Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 10:54pm

staff
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu- Austin TX

Phil Cardella is a Relson Gracie black belt, and we also have another black belt, a 4-stripe brown and a 1-stripe brown. The instruction is top-notch, focusing on traditional Gracie-style grappling (but definitely open to other styles incl. 10PJJ/RG), muay thai, and wrestling.

We have a womens' class and a kids' class as well as adult classes 7 days a week. You can train up to 11 hours a day if you want. The academy isn't huge, but it's safe, clean, and adequate if nothing fancy to look at. The community and camaraderie is outstanding. We have a shower too if you want to go straight to work.

If you show up with a good attitude, Phil, Christy, Richard and Richard will bend over backwards to teach you and encourage you. I'm really happy here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 3:48am

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have weapon instruction?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 7:00am

staff
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gave it a four because in the womens' class as we were discussing how jiu jitsu has application to real-world self defense, a weapons question came up and we discussed ways of dealing with guns, knives etc... however, in general, no they don't. I wanted to give credit where it is due, but you're right, there isn't weapons instruction per se. Thanks for clarifying :)
    Edit: Wanted to add that in later classes I have seen that an important component of Gracie jiu jitsu is self- defense, so we have had weapons training (from the countering perspective).
    Last edited by jitschix; 11/15/2008 1:13am at .

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 12:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/SHOOTO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil is laid back, pretty much everyone is.. It's a pretty decent mixture of recreational BJJ and serious competitors. Big names roll through for seminars and stuff. A guy named Donald Park has recently started teaching along side Phil.. He is a Brown under Royler.. Seems to know his stuff. Relson comes every few months for seminars and partying.

The gym is the biggest I've ever been in.. Came from TOKYO though!! Kettlebells, pull up/dips bar, climbing rope, cage-esque back wall, heavy bags... everything I like in a gym. Convenient location and the **** is always open... They even have super early morning training sessions..

good price too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 1:21am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a private off of Phil last year and it was money well spent.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 2:59am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train here. It is the ****. Phil makes some great BBQ, and the grappling level in the academy is top-notch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 9:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am thinking about joining, emailed for more info and phil wants me to come in Saturday at 10:30 for the Muay Thai class. I am 100 percent new to this and think I am bitting off more than I can chew but I love to be pushed.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe I rolled with one of their students! We had a fellow pop in from this Relson school in Austin, by the name of Tommy, who was in a band. He had a great attitude and a really solid game. If he's an indicator (and mid-level students usually are in my opinion), this place is worth a visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.