Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 6:04am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jiu Jitsu International

*mods, please move if appropriate. Can someone also change the title to Jiu Jitsu International? thanks*

I'm starting additional training in a club that's under Jiu Jitsu International. All seems OK so far but I'm wondering about the organisation.
    Does anyone know more about JJI? I checked the website, link, but there's little info and secondary searches for people named on the soke's page reveal nothing.
    Searches for the British Ju Jitsu Federation that he used to head gives no site, but does lead me to the British Ju Jitsu Association, which seems to be lead by a Rober Clarke who is mentioned as a former training partner.
    BJJF is linked to All Japan Ju-Jitsu International Federation.

Long story short, I'm confused whats going on and would like to know what "one of the biggest most highly reputed organization of the world" as their site says is really like.
    I'm happy training now but I've heard of a lot of people who spent years training in a style only to see the light after throwing lots of training years away.

What I plan to do:
    • keep training
    • ask the instructors more questions
    • listen out for feedback
    Last edited by realjanuary; 10/16/2008 6:07am at .

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 6:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much 99% of jujitsu (not BJJ) outside of Japan is bogus. If it isn't then the instructor should have spent at least 10 years in Japan and posses a license from the school to teach the art outside of Japan.

I wouldn't bother with that ****. Just do BJJ or Judo, it's what jujitsu was meant to be. If you want you can go to the Pictures/Video section of that website and see a bunch of guys in red and white belts teaching ridiculous technqiues. Avoid.
    Last edited by Virus; 10/16/2008 6:26am at .

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 9:32am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary
    *I'm happy training now but I've heard of a lot of people who spent years training in a style only to see the light after throwing lots of training years away.

What I plan to do:
    • keep training
    • ask the instructors more questions
    • listen out for feedback
    If you're Happy, yet keep a Question in Mind, why worry?

Some minor points. Any technique should have a principle to support it otherwise what is the purpose? The instructor should be able to disclose the principle. This will also reveal the thought process behind the technique so you can form an intellectual opinion.

How does the class train? I was told to use Resistance during my kyu grades. Oh joy, the blackened arms showing the beginning of muscle separation, being smashed into parquet flooring landing on the back of my Head and so much more.

There's no Holy Grail. Even my military colleagues have got to get civilian instructors in to demo H2H techniques. It's always interesting to visit a MA site and read that the (Civilian) instructor has taught the Mil CQC. Of course in the past this would have been true - certainly JJ was taught in this manner.

Think about Boxing. Good Lord.

I don't know where you are in the World so it's not clear what options you have available.

As you may have read on these boards, Judo is currently undergoing significant change and is drawing constructive criticism.

Perhaps the most important thing is the quality of teacher-instructor and his-her background and experience. Together with thinking for yourself (or asking someone on here more knowledgeable than me) you'll know whether to continue, change or augment.

As for Richard Morris, he's before my time in MA but I recall a senior colleague making a point about Morris and Clark and that is, if you disagreed with them, they'd beat you up. In short, I think he meant that they could FIGHT.

FWIW, I think that Clark and Morris fell out hence the split referred to in the link.

Cheers

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Pretty much 99% of jujitsu (not BJJ) outside of Japan is bogus. If it isn't then the instructor should have spent at least 10 years in Japan and posses a license from the school to teach the art outside of Japan.

I wouldn't bother with that ****. Just do BJJ or Judo, it's what jujitsu was meant to be. If you want you can go to the Pictures/Video section of that website and see a bunch of guys in red and white belts teaching ridiculous technqiues. Avoid.
    After viewing the site and watching the videos I agree with Virus on this. if you are happy with it then have fun. I personally wouldn't go there to train.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 10:07am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everyone once they gain a measure of competency needs to ask themselves what is it that they want to do with the MA they study.

Do you want to become a pro fighter?
    Do you want to eventually open a dojo? Make a living (sacrifice?) at it?
    What if you travel often, is your style recognized, are there branch schools? Organizational support, tournaments ect.

Often if you start for self defence needs you should attain a measure of that after a few years. If you are training for fitness and enjoy the lifestyle and plan on doing it the rest of your life, then make sure it is worth it.

It is pure luck that the styles I trained in are all large and tranferable, even if they are not equally useful.

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watched the Video on the home page.

Not sure the video editors selected the best techniques to draw in people to the Wass- is-dat-crap seminar. I am sure the oktoberfest party will be much more lively affair and will test the skill level.

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 10:42am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    I think everyone once they gain a measure of competency needs to ask themselves what is it that they want to do with the MA they study.

Do you want to become a pro fighter?
    Do you want to eventually open a dojo? Make a living (sacrifice?) at it?
    What if you travel often, is your style recognized, are there branch schools? Organizational support, tournaments ect.

Often if you start for self defence needs you should attain a measure of that after a few years. If you are training for fitness and enjoy the lifestyle and plan on doing it the rest of your life, then make sure it is worth it.

It is pure luck that the styles I trained in are all large and tranferable, even if they are not equally useful.
    100% Agreed. Nice post. Context is the nub of it.

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    Context is the nub of it.
    My context was flawed and vastly over ambitious...I wanted both Olympic golds in TKD and Judo before I was even training regularly or had a clue as to what it takes.

Didn't even come close- and I sleep at night being a 'Never-has-been'. But that was the context I started 16 years ago. I wanted the possibility of them and I still enjoy training when I can.

Now a days, people have the additional dreams of MMA and UFC glory, limos full of chicks and a fat paycheck, but if you are not training in a style that will start you up the ranks, then you are not even giving lip service to your dream.

What is your dream Realjanuary- and will JJI let you reach for them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 6:39am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Was wondering if there was any major problems I should be looking out for (not joining a cult, etc.). Training is good at the moment so I'm keeping at it for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA

What is your dream Realjanuary- and will JJI let you reach for them?
    KO'd DOA: to have the health, knowledge and enthusiasm to train vigorously when I'm old. Yes, I think it will help. I'll keep asking myself that question.
    Last edited by realjanuary; 10/17/2008 6:40am at . Reason: answer question in full