Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused as why you claim to have compiled this list when the majority of pictures are taken from this recent compilation by Stephen Kesting and Elliot Bayev....

http://www.grapplearts.com/2008/06/g...or-lumping.htm

...you should give credit where credit is due, and the original article does more than just show pictures of each position, it gives a nice brief functional breakdown.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Monkey
    I'm confused as why you claim to have compiled this list when the majority of pictures are taken from this recent compilation by Stephen Kesting and Elliot Bayev....

http://www.grapplearts.com/2008/06/g...or-lumping.htm

...you should give credit where credit is due, and the original article does more than just show pictures of each position, it gives a nice brief functional breakdown.
    Hmmm, I didn't see the posting on Grapplearts. A lot of the pics I scanned in from the three part article by Kesting and Bayev I read in UltimateGrappling mag for the months of Jan-March 2008. I think it is the same thing that is posted by those guys on Grapplearts.

My thread was not intended to "take credit" for anything other than putting together a compilation of what I found on the various positions. I had various shitty pics cut from screen shots of MMA matches for many of the guards, it just so happened that Kesting and Bayev's pics typically showed the position more clearly which is why I used their pics as opposed to my screen shots of say Micah Miller's repeated use of the Leg Hook Guard in his fight against Cub Swanson. I purposefully did not put together the history, a summary, usefulness, etc for each of the positions due to Kestings article in UltimateGrappling. Kesting and Bayev did not come up with the names for these position, while their interpretation as to the utility of the positions they address may be original...which is why I didn't put that info in there.

I just wanted a one stop one pic reference for the guard positions people typically find themselves in but can't name.

Kesting's explanation of the various positions he addresses in his "Guard 101" article is pretty good, but the pics are not original material.

By "compiled" I mean that I scanned, searched, cut, cropped, and labeled the pics. But, I see your point and I'll give reference to Kesting's Article in my original post as the source for many of the pics.

EDIT: **** - I just went through the grapplearts article and they have actually added 6 positions that were not in the Ultimate Grappling Magazine article.

Sitting Half-Guard
    Instep Guard
    X-Guard
    Sitting Open Guard
    Octopus Guard
    Upside Down Guard
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 6/11/2008 10:49am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Hmmm, I didn't see the posting on Grapplearts. A lot of the pics I scanned in from the three part article by Kesting and Bayev I read in UltimateGrappling mag for the months of Jan-March 2008. I think it is the same thing that is posted by those guys on Grapplearts.

My thread was not intended to "take credit" for anything other than putting together a compilation of what I found on the various positions. I had various shitty pics cut from screen shots of MMA matches for many of the guards, it just so happened that Kesting and Bayev's pics typically showed the position more clearly which is why I used their pics as opposed to my screen shots of say Micah Miller's repeated use of the Leg Hook Guard in his fight against Cub Swanson. I purposefully did not put together the history, a summary, usefulness, etc for each of the positions due to Kestings article in UltimateGrappling. Kesting and Bayev did not come up with the names for these position, while their interpretation as to the utility of the positions they address may be original...which is why I didn't put that info in there.

I just wanted a one stop one pic reference for the guard positions people typically find themselves in but can't name.

Kesting's explanation of the various positions he addresses in his "Guard 101" article is pretty good, but the pics are not original material.

By "compiled" I mean that I scanned, searched, cut, cropped, and labeled the pics. But, I see your point and I'll give reference to Kesting's Article in my original post as the source for many of the pics.

EDIT: **** - I just went through the grapplearts article and they have actually added 6 positions that were not in the Ultimate Grappling Magazine article.

Sitting Half-Guard
    Instep Guard
    X-Guard
    Sitting Open Guard
    Octopus Guard
    Upside Down Guard
    Sorry about jumping to accusations right away. It's just that I read the article a day or two ago and then saw this thread today with a bunch of pictures of kesting and bayev, assumed you had read it as well. In fact when I saw the thread title I thought "cool, someone else read it and linked it up".

I'm aware that they did not event any of these positions. Except I think that the article does mention that bayev named the grasshopper guard.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Monkey
    Sorry about jumping to accusations right away.
    No prob man, I understood your point. I first read Part I of the the Kesting/Bayev article in April's Ultimate Grappling Mag and I thought "Hell, I need to scan these in and search for other positions and put together something to post on DHS for ease of reference".

I'm actually going to add the 6 new references in to one of my earlier posts to keep the picture encyclopedia going.

And yeah, the Grasshopper Guard is credited to Bayev.