Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    LOL.

    Internal hemorrhaging and/or sepsis isn't an instantaneous death.
    Internal hemorrhaging from a spleen can be a rather quick death, unfortunately. Hard to do, but has been known to happen in sports like football.

  2. #12
    Snake Plissken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,553
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    Internal hemorrhaging from a spleen can be a rather quick death, unfortunately. Hard to do, but has been known to happen in sports like football.
    rather quick and instantaneous are not the same, now are they?

  3. #13
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    rather quick and instantaneous are not the same, now are they?
    If you need that internet validation of your comment........yes./sarcasm

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    rather quick and instantaneous are not the same, now are they?
    Semantics. 5 minutes (ie ambulance cannot save) is instantaneous enough for me. Heck, depending on how you define dead, a bullet in the brain isn't instantaneous either.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    421
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    rather quick and instantaneous are not the same, now are they?
    They are in TeH $treetZ!

    Seriously though, people in real life rarely talk with academic perfection.

    A fun exercise is to take two concepts like "rather quick" and "instantaneous" and come up with different scenarios to see where the definitions break down.

    Words do not have immutable meaning - in fact the percieved meaning of a word can change drasticly in different contexts or even from one day to the next.
    Last edited by 8bit; 10/15/2008 9:31am at .

  6. #16
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    Semantics.
    Irony for the win.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Irony for the win.
    Meh? All I have done is point out there is some medical truth to a few (but not many) of the claims people make about striking. In fact, I am trying to not argue semantics...

  8. #18
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    Meh? All I have done is point out there is some medical truth to a few (but not many) of the claims people make about striking. In fact, I am trying to not argue semantics...
    To what claims?

    Make sure you quote the proper claim that started your little semantics rant. Then maybe you'll see you are arguing semantics.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    To what claims?

    Make sure you quote the proper claim that started your little semantics rant. Then maybe you'll see you are arguing semantics.
    See post #50. I make a comment about internal hemorrhaging, which someone else says isn't an instantaneous death. I point out if your spleen is what is bleeding, it can been quite quick, which (when ignoring semantics) is the same as instantaneous as far as a fight is concerned (aka rupturing your spleen).

    To add some more medical clarity, not all ruptured spleens are going to immediately kill you, but it is considered a medical injury, and people have been known to die from it

  10. #20
    Snake Plissken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,553
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    Semantics. 5 minutes (ie ambulance cannot save) is instantaneous enough for me. Heck, depending on how you define dead, a bullet in the brain isn't instantaneous either.
    Depends on where the bullet strikes, sir. The brain's individual areas aren't all considered equal.

    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason POST #50
    Internal hemorrhaging from a spleen can be a rather quick death, unfortunately. Hard to do, but has been known to happen in sports like football.
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    See post #50. I make a comment about internal hemorrhaging, which someone else says isn't an instantaneous death. I point out if your spleen is what is bleeding, it can been quite quick, which (when ignoring semantics) is the same as instantaneous as far as a fight is concerned (aka rupturing your spleen).

    To add some more medical clarity, not all ruptured spleens are going to immediately kill you, but it is considered a medical injury, and people have been known to die from it
    To add medical clarity:

    You do realize that it isn't the blood loss from theinternal hemmorrhaging , or even the fact that your organ is ruptured, that is going it kill you. It is the poisoning of the surrounding area from the blood loss that is going to kill you and will take time. Granted this time could be measured in minutes, but semantics be damned, this isn't instantanious.

    A ruptured spleen can heal itself and doesn't always reguire surgery or removal of the actual organ.

    Most people will consider instantaious = dead before you hit the floor.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO