Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya should'a said "Smart Bomb"!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2002 9:58am

Style: Wushdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with TaeKwonDo I went to kim's karate and it was a big rip off I could have got killed with that crap they taught me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2002 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wushu is a term that was implemented within the last thirty years by the Chinese government to describe all chinese martial arts. It is used by many people as an equivalent to "Kung Fu". Taijiquan can be considered Wushu, as can Hun Gar; However, it is also typically used to describe the acrobatic style of performance kung fu or martial dance (which is what we typically refer to it as), and yes its worthless in "REAL" fights against experienced individuals, but then again so is TKD and since TKD doesn't look near as cool I voted for it as most useless.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2002 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Sosai Masatatsu Oyama said, "A lot of people spend a lot of time argueing overe which style is better. This is a complete waste of time."
    pat
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    9/13/2002 11:03pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oos!!!

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2002 9:30am

Style: Longfist, Hong Fist, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree that comparing styles is a waste of time. OK sure there are some styles that have no real combat value and we all know what they are (except for PeeDee who seems to believe that the sun rises and sets in Ricksons back yard) but most styles are about how you use them.

There was this special on discovery channel about the history of TKD and they interviewed this guy who was part of a korean special forces unit that operated on the side of the americans in the vietnam war. The trademark of this uinit was to use close combat techniques as a way of elimating scouts and sentries.

This guy has personally killed 22 people using nothing but his TKD training. 22 people ferkrissakes! Thats pretty freakin scary.

PTII. I study Shaolin Northern Long Fist Kung-Fu and Pankration. I recently came 2nd the heavyweight division of the SA Pankration champs. I am really not that good but I do know what I am talking about. When I spar with the senior students from my kung-fu school I get embarassed. They humilate me (in a very friendly way that makes it all the more scary) on the stand-up AND they **** me up on the ground. They can beat me on the ground because I train on the ground with PK tournaments in mind. I am just not used to eye-gouging, fish-hooking or someone using eagle claw to grab my freakin clavicle and twist it.

Also alot of the students come from verrrry dodgy areas of town (say hello to the murder capital of the world) and have had to use their kung-fu to defend themselves. They are still around, their opponents, strangely, are not.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 11:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of waaaay to complicated discussion of forms and techniques and such. The whole point of internal styles SHOULD be to teach you how to expess power. If you ain't got no BANG! in your fists I don't care what you do your just not going to hurt him. That goes for wrestling too. If your not able to get your body to work as a unit you can't bridge out of a pin, you can't controll his head and you can't defend a leg lock.

as for the poll . . . TKD gets my vote. (yeah I've met a couple TKD tough guys too but not enough)

wushu? depends what you mean. Like someone earlier pointed out, wushu is just the chinese word for martial arts, so if if you say wushu is worthless your saying ALL martial arts are worthless.

Literal translation:
    wu - war;martial;military
    shu - techniques;skill

it's not a specific art or even a category of martial arts.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858 ... LastLast