know whats funny about all this?
    I know that coming up I and my friends loved talking and fantasying about these oen tournaments where any style can compete against another and you can go in and prove your skill. We were all fueled by stories of old MA masters taking on all comers, movies like Bloodsport, Enter the Dragon, Lionheart, etc. There were tournaments a plenty but they all had restrictive rules, you usually had to wear those puffy sparring gear and you could never really "cut loose." Then our dreams were realized. We have a venue where you can go and do pretty much whatever you wanted, obviously not killing your opponent. If you wanted to kick you can kick, Punch, chop, poke, grab, throw, and so on. Now the stage is set and there should be Masters and fighers waiting in droves to get in............but thats not what happened. What you got instead was talk of how "its not REAL MA" although those same pple were always happy to display their point sparring karate trophies all over the place; talk on a "Spiritual" path of MA and how the best way is to never show your skill but then turn around and talk how they would rip out a mans throat ala Roadhouse if ever threatened. So for all the talk of badassery you have pple shunning the best venue we've had in a long time that fits the need as a true test of skill all because its "sportfighting."
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    I have used wing chun in several real fights though if most people saw the fights they probably would say it wasn't wing chun.
    I have used Judo and Boxing in several real fights. If anyone saw they would most likely say it was Judo and Boxing.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 9:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have used my cock before with several women. None of them ever doubted that it was my cock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 10:02pm

Style: Getting less fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    I have used my cock before with several women. None of them ever doubted that it was my cock.
    Sure, one on one. But, how about on the streets, against multiple wimmenz?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 10:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I promised I would never tell that tale again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 10:42pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to join wing chun but then i read all the **** talk, so i switched to mma and boxing.

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 11:58pm

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing chun had me completely brainwashed via books when I used to train kuk sool won.( not a joke)

Then I came to this site and foud enlightenment, and a miracle happened: I began training BJJ and muay thai.

Posted On:
    10/19/2008 2:57am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    You know whats funny about all this?
    I know that coming up I and my friends loved talking and fantasying about these oen tournaments where any style can compete against another and you can go in and prove your skill. We were all fueled by stories of old MA masters taking on all comers, movies like Bloodsport, Enter the Dragon, Lionheart, etc. There were tournaments a plenty but they all had restrictive rules, you usually had to wear those puffy sparring gear and you could never really "cut loose." Then our dreams were realized. We have a venue where you can go and do pretty much whatever you wanted, obviously not killing your opponent. If you wanted to kick you can kick, Punch, chop, poke, grab, throw, and so on. Now the stage is set and there should be Masters and fighers waiting in droves to get in............but thats not what happened. What you got instead was talk of how "its not REAL MA" although those same pple were always happy to display their point sparring karate trophies all over the place; talk on a "Spiritual" path of MA and how the best way is to never show your skill but then turn around and talk how they would rip out a mans throat ala Roadhouse if ever threatened. So for all the talk of badassery you have pple shunning the best venue we've had in a long time that fits the need as a true test of skill all because its "sportfighting."
    This right here ... should be put in a Gospel somewhere.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast