Sponsored Links Spacer Image

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/08/2008 11:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More so then the medals, I'm really glad with my performance. I did alot better then i normally do, and have fixed alot thats been bothering me the last few months. I still need a lot of work, but i think my game is starting to take shape.

I'm extremely happy i've gotten that takedown to work for me again. I used it at my last tournament, too. I've been working on it a lot. I'm trying to figure out a functional no-gi way to do it.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 12:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be very careful with that take down. It is a form of Uki Waza, a kodokan throw. For it to work in competition you really need your opponent to be pushing back at you pretty hard when you drop down. I use it against guys who have minimal experience and who tend to over commit when resisting the push forward.

A more experienced guy will not push back nearly hard enough to complete the throw and you will either end up being under mount or side control far more often than you complete the throw.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 12:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Be very careful with that take down. It is a form of Uki Waza, a kodokan throw. For it to work in competition you really need your opponent to be pushing back at you pretty hard when you drop down. I use it against guys who have minimal experience and who tend to over commit when resisting the push forward.

A more experienced guy will not push back nearly hard enough to complete the throw and you will either end up being under mount or side control far more often than you complete the throw.

I noticed that. I try it on white belts, and i get them. I even get some blues. When i try it on my coach, he just stands there and looks dissapointed.

I was thinking of going for it earlier in the match, but i wasn't fully committed. I knew I couldn't half-ass it, so i waited for him to try and bull-doze me (which wouldn't have worked, i was a stronger then him) and then went for it.

What other takedowns do you reccommend? That, some half ass doubles and singles, and a failure of an osoto is my take-down arsenal.

Oh, i can pull guard pretty well too :p

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice job Moose. Sorry I couldn't be there - I've got a Manchu paper due Wednesday, and have been resultingly locking myself away typing all weekend.
    That, and I forgot the tournament was this weekend. Whoops.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 9:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    What other takedowns do you reccommend? That, some half ass doubles and singles, and a failure of an osoto is my take-down arsenal.

Oh, i can pull guard pretty well too :p
    Honestly, in BJJ comps, it is far and few between where I have seen a completed Kodokan throw that didn't result in a bit of a scramble.

Here is a list of take downs I have seen hit consistantly:

1) Standard Single Leg;
    2) Standard Double Leg;
    3) Ankle Dives/Picks;
    4) Inside and Outside Leg Reaps;
    5) Drop seionagi (when set up well).

Of course I have seen the hip throw (ogoshi), shoulder throw (ipon and meroto seionagi), ouchi mata, hani and hara goshi....BUT you'll be lucky to see one of those land a clean take down for every 20 single legs.

At BJJ comps, the BJJ and wrestling guys usually drop a level from the start and it is next to impossible to get the proper kuzishi to hit a good kodokan throw.

Best advice I can give is stick to 1 through 5 and then work pulling open guard rather than closed guard. Pulling open guard, in my opinion, is much more active and aggressive and is better to off balance your opponent's base. Get your grips and pull open guard at an angle and then work for the sweep or attack immediately, rather than pulling guard and allowing your opponent to settle.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 4:26am

Style: Judo/BJJ/couple months MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I'm trying to figure out a functional no-gi way to do it.
    I sometimes get it (or something like it) with an over under tie up, or a bit more reliably with an over under body lock.

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just registered a few days ago. I was at the OGC 7 and had a lot of fun. It was actually my first time ever competing and I placed 3rd in both gi and the no-gi events. That was competing at white belt 195-210 by the way. I'll be at the one coming up in Union City Ky on Jan 17th too, competing as a white belt, except for by then I'll be competing in the 180-194 division as I continue to get rid of this fat. Look forward to seeing you guys there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 11:13pm

Style: BJJ-Caique, Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would add the Knee tap, arm drag, and head drag to the takedown list. I like them anyway.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12